What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO Assistance Required

Hey I got a question for you guys. Im going to be making BHO with 188g/6.7oz of bud trim and fan leaves. How much BHO do you think I will get? I will be using the 22g okief extractor. I was thinking of doing one 300ml butane can per load. Does the BHO made from trim and leaves have a decent potency? I am worried it wont be good.

Many thanks!!!! :gday:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey I got a question for you guys. Im going to be making BHO with 188g/6.7oz of bud trim and fan leaves. How much BHO do you think I will get? I will be using the 22g okief extractor. I was thinking of doing one 300ml butane can per load. Does the BHO made from trim and leaves have a decent potency? I am worried it wont be good.

5 to 15%, depending on the mix, but probably around 7% and change.

One can for 22gms is close to what my usage has averaged.

Trim and leaf oil is still high in all the cannabinoids and the basis for most of the extractions that I do.

GW

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
sorry for the ignorant question, but what does BHO stand for? i mean i know you're talking about making canna oil and hash etc but yeah, cheers

Hey Thanks for the help Gray Wolf!! I got another question for you. Is it alright to just leave the BHO solution after you have put it in the boiling water. Is the heating stage afterwards neccesary?? I cant seem to find a suitable device to do the outdoor heating.

osoloco69

You said Okeif, so I know your yield will be low. Tight trim leaves have yielded as high a 5g per oz. from silver haze trim. 17.85% yield of BHO from trim if the trim is right, and you have the correct extractor.

osoloco69

Hey Thanks for the help Gray Wolf!! I got another question for you. Is it alright to just leave the BHO solution after you have put it in the boiling water. Is the heating stage afterwards neccesary?? I cant seem to find a suitable device to do the outdoor heating.

I dislike the boiling water purge as it usually allows for H20 to invade the BHO and make it dark. I would use a hair dryer (on cold setting) to remove the excess butane. Then let the product sit out in a well ventilated area for 24+hrs. The butane will have evaporated and any azeotropic mix of H20 and butane will be gone as well. This yields lighter colored oil, and also the oil can get dry enough to flake or powderize.

jd4083

Veteran
Pretty sure BHO actually stands for Butane Hash Oil, honey oil being a euphemism us oil-heads made up :tiphat: semantics anyways...in regards to your question...

1 can for 22grams is a little more butane than I like to use but since you're using trim perhaps a bit more solvent will be necessary to achieve close to the same yield. I typically use 1 can of Vector for every 30 grams of material, but I also only use whole buds, no trim at all.

I've had yields from 5% to nearly 20%, but the average does appear to be around 12-15% for good quality product, once again using buds and not trim. I can't really say what your yield will be from trim alone.

I would recommend picking up some 99% isopropyl alcohol and breaking it down to perhaps 1/2oz per run to try to maintain a consistent level of quality. I prefer BHO to QWISO/other solvent extractions myself, but given your circumstances/the material you're starting with, you may just want to bite the bullet and go for the higher yield over slightly higher quality. just my 2 cents, spend it wisely :laughing:

jd4083

Veteran

I'm not sure I understand 100% what you're asking here, but my timeline for BHO is as follows:

1.) Extract into dish

2.) Dish into larger dish/pot full of ~200 degree (F) water, off the heat

3.) Add more hot water as necessary if the run is a larger one and the majority of the butane does not evaporate with the first "hot water purge."

4.) After the bubbles stop, use a butane torch (preferably a small, easily controlled one in case you mess up and there's still a bit of liquid butane trapped in the oil) to pop the remaining bubbles. This is all anecdotal to be fair, but I've found that once the bubbles stop flaming up when you pop them, 99% of the butane is gone, and you can go to step 5-

5.) "Air curing" for about half an hour, followed by another quick dunk in a hot water bath just prior to scraping the tray to make it easier to get out.

hope that helps
peace

M

mrred

hot from the tap is ok , but not hot from being heated by the stove , seems unsafe , i use cold water if it gets low, dont be in a rush , make sure you do everything outside , dont let the water boil

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Keeping the oil warm is an important part of the purge process. It happens much slower at ambient.

I live in rain country, so I also discharge my column into a container that is sitting in hot water to keep atmospheric water from freezing on the dish and contaminating the mix with water.

Once it has stopped bubbling in hot water, there is not enough butane left to blow anything up, so I take it indoors to finish it off.

GW

jd4083

Veteran
hot from the tap is ok , but not hot from being heated by the stove , seems unsafe , i use cold water if it gets low, dont be in a rush , make sure you do everything outside , dont let the water boil

I use water that was brought to just under a boil (~200deg. F) and then poured into another vessel before placing the tray with oil over it. Not sure why that would be unsafe at all, maybe I misunderstood you. I personally don't use boiling water for quality issues, all safety concerns aside.

M

mrred

oh my bad i didnt understand that it was to be took outside, i thought he was suppose to pour butane over a hotplate at 200f,

jd4083

Veteran
oh my bad i didnt understand that it was to be took outside, i thought he was suppose to pour butane over a hotplate at 200f,
that is entirely his own prerogative although I would certainly not recommend it :laughing:

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
Here's one way:

Get colibri butane and a honey bee extractor. fill the extractor with only the finest popcorn buds which are first frozen and then ground in a coffee grinder. I use a can of 1/2 a can of colibri for each tube of herb. I don't measure how much I put in but I usually get like 2 grams + or - off each can id say. I purge in boiling water twice and then pop the remaining bubbles and let it sit for abit. I scrape it all and then put it on a hotplate on low and whip the glass like stuff with a bobby pin until it turns into this weird waxy consistency.

