What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can Not Shake This Calcium Deficiency/Lockout For The Life Of Me!! Why???

RockinRobot

My suspicion is that his gas based C02 generator is not completely combusting his NG, which causes severe problems that I experienced first hand. I told OP all about it, and he doesn't even want to consider that it's a possibility.

Here's a thread on the problem over at THCF, not that it matters.

https://bit.ly/2UzoT5T

Had you read a little better, you would have seen the part where his veg area, that doesn't use ANY CO2, is where the issue started and he did indeed find root rot. Root rot was and is his issues as he's tried to explain numerous times.

Not to say burners can't cause issues but stop beating a dead horse.

beta

Veteran
Had you read a little better, you would have seen the part where his veg area, that doesn't use ANY CO2, is where the issue started and he did indeed find root rot. Root rot was and is his issues as he's tried to explain numerous times.

I'd be willing to bet money his veg and flower spaces share air. If his C02 gen in flower is incompletely combusting, sulfur and ethylene are all up in his air everywhere.

RockinRobot

I'd be willing to bet money his veg and flower spaces share air. If his C02 gen in flower is incompletely combusting, sulfur and ethylene are all up in his air everywhere.

And then when he shut his burners down and the issue persisted. Give it a break. First thing he did was shut down the burners and left them off.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Well there's your problem. Your plants need to breath, and you aren't supplementing C02 OR bringing fresh air in.

Even when I used C02 I'd bring fresh air in a couple times a day to get rid of the ethelyne and other built up gasses.

he had the problem before he turned off his co2 and didn't pull in any air.

I agree its pointless having a sealed room with no co2 and no fresh air.. when he switched off the burner he should have got some kind of ventilation going. then it would have been obvious if the co2 was the issue

Lyfespan

My suspicion is that his gas based C02 generator is not completely combusting his NG, which causes severe problems that I experienced first hand. I told OP all about it, and he doesn't even want to consider that it's a possibility.

Here's a thread on the problem over at THCF, not that it matters.

https://bit.ly/2UzoT5T

nG odorizer:tiphat: would be water soluble then

Rabbi

do you have an update?? it would be cool to see how this panned out for you..

Update is I tossed out all my plants(mothers and all), cleaned and disinfected the shit out of everything(which totally sucked balls btw lol) and now have some seedlings on the go. Fingers crossed.

I'll post updates from time to time. Thx for asking:tiphat:.

Rabbi

wow this doesn't look like any type of feed issue, but rather fungus, from anaerobic bacteria. bet that mom smells like a dirty fish tank.

2 possible ways to go, overcome bad bacteria with good, or kill everything with peroxide and hopes the extra oxygen helps carry plant through.

Surprisingly they didn't smell at all.

I tried both the beneficial and sterile route. Neither worked.

Finally decided it was start over time.

Rabbi

I'd be very willing to take that bet as I've mentioned several times now that my veg and flower aren't even in the same buildings.

Rabbi

he had the problem before he turned off his co2 and didn't pull in any air.

I agree its pointless having a sealed room with no co2 and no fresh air.. when he switched off the burner he should have got some kind of ventilation going. then it would have been obvious if the co2 was the issue

I did do this eventually and it was obvious that co2 was not the issue.

Rabbi

Thx Robot, at least someone is listening.

Dude makes it sound like I've refused to consider co2 or the burner could of been the issue. I did consider those things and tried several different options accordingly.

I mean I wish he was right cause that would of been easiest solution by far. Not sure why he keeps going on about it. Must be an ego thing I assume.

DiverDave

Thx Robot, at least someone is listening.

Dude makes it sound like I've refused to consider co2 or the burner could of been the issue. I did consider those things and tried several different options accordingly.

I mean I wish he was right cause that would of been easiest solution by far. Not sure why he keeps going on about it. Must be an ego thing I assume.

I have been following this thread for a bit now and on my next hydro run.
Again I am seeing some kind of slug run-off from the re circulation system.

Before things get bad .. I am going to experiment with a filter system
based off of a fish tank filter but using a five gal bucket as the filter
medium rez.
Going to use 2 of them when I'm done .. so I can switch one every week.

I'll let you know if this did what I feel may be my problem as well...
I was so surprised that nowhere I look , has there been any info on hydro
and a cleaning pump setup for such things ..

Maybe this is how it starts ..

DD

Rabbi

I have been following this thread for a bit now and on my next hydro run.
Again I am seeing some kind of slug run-off from the re circulation system.

Before things get bad .. I am going to experiment with a filter system
based off of a fish tank filter but using a five gal bucket as the filter
medium rez.
Going to use 2 of them when I'm done .. so I can switch one every week.

I'll let you know if this did what I feel may be my problem as well...
I was so surprised that nowhere I look , has there been any info on hydro
and a cleaning pump setup for such things ..

Maybe this is how it starts ..

DD

I've made some adjustments that I'm hoping will help as a preventative this time as well.

Changed from rdwc to low pressure aero, using a uv sterilizer light in my water holding tank(turning it off before adding nutes) and adding 2-3ppm of pool shock twice a week.

