What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Myco/Mychorrhizae Products: What Do YOU Swear By And Why?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Great. Can't wait to see your results D.C.

Maybe you can do next some comparison tests with bacteria products VS AACT (Actively Aerated Compost Tea) in comparison to a standard organic soil.
Thanks. :)

This experiment was actually paid by the company for product X. I've literally spent 15+ years growing cannabis with NPK/Micros and almost nothing else. Could never afford it. lol This is why you'll find 99% of my advice on growing deals with nutrient balance, pH and other environmental conditions. lololol I need a lab and a budget so badly. heh

Is there any benefit to using myco / trich / bacteria in a coco DTW (hydro) system?
I would like to know this as well. My guess is "not really," since the only organic in there is the coco. Anyone else have a better explanation and answer? :D

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mycorrhizal fungi would serve no benefit as the nutrients and water are readily supplied. The fungi will not associate with roots unless nutrients and water are scarce. Don't think too hard what that means for nutrient rich organic mixes watered regularly.

There is little evidence to support any of the host of other microorganisms peddled, from viability to sustaining populations. The medium determines what flourishes, not the applied inputs. Microbeman has spoken on this many times here, on his website and his forum. It is a view supported by a wide margin of soil biologists.

Trichoderma is already there. Coco can host many varieties of microorganism and while not popular compared to grain can be used as a substrate in mushroom cultivation.

The height of willful ignorance is to disregard information based on the contributor/source. Thankfully that is not as issue with you Dougie, almost everything you say is crap, from the academically dismissed blood type diet onwards. You are what is commonly refered to as a crank.

Oddly enough I take the time to research contrary opinions. I skipped debates in highschool but the jist of it sunk in. Make your case, make your opponents case, then attack from both ends.

Besides corporate literature and funded studies I can never find much to support the expense of microbial inputs. If anyone were to have solid peer reviewed/high citation information to share I would be happy to read it.

beta

Veteran
My research on the topic has indicated the same thing, at least in terms of nutrition. What I'm wondering is... Would trichoderma / myco / bacteria protect my root zone from opportunistic pathogens like pythium?

I know most coco comes with trichoderma, but I hydrate my coco bricks with boiling water to sterilize them so I think I'm probably killing it.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Compile a list of the microrganisms and hit ResearchGate?

Just a quick gander shows various Trichoderma species spores surviving heat treatment at 60C for 24hrs. It is a pathogen to mushroom cultivators and there is likely much more to dig through.

How well any function in our various applications is guesswork. There is a lot of literature but very little that relates directly. T. harzianum is one of the more robust and appears suited for our purpose re: salinity but confirming that it provides adequate protection is another task.

Douglas.Curtis

I'm wondering is... Would trichoderma / myco / bacteria protect my root zone from opportunistic pathogens like pythium?
Full health with allow the plant to protect itself, so yes. :)

I know most coco comes with trichoderma, but I hydrate my coco bricks with boiling water to sterilize them so I think I'm probably killing it.
Yes, but trichoderma is everywhere and will replenish itself within minutes of it cooling down.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wallace Organic Wonder, because I didn't grow up with plastic growstore ripoff weed that tastes like snake oils and cost hundreds of dollars a lb to grow, I grew up on a farm, with dirt and manure and wise decisions assisted by people who want to improve the world not just their pocketbooks.

Pros? It cheaper than hydro store bullshit and actually works

Cons? It still cost money

https://wallacewow.com/products/wallace-organic-wonder-best-mycorrhizal-fungi-for-sale-1-pound

Use after tilling and anytime I think the roots have formed something substantial. During transplant into the soil. Of course I'm new to the closet slave environment, I know most indoor people don't like dirt or endosymbiotic microbes or good tasting weed. But they do like patting themselves over the back after fulfilling another checkmark on the "I did it" sheet. So expect a bunch of recommendations for "Cannabis specific" garbage at 100$ an ounce.
I tried this stuff in my latest grow.

Holy crap. I've never seen such explosive growth out of a soil grow before.

Granted, I've mostly grown in hydro up until this lat year. But these plants are easily the same size as my hydro plants at the same stage of growth. It's f'n remarkable how fast they're growing.

