What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plog - Will this work or am I retarded

magicbean

I've been out of the country for a few months and have decided to cut myself off from the shwag dealers back home and grow some proper herb for myself in a stealthy cabinet. Doing a bit of research, it seems that scrog or something similar is the way to go.

Now from what I've gathered, the scrog technique works by keeping everything at an equal distance to the light, therefore prolonging the dominance war between the buds.

So what would happen if I were to use a glass plate instead of a screen, effectively a Plate of Green? I assume it would eliminate the process of tucking everything under the screen, and allow the fan leaves to move closer to the light, promoting growth. Is there anyone here who has tried (or seen) something similar?

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
You'd get a ton of condensation and cooking leaves and buds under the glass,
I think...

magicbean

...and if I remedied these issues with proper ventilation? AFAIK the greenhouse effect only works because of (semi-)stagnant air.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Well, I mean they can't grow through the glass, like they can a screen, so
whats the point? The screen is so you can push leaves and branches back
down under it.

reckon

I get what you mean, but I think it's not going to work like it is in your head

weed does NOT like being pushed up against things: walls, reflectex, cardboard, each other,......

you'll get burn and rot as well, simply due to the lack of ventilation with the buds pushed up against the glass like that, you can't "relieve the ventilation problem", because you can't get air between a bud smashed up against a glass pane, and the plant is constantly gassing out moisture from it's millions of stomata, so your outnumbered from the start.

you can EASILY get a half pound from ONE PLANT in a scrog setup, so I don't understand why you are trying to "improve" the already "improved" method,....I got 7 ounces from one kush in a closet 250W hps scrog before.

there is no "easy scrog" method, they ALL require the grower to do some branch weaving, and clipping, and it is a labor intensive type of grow, but well worth it once you reap the fat ass harvest.

Justin_Credible

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary....
Veteran
Glass....NO.:no:
Screen will allow for proper airflow as well as you not cooking everything under the glass. Bud rot...screen is a must. Never scrogged but know a friend in my circle that does. In my mind (and him and I always friendly argue over this) is that in the long run scrogg vs pots are the same yield. I flower in 3 gals, sometimes 5's depending upon size of plant and in the long run over a year we get the same yield. It seems to me that scrogg takes longer to veg, and then you do get that 1/2 pound + per plant. But in the long run if you were running your grow like a business I would have better ROI in Q1 and Q2 while you would be catching up to me in Q3...am I making any sense?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I vote catastrophic failure, heavy mold and greatly decreased yield.

Don't do it.

libby

Could understand if, you say, do a bog standard scrog, then maybe a piece of glass between the light just above the plants, to hopefully get them closer, but, no, not even that is worth messing with, otherwise you may as well go under a air drawn, bulb in a tube, the name evades me, but everything says no.

But, do not be put off thinking and creating, that's how the world goes forward, not a silly question by the way, just not the answer you would of liked.......Keep Asking.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Glass....NO.:no:
Screen will allow for proper airflow as well as you not cooking everything under the glass. Bud rot...screen is a must. Never scrogged but know a friend in my circle that does. In my mind (and him and I always friendly argue over this) is that in the long run scrogg vs pots are the same yield. I flower in 3 gals, sometimes 5's depending upon size of plant and in the long run over a year we get the same yield. It seems to me that scrogg takes longer to veg, and then you do get that 1/2 pound + per plant. But in the long run if you were running your grow like a business I would have better ROI in Q1 and Q2 while you would be catching up to me in Q3...am I making any sense?

I do see what you're saying and you do have a valid point.

Perhaps, for a single run type grower the scrog method makes more sense

for "continuous production" a lower maintenance approach makes more sense anyway.

-or plant counts reasons?

ANYWAY, NO - do not grow up against the glass. Everywhere the plant is in contact w/ the glass you will have moisture problems for sure. I believe it is also true that sometimes a scrog grower will have moisture related issues because of the density of the canopy alone.

Justin_Credible

Veteran

for "continuous production" a lower maintenance approach makes more sense anyway.

Hey X,
you are 100% correct, I only wish I would've put that in my post so as to not look like an idiot.:shucks:
I have seen a scrog grow that was one plant (B5) veg'd for about 4 months that produced dry weight of over 1 1/2 (almost 2 pounds actually) pounds of great dope. Giant buds everywhere! No argument there, however; while he was still in veg I had pulled down with 30 99's about 5 pounds of pot while he was getting ready to flip the switch.:headbange My friend doesn't scrog anymore....

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Hey X,
you are 100% correct, I only wish I would've put that in my post so as to not look like an idiot.:shucks:
I have seen a scrog grow that was one plant (B5) veg'd for about 4 months that produced dry weight of over 1 1/2 (almost 2 pounds actually) pounds of great dope. Giant buds everywhere! No argument there, however; while he was still in veg I had pulled down with 30 99's about 5 pounds of pot while he was getting ready to flip the switch.:headbange My friend doesn't scrog anymore....

lol - yeah a scrog makes a lot of sense for a micro-grow where you may want to maximize filling up the canopy -like for 2 plants in a PC case or a small cabinet

but honestly, you're comment kind of woke me up to the fact that there is a long-ish veg cycle involved -esp when contrasting the 2 methods in real world situatiions

Justin_Credible

Veteran
but honestly, you're comment kind of woke me up to the fact that there is a long-ish veg cycle involved -esp when contrasting the 2 methods in real world situatiions[/quote]

Hey X....:thank you:
Again, I have a friend that scrogs....he does it for head weed and pride. He has a job making 50k+ a yr. I do not. When I make a mistake I do not lose out on 4 months of grow...he does. Nice talking with you X.

Latest posts

Latest posts