What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Team Microbe's Living Soil Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Microbe

Veteran
Hey everyone,

I'm an indoor/outdoor gardener who just recently made the switch to organic soil. My goal is to grow the cleanest and healthiest meds for myself and my family here, and I can say it's been an epic journey into living organics. I'm seeing completely different results compared to my grows in the past with bottled nutrients... healthier plants, less inputs, and better results as a whole. Who would've thought...

Growing in organic soil and finally comprehending how the living system works came with an epiphany for me, and it hit like a brick wall. It was relatable to so many things in life, including the similarities between plant health and human health. When I made this relation, I realized that this was the path that I needed to pave. Since then it's been a never-ending learning experience, and an addicting one at that.

I encourage anyone and everyone to contribute to this thread with questions, advice, shared experiences, and knowledge of all kinds. All I ask is to keep it positive, no negativity allowed! Enough talk though, let's get into it already:

picture.php

These are hittin week 2 in here - Silver Lotus by Bodhi

picture.php

My humble abode. I framed out this 5'x10' flower tent with 2x4's and lined it with panda film to cut down on costs. The floor is lined with pond liner, and my lungs are lined with canna resin.

picture.php

A 7 gal prepped for transplant day this week... I love seeing those barley roots. I kept a 2 gallon pot in this whole to act as a template (took it out for this picture)

picture.php

The newest addition! The Worm Inn (mega). They say, "once you get your humus down, the rest is easy street...". I just added worms yesterday, and have slowly been getting used to the amount of food they're able to eat without overfeeding. It's definitely an art... I now respect fellow vermicomposters out there for sure. Just another thing to nerd out on for me, which is always a good thing.

picture.php

A CVK mother gettin flowered out... the terp profile on this strain is out of this world. Has anyone else grown CVK before?

Last edited:

Team Microbe

Veteran
picture.php

All of the girls in flowering are sitting in either 7 gal or 10 gal pots, with no training. I like watching the true genetic traits of every strain, and let them grow to their full potential. When watering with cytokines, it really encourages the lower branches to grow up and compete with the colas; creating a bushier structure. I like this because I can cut my veg time down by a few weeks and still get good light penetration on each plant's bud sites

My Soil Mix:

1 pt. Peat Moss

1 pt. Rice Hull

1 pt. Compost

mixed with:

Acadian Kelp Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot

Neem Cake and Karanja Cake 50/50 Mix @ 1/2 cup per cubic foot

Crustacean Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot

Gypsum Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Brix Blend Basalt @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Glacial Rock Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Oyster Flour @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Fish Bone Meal @ 1/2 Cup Per Cubic Foot

I'll mix this up and water with EM1 before letting it compost down into a plant-available mix. This is actually the mix that Buildasoil.com sells as their living soil, I just bought the ingredients locally along with their nutrient pack to complete the mix. It's working great for me so far, is anyone else in this mix? Or something similar?

Team Microbe

Veteran
Back from long non posting spell here...
Growing my own organic meds and food for some time I recomed you this reading http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/teaming-with-microbes-wayne-lewis/1116805658?ean=9781604691139
It helped me to understand and evolve to hydro shops free growing!
And by the look of your plants you are doing great job anyway!:tiphat:

GREAT recommendation! This is the book that changed everything in my garden, I tell every grower new to organics to give this a read because of how convincing it is to drop the bottles and move to soil. It's actually the reason behind my user name as well :laughing:

Thanks for the compliments as well, always appreciated.

Granger2

Veteran
Team Microbe,
Goji looks absotively awesome.

After mixing, how long did your soil cook before use? I'll call buildasoil ma~ana to see if they will sell me the same in a nute pack. Shipping on soil too much.

How tall do your plants get in a 10 gal? 7 gal? Is 7 gal enough? I'm in 3x3x6.5' stalls with 600w.

You mentioned "watering with cytokines." Please explain.

How often do you inoculate with EM1?

Are you using *anything* with your water? What kind of water? pH'd?

What about re-use? Their site says nutes last for a year with multiple uses. I know pot size determines that to an extent. Do you think top dressing 2nd, 3rd, etc. crops with the nute mix would work well?

I may think of more questions. You said we could ask. Thanks. -granger

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice thread start Team Microbe.

Very much the same as what I am doing now, just started worm bins a couple weeks ago and am using the clackamas kit to re-amend my recycled soil. I wet it with homemade lacto b serum then and leave to "cook".

