What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flowering time..when does it start?

niubbo

seeds company always declare what is the floweing time required for a particular strain.
I'd like to know if they start to count form when i switch the deaylight to 12 hours per day or when i see the first pistils appearing. The difference is about 2 weeks.
Thanks

bkob89

from the time you switch to 12/12 to harvest is the estimated "flower time"...some strains harvest in 7...some in 12-13...pay attention to hairs and trichomes...

*mistress*

Veteran
from seed, for 1st time... @ least 70 days... just to gather data on the strain.... & to make sure get to full maturity.

after 1st run, clones maybe mature & can lower that to 56-63...
depends, though. ea flower differently. most like min 65-70 days. even though 8 weeks bare minimum... 10 weeks = certain finish, or close to it; especially w/ unknown seed/cut.

when the 1st reproductive glands appear... not from when lights turned back... (w/ seed). on 2nd run, maybe know exact how long required...

enjoy your garden!

G

Gilles&Cheryl

I start counting the days when I see the first pistil clusters and the flowering times given in the breeder's description are almost always not long enough. I don't agree with counting the days of 12/12, just because you start 12/12 does not mean the plant is flowering.

I don't think I have ever had a plant be truly 'done' in the amount of time stated by the breeder. While I am sure there are true 7-8 week strains out there, I don't think they are that common. I had a c99 cut that was truly done in about 63-65 days and that was the fastest plant I have came across.

Of course, my opinion of 'done' may be different than yours. To me they are done when they are almost dead, I don't harvest green plants anymore. When most people say 'done' what the really mean is 'harvestable'.

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
Flowering periods differ also from the environment. In colder environments buds take longer to ripen. From a summer run of zombie at 58-60 days, where as in winter we normally have to add 5-8 days. We give time from 12/12 on our gear as estimated days. Always use a loop to help determine when your plants are ready. After a few runs you'll dial in when they're ready.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
Start counting from the day you flipped the lights to 12/12.

that gives you a ball park idea of when to start looking at the trichs...

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Which plant will you use? The one that shows in days, the one that shows in weeks or, the ones that show in between?

Start counting from the flip. Use "flower period" as a guide. My Thunks were listed at 17 weeks but, I found 21 weeks was better.

i've been harvesting my himalayan gold at 8-9 week as stated by gh seeds.Recently bought myself a 45x scope and found i'm harvesting at 15% clear 80% cloudy and 5% amber......too early ;( i was counting the 8-9 week from 12/12 flip

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
This is the last time I'm typing this. Future posters will just have to use the search function... or hope someone else remembers this.

Check the breeder information.

IF they list an indoor flower time.... your clones will generally mature with that much time of 12/12.... measured from the day you flip to 12/12.

When they don't specifically list an indoor flower time.... you'll get the best results with most breeders if you start counting from the time the first pistils show.

Stay Safe! :tree:

Justin_Credible

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary....
Veteran
i've been harvesting my himalayan gold at 8-9 week as stated by gh seeds.Recently bought myself a 45x scope and found i'm harvesting at 15% clear 80% cloudy and 5% amber......too early ;( i was counting the 8-9 week from 12/12 flip

Yeah, I do the same thing. I do 99 runs and have yet to see her ready at 55 days. Always goes almost 60 for me till trichs are honey brown....

Nicoli

Veteran
Always from the first day of 12/12, that is Day 1.

Always.

Breeder times dont necessarily mean anything to me.

Olias

I agree, you count from the day you switch to 12/12. But always go by the individual plant's needs and characteristics that you see, rather than by the stated length of flowering. Just my own experience, but they usually take longer than stated.

skunktoker

Since I grow from seed and not clones I have always started counting the days after they show hairs (clusters) however when it comes to harvest I only go by trichs and nothing else when thier where I want them the trichs are right I harvest........ST

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Here's the thing:

It doesn't matter.

The plant is ready when it's ready, and it will tell you when that is. Counting days means squat to the plants - they can't count for shit :D

Look at your trichs. Pistils (or hairs) are useless. When you start seeing amber in your trichs, they're near harvest. How near depends on your preference. Many people like to wait until there is a heavy ratio of Amber to Clear/Cloudy, I prefer around 30% amber. So my time on a strain is going to be shorter than yours.

Bottom line - listen to the plant, it will tell you when it is done. And as I said before, these plants can't count for shit :D