What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cold weather effect ballast?

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My ballast sits outside my grow tent, the temps in the room are between 50-65 (F), I expect them to get even lower as winter ensues.
Sometimes my electric dimmable ballast won't fire up when the timer kicks on, as soon as i pick it up & check all connections it will kick on.
I had no problems with it starting when i had a 250 w HPS bulb in it, now that i have the 600 HPS bulb it started happening.

I was thinking maybe because it's cold it effects start up, cause every time i pick up the ballast its housing is ice cold.
Also I don't have heat in this room, i have a small electric heater but if the light goes on when the heater's on it trips the circuit breaker.

troutman

Seed Whore
Maybe set that heater on another timer that goes off 5 minutes before the light comes on.
This way the room would be warm, the circuit breaker won't jump and maybe your problem
would be gone.

St. Phatty

YES. Condensation can cause MAJOR HAVOC on electrical equipment.

Would watch it like a hawk, and give it its own place, surrounded by non-flammable materials.

M

metsäkana

i used gavitas in room that was 100% humidity and temps dropping under +10c with no problems there was also regular 600w ballast in that room all worked good.. :D i dont recommend it but

sound weird maybe if they get on -c temps but i think it reads on the manual +10c-+50c operation temp or storage or what evers lol

all of my equipment i think froze at somepoint and no problems that i seen so far .. compared to stuff that was not froze..

M

metsäkana

do you use those crappy cheap timers .. they break up and dont fire the ballasts ..

buy that controll panel type timer .. not those cheap tiny ones

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
do you use those crappy cheap timers .. they break up and dont fire the ballasts ..

buy that controll panel type timer .. not those cheap tiny ones

I have one of those dial timers that comes with lil plastic things you insert for on/off.. i don't think it's the timer + the timer is rated for more watts than I'm consuming

YES. Condensation can cause MAJOR HAVOC on electrical equipment.

Would watch it like a hawk, and give it its own place, surrounded by non-flammable materials.

Good to know!!

Maybe set that heater on another timer that goes off 5 minutes before the light comes on.
This way the room would be warm, the circuit breaker won't jump and maybe your problem
would be gone.

I tried that tonight, same issue.. i thought the ballast was done for sure until i opened up my air cooled reflector & made sure the bulb was tight, before i even touched the bulb it fired on.. Maybe there's a connection issue with the wiring to the hood?

troutman

Seed Whore
You may have to order a new one soon just case it dies for good.

Maybe there's a loose connection inside the ballast.

M

metsäkana

it dont matter if its rated for it THEY DONT WORK.... those small ones dont work.. even its 3600w and you only use 400w hps.. the amps when it fire up is somehow burning the timers..

if it dont look like big box it dont work

THESE WORK:
control-unit-with-grasslin-timer-6x600w~Img_Principale_4926.jpg
these type

the small crap ones always burn even they rated much more than you are using

https://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/33000397/images/23tmr001-timer-p01a.jpg
23tmr001-timer-p01a.jpg
these kind never work even they are digital

St. Phatty

Also, consider using dielectric grease on the connectors.

It's goop designed for cars. Helps keep the electrical connection going when moisture comes around.