What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I love the hottest peppers!

B

bonecarver_OG

i love the looks of the aji santacruz!

the aji santa cruz x aji habanero is not a hybrid :) both are of same family - but it definetly sounds like a nice cross!

the aji santacruz looks a lot like the pen pepper.

pen pepper foto from fatali net - a very expensive chili seed vendor.
Pepper%20Pen_1_2007.jpg

B

bonecarver_OG

numex's prices arent that good. what varieties are you looking for?

about the baccatums... yeah, bisop's crowns are pretty odd looking

atm anything priced in dollars are cheap to europeans. the exchange rate is good. :) it means half price to the seeds i bought for this season, even though i looked for a european distributor of their seeds. in the end i bought lots of seeds, but only one or two numex varieties.

also for next year im going to plant some rocoto`s, and hopefully i will find a few more to add to the list before its time to plant. i honestly just blew my whole chili seed cash buying lots of seeds for next year, but the shop i bought from didnt have everything i really wanted, so i plan to do some aditional shopping later, specially for super hot rocotos.

atm im loving the growth of the baccatums in my garden outside. they have just started flowering, so i got a lot of time left before i can test any of the chilis, but the season is long, and im sure withing the coming months i will have plenty of those chilis also :D

at the moment im doing chili sauces with my cayennes. they are very productive... i gotto pick atleast 50+ chilis every 2 days, if not even more sometimes. soon i have harvested several kilos allready :D only drawback is i find the cayennes a bit soft, so i think i will have to mix in some hotter chilis into the sauce mixes later on. i got a few really hot ones, and since they are about 10 times stronger than a cayenne, i hope to boost the heat a bit more :D

the sauces are hot as hell for normal ppl hehe :) but i've gotten too used to the heat allready. i easilly snack 4-5 cayenne chilis with every meal on the side of the chili-sauces. its just so tasty.

peace!

B

bonecarver_OG

krull - that looks identical to the cayenne i got :)

lovelly looks on the jalapeño, hungarian wax and the orange habanero! mouth watering! :D

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Ty bone :D
The cayenne is the classic one: tasty both fresh and dried and a mass producer!
Thinking of ordering some with a little more hot-kick for the next year though like the ring of fire or the super-chilli ;)

Cya

=K

B

bonecarver_OG

im going to try to reveg my cayennes and all the rest for next year :D even if the heat level is lower on the cayennes its tasty :D

btw, the orange habanero should be hot enough i think?

:D

B

bonecarver_OG

:) i recieved today my chili seeds for next year! this time i can plant them in VERY good time hehehe :D i think i will plant in a few months or so..

the cheap bastard at the shop only gifted me one pack even though i spent almost 100 bucks! anyway, glad i got the pack :D but for next time i will order in a few different shops to get extra much free seeds :D hehe

anyway, all my late planted chili kinds are starting to flower and fruit now, so i will finally get good harvests of all of them i think.

i got one unknown kind of chili that is growing with the pods uprigth towards the sky. its not getting any mature chilis yet, although its full of fruits allready since a good while back. it looks awesome though, but its maturing seems to be a bit odd? are there varieties with uprigth pods that mature all at once later in the season?

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Hey bone, nice to hear you already got seeds for the next season :)
Whats in your list? Are you starting something now and maybe overwinter?
The upright chilies may be tabasco or tabasco-type, nice ones.

Cya

=K

B

bonecarver_OG

i will plant the new seeds indoors during the beginning of winter here (november/december) - its a lot of kinds of seeds..

but amongst others;

chinense:
long chocolate habanero
gambian red
various scotch bonnets

trinidad;
yellow morouga

indian;
naga morich

south american;
criolla sella
aji crystal
aji habanero
aji norteno
manzano red (rocotto!)

american;
Datil
ring of fire (a cayenne hybrid? freebee!)

asian;
thai dragon

and some jalapeño hybrid too.

from comercial chili;
tiny birds eye type or similar. plenty heat.

on the side of those i will try my best to reveg all the plants from this year that handle the winter. i might only get rid of a few of them to only get more space for the ones i reveg for next year.

i have still not tried all of the chilis im growing now to know if they are all worth it though.. so ill see.

tabasco type? could be - its hotter than the cayennes, even green. a more smoky heat. if i like it i will keep seeds from it too, since almost all of the chilis on this one are hand polinated. if its a really hot one, i will keep all seeds i can, but then there will be various that might be hybrids of different strains. i use same polinating tool for all chilis atm.

peace!

