What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hooked On Ponics

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I didn't take pictures when the ones from the green unit where moved.

Today (3-7-16)

The six biggest ones from the green aero unit (in number spots, 1-6) where moved to the last 6 open holes (picture from above as reference to where to) in the New (blue) aero unit.
picture.php

Looking across the green unit towards the New unit.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The last group of seedlings

picture.php

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
The three groups of seeds, this is a break down of what is all there. Most of the plants are showing sex.
15 plants from the first group of seeds
-13 HP6 X D.D. x BMS#1
-1 HP2 X D.D. x BMS#1 (male)
-1 HP2 X HP (F2) (Male) this is the only F2 seed that came out of a cola that I pollinated

13 plants from the second group of seeds
-8 HP6 X D.D. x BMS#1
-4 HP2 X D.D. x BMS#1
-1 HP6 X Double Dutch

33 plants from the 3rd group of seeds
8 HP6 X Double Dutch (1 is kind of mutant like, most are showing the double dutch's long leaf stems)
12 HP3 X Double Dutch
13 HP5 X ? Unknown

Total of 61 plants from seed

BOOMHAUER

Hey Gano have you ever seen this? I have only seen this twice. I just pulled these two plants (males thankfully) because the stems look like they have rotted. The only other time is the first time I ran these seeds 6 months ago. Its only on seed plants and never clones:

These pictures are 2 weeks after transplant from cloner to hydroton cups. I'm wondering if its from my neoprene pucks. They are getting chucked.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I've seen some stems kind of get a "pinched" look around the area that the neoprene collar contacts/holds the stem. I've never seen a stem get a ring around the stem like that, that I can recall. It looks like it could be a possible fungus, but I'm not positive. I sterilize my neoprene collars before reusing them, I boil a pot of water and let them soak in the hot water.

BOOMHAUER

I've seen some stems kind of get a "pinched" look around the area that the neoprene collar contacts/holds the stem. I've never seen a stem get a ring around the stem like that, that I can recall. It looks like it could be a possible fungus, but I'm not positive. I sterilize my neoprene collars before reusing them, I boil a pot of water and let them soak in the hot water.

That's what I figured too. I have a new batch of seeds I transplanted Friday on my other table and they all look fine. I think from now on if I have seeds I'll just use new pucks.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
You could also move the stem up and down so the collar isn't on the same spot on the stem while in the collar.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Things got a little backed up on me. The room that I was intending on moving everything into had some mites that took up residence in the room on a few plants. Everything in that room has finish flowing and been harvested, now I can make sure the room is mite free before I start flowing any thing. I intended to transplant the plants into coco when they where young but with the hold up they ended up just staying in their hydro units. Not sure yet if I'll flower them like that or just take cuttings and deal with. Haven't mentioned this but I intend to flower out the males too.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Obviously, this is an old thread. Hopefully you have modified your hydro hardware to produce a more complete root system exiting the net pots

I developed a DIY Bubble Bath using a 24 can igloo cooler and overhead light crate under which are multiple 4" discs. It's very shallow (< 2"). The resulting bubbles are breaking at the bottom of each net pot facilitating 360* rooting. This will lead to better anchored plants if transitioning to F & D as I do

Here's a couple pics. The tall sat is in a bubble bucket. It's a PITA to change nutes as the entire plant must be removed first. F & D with outboard rez is the way to go.

Drop by my threads for complete information and updates

View attachment 363284
View attachment 363285 View attachment 363283 View attachment 363286

View attachment 363287

gmanwho

Veteran
Hey Gano have you ever seen this? I have only seen this twice. I just pulled these two plants (males thankfully) because the stems look like they have rotted. The only other time is the first time I ran these seeds 6 months ago. Its only on seed plants and never clones:
View Image View Image View Image View Image View Image
These pictures are 2 weeks after transplant from cloner to hydroton cups. I'm wondering if its from my neoprene pucks. They are getting chucked.

while its was a few months ago you posted this.

i have seen the same things happen in my rooms as well. yours looks like it may have originated from the neoprene collar from earlier. mine happen when i keep the rapid rooter to wet.

sometimes even after you remove the collar, or rapid rooter, that bacteria will still thrive, an rot out the stem. what i do is keep a spray bottle of diluted physan 20 on hand.

whenever i see something loooking like your pick, i spray around the base. usually in one or 2 sprays its killed off whatever bacteria it maybe. i also then up pot so i know that infected area is now inches higher then max flood height or however high the water can wick up. i can see the salt build up on your net pot is just below the infected area. it always seems to happen just above max flood height....

it seems the continued moisture it gets from flood times will keep the rot alive. physan 20!!!! but just spray it at the base. i dont run it in the system.

bsafe

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I finally got to the point where I could start to flower the first of the plants. I only ended up with a few males compared to the amount of females.

This bubbler tub is all males

picture.php

picture.php

This tub contains 4 females and one male

picture.php

picture.php

O

OG Tree Grower

How are you supporting those plants once they go into flower. Looks like two have fallen over already?

I agree with flora, your roots could bennifit from more air

Love to see new ideas! Thumbs up!

Slipnot

How are you supporting those plants once they go into flower. Looks like two have fallen over already?

I agree with flora, your roots could bennifit from more air

Love to see new ideas! Thumbs up!

Well if i was to pick which plants looked healthier i would pick the op's i think many people to quickly jump to more air is always better but Contrary to popular belief , its not always the case

While most crops seem to prefer about 9 PPM DO, some crops like lettuce have demonstrated little to no difference in fresh weight or dry weight when grown in DO levels ranging from 2.1 PPM to 16.8 PPM (Albright et al, 1996). The low level of DO necessary for lettuce growth helps explain why the non-circulating Kratky method of hydroponic growing is so successful for growing lettuce. Conversely, some types of hydroponic systems require saturated or even supersaturated DO levels to yield vigorous growth, as is the case with NFT systems where ideal DO levels can surpass 40 PPM.

Dissolved oxygen levels in tap water are typically between 5-7 parts per million (PPM) at room temperature. Temperature has a powerful effect on how much oxygen can be held by water molecules. The warmer the water is, the less gas it is able to hold. Fully oxygenated water at 68° Fahrenheit will hold about 9 PPM of DO, while the same water at 86° Fahrenheit only holds about 7.5 PPM (over 15% less DO). It should come as no surprise then that the ideal temperature for maximizing root growth in hydroponic systems is 68° Fahrenheit, the temperature at which water naturally holds the 8-9 PPM of DO, which is the very amount of DO necessary to support vigorous plant growth in most crops. Water holds both dissolved solids like fertilizer as well as dissolved gases like CO2 & O2. The higher the PPM (dissolved solids), the less gases water can hold, so be aware that over fertilizing often occurs in conjunction with oxygen deprivation.

O

OG Tree Grower

Ok...

Wasn't insulting the guy. Just giving some friendly advice without going overboard.

Oh btw we grow weed on this forum not lettuce

Slipnot

Ok...

Wasn't insulting the guy. Just giving some friendly advice without going overboard.

Oh btw we grow weed on this forum not lettuce

There is always got to be one smart ass remark in any thread from some clown :moon::laughing:

Attachments

• gallery_11738_4816_87674.jpg
    gallery_11738_4816_87674.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 15
  • gallery_11738_4816_339701.jpg
    gallery_11738_4816_339701.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 16