What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Signs of successful pollination

Hello everyone. I am breeding a strain I really like that I got from some bagseed a couple of years ago. I got a bunch of original seeds from that sack and from them bred my best two plants. I did 12/12 from seed and shook the pollen off the male all over the new buds about a week into flowering. My question is: Will these pre flowers just be pollinated and the rest of the growth of buds still occur? and, The calxyes are reallllllly swelling up with the pistil turning orangish brown(sorry no pics). For anyone that has bred before is this a sign of successful pollination? Thank you.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Ouch! Been there and done that. Pollinating 1 week into flowering can produce a low harvest high on seeds. Best to wait 3 weeks when "buds" actually form.

V

vonforne

You will be good to go. I like to pollinate the ´pre-flowers`also. That way you get some seeds AND have some good quality buds to boot. You learned something by accident there. Nice job. It takes about 5 weeks for the seeds to finish.

Last edited:
Thank you vonforne I read that pistils are fertile even the very first ones so i figured I would just use the fresh pollen out of my favorite male then just cull all males early on. I just hope buds will still grow on. I have faith.

thc43

Veteran
i pollinated a few girls during week 1 and 2 then killed the males, im tryng to keep the heads of most plants seed free so only pollinated the lower branches. It didnt quite work to plan with all the bees and wasps around outside some plants are quite heavily pollinated.

Ive back crossed white rhino x bush and BIgbud x Bush F1s to both original mums. The rest of the plants growing are F1s of those two strains, crossed again to make F2s and even en experimental mix WR x Bush (male) x Bigbud x Bush(Fem) that should bring out much of the original male traits.

Now around week 4 of flowering outside the seed is just about ready full hard sacks waiting to split specially the preflower points. .

If pics help hit me up with a PM atm i have plants at different stages of pollination.

how i tell if pollination has taken-
When pistles change colour early or curl backwards into the calax they came from that is good sign the pollination is working, bud formation will be look decent maby a bit leafy and then fluffy as seed matures.

how i tell if pollination has taken-
When pistles change colour early or curl backwards into the calax they came from that is good sign the pollination is working

Absolutely spot on, thank you. they are really swelling up too it seems. Thanks everyone.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
after 24 hours you can see the end of the pistils starting to wither. after 2-3 days they will have turned brown if pollenation is successful

opt1c

Veteran
sounds good man; keep us updated with how things turn out in the end... buds and seeds; best of both worlds eh

Everything is going great, I feel I should tie it down though, it is sativa dominant and wants to stretch. Anybody have an easy way to do this without harming the plant? Thanks.

Latest posts

Latest posts