Im looking forward to using my own vermicompost and sure you feel the same. I like how you started the living mulch in the final pot with an empty pot in the hole where your going to put the transplant. Wish I had the space to do that but my veg/clone/mother cab is retarded small right now.

Nice to see others on the same path. Anyway now I am tagged up here to watch the show.

Team Microbe

Veteran
Team Microbe,
Goji looks absotively awesome.

After mixing, how long did your soil cook before use? I'll call buildasoil ma~ana to see if they will sell me the same in a nute pack. Shipping on soil too much.

How tall do your plants get in a 10 gal? 7 gal? Is 7 gal enough? I'm in 3x3x6.5' stalls with 600w.

You mentioned "watering with cytokines." Please explain.

How often do you inoculate with EM1?

Are you using *anything* with your water? What kind of water? pH'd?

What about re-use? Their site says nutes last for a year with multiple uses. I know pot size determines that to an extent. Do you think top dressing 2nd, 3rd, etc. crops with the nute mix would work well?

I may think of more questions. You said we could ask. Thanks. -granger

Thanks Granger, Bodhi really does some great stuff with that Snow Lotus male doesn't he?

After mixing in the nutrient pack I watered with EM1 and let it sit for 3-4 weeks to break everything down. You could go longer, but like many I was in a time crunch trying to get the next run up and going

They get as tall as I allow them to really... it depends how long I keep them in veg for. The bigger the better though, I would go 10 gallon if you can. Usually I'll let them go like 6 weeks if I don't train or top em. The girls I left untrained in the 7's caught up to the topped ladies in no time. For now on I'll be running more strains with no training so I can fit as many different strains in the tent as possible.

picture.php

Cheesequake x Hollister Kush left un-trained for 6 weeks in a 10 gallon pot

How many can you fit in your 3'x3'?

You could do one monster in a big pot like a 15 or 20 gallon and have the same yield as 4 smaller plants, that's all preference though so I'll let you figure that out.

Cytokinin Functions:

"A list of some of the known physiological effects caused by cytokinins are listed below. The response will vary depending on the type of cytokinin and plant species (Davies, 1995; Mauseth, 1991; Raven, 1992; Salisbury and Ross, 1992).

Stimulates cell division.
Stimulates morphogenesis (shoot initiation/bud formation) in tissue culture.
Stimulates the growth of lateral buds-release of apical dominance.
Stimulates leaf expansion resulting from cell enlargement.
May enhance stomatal opening in some species.
Promotes the conversion of etioplasts into chloroplasts via stimulation of chlorophyll synthesis."

Like that excerpt mentions, it really helps your lower branches become competitive with your cola shoots, you can see how it helps.. especially with un-trained plants where that lateral development is much more needed.

I only inoculate with EM1 while letting my soil mixes break down into an available form... I use compost tea to inoculate during the growing cycle. No reason really, just a personal preference.

I run all my water through a Reverse Osmosis (200 gpd) system before feeding it to the garden, and store it in some 30 gal trash cans until use. Water quality is everything in soil, without clean water microorganisms can't thrive (or live at all for that matter if it contains chloramines/chlorine), plants don't do well and your final smoke is affected. If you don't have the money for an RO system (I think you can find them for as low as $90) then they sell it by the gallon at Walmart or any big buy store under the name "Drinking Water". I used to buy this before I realized buying a unit would be far cheaper in the long run. Not bad for a plan B though.

I'll make a post after this one on my watering regimen, including the recipe's I use for brewing tea and soaking cuttings in.

There's a huge thread on here regarding recycled organic living soil, I'm about to read it this month myself because I have the same questions as you when it comes to that. I've never recycled soil before, but I may have to do it once before eventually moving into a permanent no-till set up. That's the ultimate goal. It's why I bought that vermicomposting bin, those castings will be used in a no-till set up a little ways down the road :dance013:

Dude ask as many questions as you have, that's what makes for a good thread! If nobody asked or discussed anything it would just be a thread with pictures of a grow and there are 10,000 threads like that out there already, I want this to be open for mainly discussion and learning purposes for everyone including myself :tiphat:

Last edited:

Team Microbe

Veteran
Watering Regimen

Watering Regimen

Before posting these recipe's I wanna say thank you to BlueJay over at grasscity, Microbe Man, Clackamas Coots and Jeremy at Buildasoil for the guidance here. These are recipes from them with proven results.

