What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Crossing high THC strains with low THC strains

PinTac

Hello everyone! I would like to hear your opinion on crossing high THC strains with low THC strains (I mean very low, like industrial hemp).

Many people say that this would ruin the potency completely, but this does not make sense to me. I know the potency would vary from each individual but in general I would say that the potency would be “mid range” between the two parents.

Thoughts and experiences are very welcome! Thanks

burmese

,,high,, is more important factor as a complete interact benefit than potency //although potency modulate high factor constantly// ,,
differently asked: you can have stronger high plant but need smoke twice amount of ganja

CannaZen

The thc allele may be almost (non) existent from one side of the parental line.

Crossing hemp with thc dominant cannabis would result in the offspring being heterozygous
an individual having two different alleles of a particular gene or genes, and so giving rise to varying offspring.
and therefor a different ratio of THC to CBD but i believe may not have a significant difference in total cannabinoid content levels depending upon the cannabinoid precursor gene allele frequency of different hemp.

Does hemp contain THC alleles but at an extremely low frequency? I guess perhaps not all hemp produce cbd predominantly (aka homozygotes, having double cbd alleles at that particular gene.) Is allele frequency for each allele conjoined between each parent? or could two alleles of the same type have one being more frequent than the other due to one of the parents having had a higher frequency of said allele that it has passed on?

Remember cannabinoid precursors are produced via other gene alleles and then they turn into cannabinoids such as thc/cbd via the BT (THC) or BD (CBD) alleles synthase pathway gene, for instance. Higher or lower precursor could mean higher or lower total cannabinoid content.

My question is how does allele frequency increase occur during breeding, from what i am reading it says that that (natural) directional selection
occurs when members of a population at one end of the spectrum are selected against while those at the other end of the spectrum are selected for or favored. Over time, the distribution of allele frequencies will shift in the favored direction.
Apparently inbreeding
increases the relative proportion of homozygotes to heterozygote
and not allele frequency. The difference between breeding and inbreeding is relative, variation between individuals = population = room between individuals to select against or for those extremes but to be honest that sounds more along the lines of epigenetics because you could say that breeding a landrace varietal is inbreeding because you are only crossing individuals between that single genepool, not a very different concept of the genepool of a single individual.. I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around it. The range between that which the frequency of alleles may shift is relative to population size?

Last edited:

ahortator

Veteran
Ask to anyone living in the USA Midwest. They have there tons of ditchweed pollen flying around while flowering. I think they feel not extremely happy :laughing: :biggrin: