What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Buzzzzd

Thanx for the responses!!! The cobbs are 1" dia x 3" long. I form them in this cherry wood mold and then wrap the seams in sealing tape and sweat them in the mold. After sweating I take them out and wrap it in saran wrap (not well enough I guess)
cobb1.jpg

I figured that the wood would soak up extra moisture. I will be getting a vacuum sealer soon, the one I have is crap!! I was hoping I could get away with it.
All suggestions are appreciated !!!!:dunno:
Should I go smaller than 1" if so any suggestions?? I'm also thinking of doing the cure in the mold - I should have done one of each method this time.

Buzzzzd

I'm just thinking outside the box here - last cob I made after it was cured etc. I cut it into 1/8" thick "coins" and dipped them in melted chocolate - helps hide the flavour. What about dipping the whole thing in chocolate or honey. It would be well sealed!!! :ROFLMAO:

Tangwena

Veteran
Well SHIT !!!! Opened up my cobb and found this!!! Sweated about 30 hours and cured for 7 days....
View attachment 18889263
Whitish on the left and gray blue on the right - is there any salvage or is it compost - wipe down with peroxide??
This is very disheartening.
Use a sharp knife and like whittling wood shave off the outside skin the underneath will be fine.
Then dry it.
Its only on the surface skin by the look of it.
Its also plenty cured by the looks of it.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanx so much...I was hoping that might work.
Do you think that 1" dia. is too large? I have no idea what the norm would be.
No its a perfect size it was just too moist still and not vacuum sealed other than that it is all good my friend.
Once you have the color change you need to slow dry the cob before re sealing.
Its true you can do it without a vacuum sealer but its way easier with one.

CaptainLucky

I'm a dedicated herbivore these days just love the taste and smell of cob cured herb.
But then I always chewed any stalks I found when making joints.
I have a question for you about making cobs. This will be my first attempt and I’m wondering how do you tie the string after you wrap it? Also the corn husks are a little moist. Will that be a problem? I’m going to be using my Golden Tiger buds btw. CL🍀

Tangwena

Veteran
Nice buds for a first cob I like it ha ha.
The cobs can be finished using 2 half hitches basically two loops one after the other.
I like to use green husks but any husk you can work with will be perfect.

Ensuring the buds are nicely dried before cobbing is essentially the first step.
Please post pics for us all to savor and in my case drool over ha ha.
You can tell I'm a good 3 months from my next journey with Alice ha ha.

I was looking at the new seedlings today and the sense of excitement was mounting.
There is nothing more exciting than creating your own work of canna curing art. I hope you hit the jackpot with your cure.
Its heady and a rewarding experience when you get it right.

Hiccup

Thanx for the responses!!! The cobbs are 1" dia x 3" long. I form them in this cherry wood mold and then wrap the seams in sealing tape and sweat them in the mold. After sweating I take them out and wrap it in saran wrap (not well enough I guess)
View attachment 18889361
I figured that the wood would soak up extra moisture. I will be getting a vacuum sealer soon, the one I have is crap!! I was hoping I could get away with it.
All suggestions are appreciated !!!!:dunno:
Should I go smaller than 1" if so any suggestions?? I'm also thinking of doing the cure in the mold - I should have done one of each method this time.

There'll be a fair bit of air in the tiny spaces of that mold. The cob itself needs to be air tight otherwise you're just wrapping up wet weed, which will always mould.
Cling film (saran wrap)  might be good enough, but like I say, you have to make sure that there is no air in there. This is why vac sealers are good, they take out the guess work. Just bare in mind that it's an anaerobic process as far as I understand it.

Asentrouw

The mixed old/fresh bud cob is now 2,5 weeks vaccumed.

Last week it really started sweating after a heatwave pushed temps to about 33C.

So how long do I let the fermentation go on?

When I open the vacbag; What do I have to look for and when is the best time to dry and cure it?

Attachments

• 20230913_151657.jpg
    20230913_151657.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41

Tangwena

Veteran
The mixed old/fresh bud cob is now 2,5 weeks vaccumed.

Last week it really started sweating after a heatwave pushed temps to about 33C.

So how long do I let the fermentation go on?

When I open the vacbag; What do I have to look for and when is the best time to dry and cure it?
I would def open it now and dry if needed.
If its been sweating it should need drying by now.
Please post good close ups so we can see whats been happening color wise.

sneezydog

Ya a little sharp over the top smell is fine imo, colors look great. Tang will probably tell you the terps might be less but itll be trippier.... Beautiful work.
As it drys a bit that smell will change.
Maybe try a cobbing with a natural wrapper inside the bag to compare with one with just the bag, to see the difference. It holds a little of that extra moisture to keep a more even level.