Watering Regimen:

1st Watering
-Pureed Sprouts (I use barley seed)
-10 ml FulPower
-5 ml Agsil16H (potassium silicate)

2nd & 4th Waterings
-Water only

3rd Watering
-1/4 cup coconut water
-1/4 tsp Aloe Vera powder
-5 ml Agsil16H

*Biweekly I add 1 tsp per 5 gal of TM-7 (humic acids)

*I'll brew a compost tea every 4 weeks or if I forget to water and pots dry out too much.

Cutting Solution: (1 gal)
-1/8 tsp 200x Aloe Vera Powder
-5 ml Agsil16H
-20-30 ml FulPower

*Soak cubes for at least 1 hour, then place in tray w/ heating mat. Fill tray with water only underneath, wait 10-15 days for roots.

picture.php

after 21 days

picture.php

after 35 days - ready for it's final transplant into a 10 gal

Compost Tea:

Veg Tea (10 gal)
-4 cups Compost
-6 tbsp Kelp
-12 tbsp Molasses

Brew for 36-48 hrs (typically the lower the temps surrounding the brewer, the longer it'll take to finish)

Bloom Tea (10 gal)
-4 cups Compost
-5 tbsp Fish Hydrolysate
-6.5 tbsp Alfalfa Meal
-8 tbsp Molasses
-handful of peat moss (for microbial diversity)

Brew for 18-20 hours

*Without owning a microscope, we don't really know what's going on inside the tea. This is why I rely on those that do like Microbe Man, because it's very easy to throw everything out of balance and start to see those not-so favorable organisms develop. I used to throw a little bit of everything into my tea, and no wonder problems arose like they did. Ever since I've been following these recipes I've had much success, so I hope typing this out helps anyone looking for a reliable recipe to water or brew with :woohoo:

Last edited:

Kozmo

Veteran
Okay if I hang out?

Q:what's EM1? What's Agsil16H? Why don't you use full humix instead of full power?
I just ordered full humix(100gr), TM-7, and cytoplus.

Team Microbe

Veteran
Okay if I hang out?

Q:what's EM1? What's Agsil16H? Why don't you use full humix instead of full power?
I just ordered full humix(100gr), TM-7, and cytoplus.

Of course man, welcome to the thread :tiphat:

EM1 -

The concept of "friendly microorganisms" was developed by Professor Teruo Higa, from the University of the Ryukyus in Okinawa, Japan. He reported in the 1980s that a combination of approximately 80 different microorganisms is capable of positively influencing decomposing organic matter such that it reverts into a "life promoting" process. Higa invoked a "dominance principle" to explain the effects of his "Effective Microorganisms". He claimed that three groups of microorganisms exist: "positive microorganisms" (regeneration), "negative microorganisms" (decomposition, degeneration), "opportunist microorganisms". In every medium (soil, water, air, the human intestine), the ratio of "positive" and "negative" microorganisms is critical, since the opportunist microorganisms follow the trend to regeneration or degeneration. Therefore, Higa claimed that it is possible to positively influence the given media by supplementing with "positive" microorganisms.

Agsil16H is a fancy name for Potassium Silicate. Similar to "Silica Blast" and other silica products on the market. I get the powder and mix myself rather than paying them mad money to do it for me, I found mine at www.buildasoil.com

I use FulPower for it's fulvic acids, this version from Bio Ag is the purest form of fulvic on the market right now. I already use TM-7 biweekly so FulHumax would be pointless to use with that since TM-7 is FulHumix, just with additional micronutrients. I wouldn't return your FulHumix, but think about incorporating FulPower into your regimen in the future.

Team Microbe

Veteran
picture.php

Hollister Kush x Cheesequake water leaf

picture.php

For those that don't know yet, these highly marketed "bloom boosters" on the market right now are simply watered down enzymes. If you take the time to sprout and grind some corn/barley/clover seeds you'll have a cheaper and far better enzyme tea than the stuff they sell you at the hydro store. Bloom boosters are the most profitable bottles sold right now, and it plays into the "stoner science" that's all too common these days. You really have to follow the money to see the ugly truth to the hydroponic industry and it's unfortunate place in the medical industry these days.

