What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

205w LED vs 400w HID Let the battle begin!

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
$700 is a good amount of cash for such a problematic start.
Cheapo Chinese manufacturing I guess.
I hope it pulls through!
Are you going to use a new bulb in the 400w?

Actually this was free, I did not even pay for S&H, Also it's not the company to blame it's the manufacturer. I received the replacement power supply today 4 days after contacting LEDGirl, I'd say this is a good example of excellent customer service, This let's you know if you experience any problems with a light from LEDGirl or HYDRO-GRO you can rely on quick and reliable service!
Aside from the power supply issue, It's a sound light system. Given I have not put it to use yet so I cant speak on production or anything. :tiphat:

Yes the bulbs will be new, Probably gonna run the mh for veg hps for flower.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Hell yeah blaze. I've been waiting for this comparison. I saw LED Girls thread about the offer to compare and document. I wish I could have taken advantage of the offer but my space is limited to a C13.
Cant wait to see the results.
What type of emitters do they use in that array. Are they Cree's or some ChiCom knockoffs?

I don't want to go spreading the specs of this light and components used in it, I just wanted to share a problem I had with a light and possible solution for anyone experiencing this issue, I don't think it would be fair to LEDGirl or HYDRO-GRO for me to post the specs on these lights, Instead I'd say its best to ask LEDGirl for spec information that way if she wants the info out there it will be and if she does not, It wont be. I think LEDGirl would give you that information if you ask personally, I just don't feel it's my place to...

N

NicholasSmokes

I can tell somebody isnt familiar with my growing, I do have 18 mom plants currently taking off :) have not grown from seed in years lol!

Great! In your original post about selecting a variety it was not clear to me if you were selecting from clones or seeds. So both tents will have clones from the same mom?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool, cant wait to see which cuts you are going to run.

im itching to get started on my grow with one of these units too

good luck and stay safe,

V.

DankSide

This one is going to be cool to see.

A lot of advertising goes out to say how great and powerful LEDs are, though they haven't really hit that spot from what I've seen.

I've never been convinced a 200 watter can grow the same amount as a 400 watter, but this could be some help with the proof.

Are you going to be keeping the LED lamp closer to the plants than the HID? I always figured the key to LEDs was minimizing any possible unused space to make sure you get the absolute most and closest penetration that the LED will deliver.

For instance lets say a 2x2 area, which is perfect for a 250, would maybe need to shrink to a 1.5x1.5 area with the comparable LED counterpart to get best efficiency?

Figure lack of crippling heat is a better seller for the LED. Do you feel much heat with your hand an inch or 2 below the setup when its on?
These LEDs are going to be sick sellers in micro-grow format and I wouldn't be surprised to see companies turning out stealth PC tower LED grow cases. Maybe its been done? If LEDs really produce as little heat as I'm thinking, then I'd say every hobby and stealth grower should have one.

I am still skeptical of what these LEDs are capable of in large scale and I hope you are able to help that skepticism blaze.
Good luck on it.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
I plan to keep the led light right on top the plants, I built the tents slightly larger then I intend to keep the canopy, Just for moving room and such, actual canopy space used will be 30"x30" tents were sized slightly larger for moving room.

I am as skeptical as you are, Obviously LEDGirl is not the slightest bit skeptical or she would not be sending 1000's of $ in equipment out routinely to be tested. That factor alone shows LEDGirls confident in her lights otherwise she wouldn't be having growers like me testing these lights. All of us growers are out to find out if they work or not, Were not out to cock ride some chick who is selling a false dream ya know. I also think LEDGirl is running her own show and has come to the conclusion that her products work, and she is now set out to prove to all of us that they do.

So I will keep my mouth shut, keep focused, do what I do best and in the end we will find out how they perform compared to a 400w hid....

These test performed atleast this one specifically, cant speak for everyone but, if she sent me a light to test and I am a keep it real kinda guy, Why would any of the other test be rigged etc, I do not believe any of these current test threads are anything more then a test no business agreements are being made to persuade the outcomes. What ya see is what ya get what ya get is the truth you know.

Sleepy

Veteran
excellent...

nice start, blaze!!

how is the heat in there?

my 126 watt LED unit barely gets warm.

i'll be watching.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
excellent...

nice start, blaze!!

how is the heat in there?

my 126 watt LED unit barely gets warm.

i'll be watching.

It's not bad the main box is built in a heated room, So there is heat in the room, with that the 400w is able to keep the temps up above 80f in both rooms. Seems like its gonna work out nice!

DankSide

I plan to keep the led light right on top the plants, I built the tents slightly larger then I intend to keep the canopy, Just for moving room and such, actual canopy space used will be 30"x30" tents were sized slightly larger for moving room.

I am as skeptical as you are, Obviously LEDGirl is not the slightest bit skeptical or she would not be sending 1000's of $ in equipment out routinely to be tested. That factor alone shows LEDGirls confident in her lights otherwise she wouldn't be having growers like me testing these lights. All of us growers are out to find out if they work or not, Were not out to cock ride some chick who is selling a false dream ya know. I also think LEDGirl is running her own show and has come to the conclusion that her products work, and she is now set out to prove to all of us that they do.

So I will keep my mouth shut, keep focused, do what I do best and in the end we will find out how they perform compared to a 400w hid....

These test performed atleast this one specifically, cant speak for everyone but, if she sent me a light to test and I am a keep it real kinda guy, Why would any of the other test be rigged etc, I do not believe any of these current test threads are anything more then a test no business agreements are being made to persuade the outcomes. What ya see is what ya get what ya get is the truth you know.

100% agree with you and if it weren't for guys like you around we'd have no independent tests to compare these things. Its always good when you aren't affiliated with the business selling the product.

So far there are definite pluses on the stealth and temperature for these lights and if your test shows they can crank out some legitimate weight, then the only single drawback to these will be price.

Latest posts

Latest posts