Last edited:

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
nice list bonecarver! looks like we'll be growing some of the same varieties. ive been working on my 2012 list for days now. soo many choices :whiteflag:

im leaning towards

c.chinense
jamaican hot chocolate hab
peruvian white hab
bhut jolokia
chocolate bhut jolokia
scotch bonnet
trinidad scorpion butch T
fatalli
pimenta de neyde

c.baccatum

aji limon
aji amarillo
aji cristal
aji habanero
aji bishops cap
aji brazilian starfish

c. annuum
thai dragon
biker billy jalapeno

c.pubescens
orange rocoto

c.frutescens
piri piri

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

i got righth now some of those brazilian starfish growing, but they are the LAST of all kinds i got to start flower. needs long veg-time. i read many aji's produce better the 2nd year, so this is why i want to reveg as many as i can.

the first part on your list is awesome, well the rest too but the first bunch will be killer! hehe we gotto compare results on the thai dragons, the aji crystal and the rest of the varieties thats the same or very similar :D

the morouga is related to trinidad scorpion as far as i know.

i tried today some jalapeños, bubba and inca-berry but its too early to have any heat yet. i think allwayas the first chilis i try are sweet, so i cant really say yet anything.

peace :D

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Great lists guys :yes:
Choosing is harder than mj seeds LOL
Having little space myself i try to start only a few new varieties every year and use seeds/hybrids from last year's cross pollination to see what happens :)

Cya

=K

M

michael68

How often are you guys watering?

Even in the near 100 degree (37 C) dry heat I water my cayenne every other day. About 3 gallons each watering on a drip so they get a fairly deep and nice watering I think.

The leaves seem perfectly fine. I'll snap a pic tonight.

Also do ants do any harm? I see a few red ants that like to crawl around on my plant. :dance013:

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
ants "farm" aphids for honeydew. have a look and see if you've got aphids. other than that i dont think ants cause any problems

B

bonecarver_OG

3 gallons each plant every two days is a lot, but while they need it and use it up its no trouble. i use a lot of mulch, i got same temps as you or even hotter, but i water max a gallon per plant every two days, and that is only if the soil is dry. in some spots, for example in the midle of one of my small cayenne "field" (hehe) the sun does not dry out the soil as fast and they use less water.

for this i have divided up my plots so its a small "lake" or earth wall to retain water for each 3-4 plants. since growing in the ground, the soaking is almost essential. i got to say when temps go above 100ºF i water some of the plants every day, since in the spots where the plants get a lot of light, they use a lot of water.

for next year i will make the rows further apart and also plant the plants with more distance between them. minimum 2-3 feet between each chili plant seems to be good. the chilis grow more branchy than sweet peppers, so i failed with the planning a bit this year, giving more space to the sweet peppers thinking the chilis would grow smaller. it still produces rediculous amounts of cayennes a day, but the access to pick them is getting worse every day!

also i will plant the baccatums a bit further a part than the other chilis, since some of them grow really tall (up to my chest atm) and spread out like a small tree.

been oven drying cayennes today :) i did it at 90ºC and i really like the hint of toasted flavour. it took a good 5 hours :D but i think it might keep more flavour drying it even slower, but this work fine. i ground it in a morter by hand and i will do some more batches later untill i filled a quarter gallon masonry jar with this powder/crush. really tasty to sprinkle on anything :D

peace!

Latest posts

Latest posts