For a how-to on Seed Sprout Tea click here: http://buildasoil.com/blogs/news/12607517-using-b-a-s-barley-for-enzyme-tea-tutorial

picture.php

Silver Lotus praying after a Barley seed sprout tea. No bottles needed here.

picture.php

Same Silver Lotus a few days later, starting to see some stacking in this gal

picture.php

Same strain, different Silver Lotus pheno. Def more of a sativa lean in this one...

Last edited:

Kiloz

Amazing thread!

Ive worked in the hydroindustry and its funny when you get to talk to the nutrient producers and they them selves say its basicly all about the money.. I remember selling nutrients for 100$ but you could get the same stuff for 50$ under another name.

This type of organic growing is deffinetly something i will try out in the future when i got more space to grow on. Will follow this thread and hopefully learn a thing or two from someone who obviously know how to grow.

Great work keep it up!

Granger2

Veteran
Team,
I was thinking of 4 per stall of either 7 or 10 gal. My main concern is height. Don't wanna run out of headroom [6.5' minus reflector, pots]. Would likely go for the shortest veg time I can while topping them to keep them as short as possible [within reason], and as soon as I get about 9 tips per plant, put them into bloom. Yes I could do a giant plant, 1 per stall, but I want to grow more strains.

BTW, I have RO and a Small Boy with an upgraded carbon filter that removes Chloramines. Chlorine N.P. Experienced tea brewer with a good 15 gal brewer.

What I meant about the cytokinins was, you say you're watering with them. What's your source? Coconut water?

I'm intersted in why there seems to be so much N in your Bloom tea. Is this just for early bloom? How often do they get it in bloom?

Making this move would be a huge step and effort for me in my set up, in suburbia with neighbors close by. All my mixing would have to be done indoors, then hauled out to my room, up 3 steps. Bad back, knees. Dead of night type thing. So I would only do it if it's going to be a 1 time, long term, no till thing where I could topdress, amend, leave in place for years. I would use barley cover crop/straw like you. I have a worm bin, and a 35 year old compost heap that makes killer tea. Thanks for all the info. You're flat getting results.

And just to be sure, with this soil/method, you're getting clean, white/gray-white ash, tasty bud, right? No flushing?

I've been interested in Clackamas Coot's method and that of others for quite awhile. Read and considered many soil recipes. Have read about others who mixed soil and the plants grew well, healthy, good production of harsh, bad tasting bud with black nasty ash. This has made me reluctant. This looks like the Holy Grail to me. I think this Spring or Summer I'll make the move, and live happily everafter, I hope. One big labor push, then easy street.

I intend to use OGBioWar because I've battled Root Aphids for 3 years. Cost me deep in the purse with trying different remedies [all organic], crop loss, tons of labor, lost genetics, suffering downtrodden heartache. Finally getting them dicked, and having good crops in coco/perlite with Earth Juice and ACT's. OGBioWar has been a lifesaver, and my guess is that I'm rid of RA's, but I'll never stop using preventive measures. OGBW and Nematodes. Thanks. -granger

Edit: I also have AgSil16 on hand, mixed with water to make the equivalent of ProTek Silica.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great thread team microbe, beautiful plants. I will be following. I would like to do a side by side trial with the veganics in our rooms too. I'm always open to learn more. Is there a veganic super soil that could be made from scratch? No animal products. We have patients that care. Yes I know. Lol

Last edited:

Team Microbe

Veteran
Great thread team microbe, beautiful plants. I will be following. I would like to do a side by side trial with the veganics in our rooms too. I'm always open to learn more. Is there a veganic super soil that could be made from scratch? No animal products. We have patients that care. Yes I know. Lol

Thanks man, yeah Dragonfly Earth Medicine actually grows their own nutrients and grinds them up into Veganic blends. Check out www.dragonflyearthmedicine.com

They make blends for veg, flower, a humic acid blend, and a foliar spray blend. All require brewing, but they have a Veganic Super Soil recipe (that I haven't tried yet, but hear great things about it). Let me dig it up real quick....

These guys are on top of the industry right now, organic as organic gets and if you follow them on Instagram you'll learn a lot as well. Literally every post they make is teaching you or bringing you through something step by step. Great people, I gotta support them 100%.

Thanks for stopping in :dance013:

Heusinomics

Amazing thread! N great work!
I really like to see the companion planting/living mulch of barley!
So very natural and alive.

I was woundering about the neem and karanja cakes.
Do they add insect resistance? It would b lovely to have partially pest proofed plants!

Status
Not open for further replies.