I guess its ghetto budder but it is so potent its scary. less than .1 will send you to space for a good 4 hours or more.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1023x680 and weights 213KB.

Its all in the purge technique and the material used. You will have a harder time producing oil that looks like that if using trim...a lot easier working with buds.

Definetely do not want to whip in air...I use a standard stainless steel turkey baster to do my extraction into a 9 inch pie dish which is sitting in a frying pan filled with hot water. DO THIS OUTSIDE.

I then bring it inside once all liquid butane has evaporated and put it onto my stove at a low setting, with a plate covering the top to increase the speed of the purge process. Using a small torch to raze the top layer of the oil greatly increases the speed one can purge. Sounds like your purge process is responsible for causing a large amount of degredation to your end product B. Friendly.

What temp water do you use to clear out the butane, and how long do you leave the oil on heat. It is also important to remember that once u scrape up the oil it becomes much much harder to purge. It is best left untouched as a thin layer on the pyrex dish IMO.

Pretty much just follow the Hashmasta Kut technique, the man knows what he is doing!

Here's another style with Denatured Alcholol:
HONEY OIL !DENATURED STYLE

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=10869
well heres the recipie for the high grade.........

materials..

trim/buds..ect..
coffie filters
huge funnel..
3 5 gallon buckets
electric stove or hot skillet..
pyrex dish
chop sticks

step 1 ... line the inside of the funnel with coffie filters ..

step 2... fill the funnnel with trim/buds...on top of the coffie filters...(see this is why u need a huge funnel.)

step 3.. after the funnel is filled with trim open ur gallon of denatured alcohol...and start to pour it through the trim and the funnel..let it run through....this is wat we call the first wash....u only want... the tricomes that come off easy with no soaking..let the alcohol drain through the funnel into a 5 gallon bucket....

step 4.. after u poured the 1whole gal of alcohol throught the trim..its time to repack the funnel with new trim and coffie filters...u wanna do this every time ur done lightly pouring the alcohol throught the funnel ...

step 5.. ok after having new coffie filters and new trim in the funnel use the sameeee!!!!!!alcohol...u poured into the 5 gallon...seeee what i mean...keep using the same alcohol and pour it over the new trim...into the funnel...do this as many times untill the alcohol is greeenish or whatever color...not clear..

step 6.. ok now ur ready for the cook off!

step 7.. take ur hotplate in this case electric skillet and put the pyrex dish in it on top of chop sticks and add water..

step 8.. boil off the alcohol this might take forever...but be patient ..ull know when it done when all the bubbles stop forming..and u get this sticky icky honey ..molasses....that will not come off ur hands with out alcohol...this stuff is potent...most potent ive smoked in a while...u do not I REPETE DO NOT WANNA DO SOMETHING IMPORTANT on this stuff....all u need is 1 15 min lasting bowl and ur toast...

cheers is u have any questions feel free to ask....also i will do pic by pic next extraction..

Hey there ppl....here it is the long awaited thread.... DENatured ALCOHOL honey oil.. THE WAY THE MED CLUBS DO IT..i will be useing RIP off home depot brand of Dentured alcohol . $11.95(dont recomend goin there)

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran

great choice!

i do each can for 30-45 seconds (usualy lasts 2 shots.)
so 2 tubes for one can. but with that little...

I'm not sure I understand 100% what you're asking here, but my timeline for BHO is as follows:

1.) Extract into dish

2.) Dish into larger dish/pot full of ~200 degree (F) water, off the heat

3.) Add more hot water as necessary if the run is a larger one and the majority of the butane does not evaporate with the first "hot water purge."

4.) After the bubbles stop, use a butane torch (preferably a small, easily controlled one in case you mess up and there's still a bit of liquid butane trapped in the oil) to pop the remaining bubbles. This is all anecdotal to be fair, but I've found that once the bubbles stop flaming up when you pop them, 99% of the butane is gone, and you can go to step 5-

5.) "Air curing" for about half an hour, followed by another quick dunk in a hot water bath just prior to scraping the tray to make it easier to get out.

hope that helps
peace

thats essentialy what i do.

maybe this will help you.

picture.php

picture.php

do your dump scrape it into container.
sometimes it helps to put it over boiling water and make it soft/liquid.
picture.php

picture.php

all thoes bubbles are butane.
while warm it might even bubble(offgas) on its own
picture.php

picture.php

tray bubbles and hardens.
i highly recomend pyrex glassware because of how freezing cold the butane gets. -200 glass on to a pot of boiling water will more then likely shatter cheap glassware.

now its still got to be offgassed.
picture.php

i froze it for this pic to make it nice and glass-like still needs offgassing.
picture.php

picture.php

now i didnt take pics of this step i wasnt expecting to do a walkthrough..
but i just bobb that little plastic container inside a pot of simmering (not boiling as it turns the oil darker as in the next pic! i 'zoned out' on the oil while hitting the bong DOH!)

now although darker then usual(for me) you can see how its CLEAR, and that means its good to go.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

alot of places sell it with butane still in it. usualy that opaque color.
like this
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

this had poped and snaped inside my bowl, i didnt know why at the time.