You certainly sold me on this stuff.

beta

Veteran
Full health with allow the plant to protect itself, so yes. :)

Does inoculating with myco / trich / bacteria = 'full health'? If I don't inoculate with those products can I not reach 'full health'? I'm a bit confused by your answer...

Dawgfunk

I always love to add some mykos to the hole I’m planting in...I’ve forgot to put it in in the past and sitting next to its clone sis, I noticed it took longer to take and also didn’t take off nearly as vigorously as the one wi mykos. Just my observation.

Dawgfunk

Also love some dr earth to add to the mix :) Can’t beat it. Easy, tasty herb. But that coot notill...you wouldn’t need any of that stuff. His mix is loaded w pretty much everything the babies need.

beta

Veteran
Ok, you might want to step back and read up on myco. This is a thread about what products you swear by and why. Appreciate it though.

I've never seen anything that indicates that plants require supplementation with myco for "full health" I understand what myco does, but afaik it is not a requirement for full health. If it is, I'd love to see the science on it instead of being dismissed as a pest. I believe this falls under the 'why' of this thread.

Douglas.Curtis

Myco products used:
Product X
Elite Root Igniter
Earth Juice Rooter's
Great White Granular
Great White Premium
Orca

Temp 76F
RH 25%
18/6
Jiffy mix
r/o filtered water

All seeds were soaked for 12hrs, then planted according to product recommendations. Only seeds which sank were used. (I don't particularly care, but figured for the experiment it would simply remove a variable) Control seeds were simply put in the trays the same way and watered.

All trays were kept moist until sprouted, then watered regularly. No domes were used and there was a constant slight breeze. All drainage was separated between trays to prevent cross contamination. At day 20 there was a non-watering event, so some data collected relates to recovery ability.

The control group plants had the driest leaves, all the way through. All the plants inoculated with myco products exhibited thicker leaves with a much softer feel to them. Rooter's showed the healthiest and strongest growth in the beginning, with the largest leaf spans for primary and secondary leaf sets.
Yellowing, from least to greatest after recovery.
GW Gran
Orca
GW Prem
Product X
Control
EJ
ERI

Though slightly slower than the Rooter's in the beginning, GW Granular showed very strong health throughout, and definitely won the non-watering event without question. I was very surprised to see the granular perform better than the premium version. As far as I can tell, the GW Granular is 'only' glomus intraradices, while the premium has a list of additional mycos.

Orca had the densest looking root masses, with the most fine hair roots of average length.. Rooter's had the longest sets of roots, while the control group made the shortest and weakest root sets.

Rooter's had the longest leaf stem lengths and the second tallest plants. All of the plants had average stem thickness, with little variation. Product X did have one stem which was 40% wider than the next thickest stem. I discounted it as seed variation, since the remaining plants were nothing to remark about. Even the control plants had the same stem thickness averages as all the other trays.

Based on overall health, secondary growth rates and root ball sizes, GW Granular and Orca are the clear winners. Rooter's would be my second pick, or first pick if price was an issue. All of the products did very well, compared to the control group. This is my first time using myco products and I'm sold on their worth without question.

Am I sold on these specific products? Not necessarily, I'm more sold on the use of glomus intraradices at this point. :) I can say I will definitely be using myco in the future, and I look forward to trying some of the "other mentions" in this thread.

beta

Veteran
1. Nobody said anything about 'need' for myco here.

My question: "Would trichoderma / myco / bacteria protect my root zone from opportunistic pathogens like pythium?"

Your answer: "Full health with allow the plant to protect itself, so yes. "

You made the suggestion that tricho / myco / bacteria are required for full health, so I really don't understand why you're being so defensive about it.

3. I'm not here to hold your hand, I am not responsible for walking you through anything.

Was there a myco product you had experience with? Would you care to share these experiences with us and your thoughts on why? This is the subject of the thread. I spend several hours a day answering questions, so someone getting lippy about not explaining something which isn't the subject is a real hoot.

Thanks for sharing. :tiphat:

Is it off topic for someone to ask why other people are using the myco they use? I'm not sure why you're so offended to be discussing the literal and actual topic of this thread, but if that's the case maybe you need a little break?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As I suggested before, go read up on myco

We wouldn't even be here if you bothered to follow your own advice. Reading product pamphlets doesn't add up to "research".

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why question which snakeoil is best? Money forward, marks! Product X 2020!