See what happens I guess. I've certainly learned the hard way that prevention is the key.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
hello man.. one thing I didn't see you mention was humidity.. and I'm guessing you changed to sealed?? the reason why I was interested in your thread is because I had very similar issue in coco coir. but I was running a semi sealed room with high humidity.

so the air would exhaust for 15mins every hour. the next run I had it circulating twice an hour, and watered a lot less and the problem when away for a run. ive now switched to completely sealed with co2.

anyway after looking at everything you said..

nutes- same
strain- same
same method
co2 is high but could be a factor.
kinda leaves off gassing from the co2 gen or humidty might be too high? too high the plants wont respire and then deficiencies pop up.

not trying to tell you to suck eggs but in sealed rooms humidity needs to be kept in check quite accurately.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
some have said fungal infection.. i doubt it. obviously slime in the root system aint good either though lol.

Rabbi

hello man.. one thing I didn't see you mention was humidity.. and I'm guessing you changed to sealed?? the reason why I was interested in your thread is because I had very similar issue in coco coir. but I was running a semi sealed room with high humidity.

so the air would exhaust for 15mins every hour. the next run I had it circulating twice an hour, and watered a lot less and the problem when away for a run. ive now switched to completely sealed with co2.

anyway after looking at everything you said..

nutes- same
strain- same
same method
co2 is high but could be a factor.
kinda leaves off gassing from the co2 gen or humidty might be too high? too high the plants wont respire and then deficiencies pop up.

not trying to tell you to suck eggs but in sealed rooms humidity needs to be kept in check quite accurately.
Hmm, you're right I did forget to post humidity. Anyway I generally keep it around 50% all the time.

I didn't really change to sealed, I moved. Last place was sealed as well.

Not sure if you saw the pic I posted a few pages back but roots are rotten as hell.

coldcanna

Veteran
If you're hitting 75-80 degrees at only 50% Rh that's a significant stress factor on the plant, try bumping the RH up to 65-70% until week 6-7, then dropping temps down to 73* with 60% RH towards the end. I have grown plants in many environments and learned that maintaining proper VPD has tremendous benefits on overall plant health. I saw you're running 1500ppm of co2, that may be appropriate if you had a really hot and humid room but you don't. My thoughts here is that the high temps and co2 levels and lack of humidity are really stressing out your ladies.

I have found that if you are using a well balanced, reputable nutrient company at a proper EC/PPM, usually your "deficiencies" are not stemming from your lack of providing nutrients, but from some other environmental stress factor or issue in the root zone. There is simply no situation in a hydroponic situation where feeding at an EC of 1.4 (ppm 700) or better would result in a deficiency.

Rabbi

If you're hitting 75-80 degrees at only 50% Rh that's a significant stress factor on the plant, try bumping the RH up to 65-70% until week 6-7, then dropping temps down to 73* with 60% RH towards the end. I have grown plants in many environments and learned that maintaining proper VPD has tremendous benefits on overall plant health. I saw you're running 1500ppm of co2, that may be appropriate if you had a really hot and humid room but you don't. My thoughts here is that the high temps and co2 levels and lack of humidity are really stressing out your ladies.

I have found that if you are using a well balanced, reputable nutrient company at a proper EC/PPM, usually your "deficiencies" are not stemming from your lack of providing nutrients, but from some other environmental stress factor or issue in the root zone. There is simply no situation in a hydroponic situation where feeding at an EC of 1.4 (ppm 700) or better would result in a deficiency.
Hi Canna.

I've actually dropped my co2 levels down to 1000ppm since that first post. Turns out it was a root rot disease I had that was causing the issues though.

65-70% r/h for flower? That sounds really high to me but perhaps I'm wrong. I'm actually probably closer to 55% but in that range. For myself I have had mold issues in the past at 70%. I'd even be nervous at 60% I think.

coldcanna

Veteran
Running high RH in flower is perfectly fine until the last 3 weeks when buds are really setting hard. You figure- the first 3 weeks of flower the plant is producing vegetative growth(stretch), then 4/5th weeks the pistols are starting to stack but not thick enough for botrytis yet. You really only need to worry about bud rot when buds are fully formed and dense. Just make sure you have good air movement.

I have 75 lights going right now and do this in all my rooms. Give it a shot on your next turn, you'll be amazed at the vigorous growth they give you!

Rabbi

Running high RH in flower is perfectly fine until the last 3 weeks when buds are really setting hard. You figure- the first 3 weeks of flower the plant is producing vegetative growth(stretch), then 4/5th weeks the pistols are starting to stack but not thick enough for botrytis yet. You really only need to worry about bud rot when buds are fully formed and dense. Just make sure you have good air movement.

I have 75 lights going right now and do this in all my rooms. Give it a shot on your next turn, you'll be amazed at the vigorous growth they give you!

Ya that's a lot of lights alright. When i was getting mold at 70% it
wasn't just on the plants themselves, it was growing everywhere.

But if you're rockin with it the only the thing I can think is maybe I didn't have enough air movement or something.

Might to have to give it a try again sometime once back on my feet again. Thx for the tip.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
ive only really had bud rot at cooler temps and higher humidity.

yeah I just saw the root pics.. hopefully that was the only issue and you have it resolved.. it would be good to see an update with your new plants to see if you resolved the issue :)