What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Size does matter!

Dorje113

interesting..yeah ive done bags on the floor and never had much runoff and still got really nice plants. but ive recently switched to flood trays in anticipation that i do some coco grows and need to flush out the salt...

i was thinking about using beds for scrog. instead of having six seperate 1 gal pots i would have a tray with six plants in a bed arranged 2x3. the total capacity of the tray would probably be like 10 gallons so they get to stretch their roots a bit and dont curl around into a ball like in the pots. and hook this up to a drip irrigation..

i might try it out...i ran out of 1 gal pots and need to fill up a tray....gonna try this with some OG kush in a 4x4 flood tray.

Cool, give it a shot. I've found bigger IS better when it comes to growing media. Coco is an interesting media, I use it in my soil mix, but the bulk of my mix is peat moss and perlite with dolomite lime because it maintains a very stable pH. I also add a lot of organic dry fert because it's cheap and easy, then fine tune with organic liquid nutes (Earth Juice, Age Old).

I should also point out that I was growing 4 plants per 1000W, so I'm expecting 8-12 oz per plant depending on strain. So for that application 20 gal pots worked ok... obviously scale down for smaller plants and/or less light. It was interesting how much better and easier the beds were in comparison to pots. The nute levels are MUCH more stable and the margin for error is MUCH larger growing in beds. I think you could... theoretically... get equal results growing in pots but it's more difficult because the margin for error is smaller.

It was also interesting to see one strain that was only average (G13 Pineapple Express) do REALLY well in pots because it ran out of nutes early. It was unbelievably better when grown in a nute-deficient media, while most other plants didn't fare nearly as well in the pots...

Here's a few pics of the beds 2 weeks apart... start of flowering and 14 days into flowering...

DSC01392.jpg

DSC01248.jpg

DSC01428.jpg

DSC01836.jpg

DSC01815.jpg

driska

hello!
i wandering somethink about defoliation!
i have chronic and i was chouse defoliated like jsrosek does.
i have defoliated after 2 week flower beacuse are to busshy! i am now 10 days after defoli. and they are to busshy again, when can i strip them again without couses them to much stress?
can strip them in 2, 4, 6 week flower or is to much stress?
thanks

driska

thanks
I have read the topic of K33 but the views from jsrosek and K33 quite different.
i cant read again 300 pages I only interested how often can defoliatet leaves without to much stress

I start in party-cups until they have 3rd set of leaves then transplant directly into 3g pots.

I then veg for 4 weeks under 600w MH and then switch to HPS for flower.

My last run 4 plants yielded just over 13oz..

I was happy with that.

Nader

Veteran
Take this for what it is (just my words with no tangible way of substantiating my claims), but my friend grew some monster plants from little pots many years ago, she had pictures in her photo album (real life photo album) to prove it. She did use "special chemicals" but she refuses to tell me which or how. She also grew watermelon plants on her deck in tiny 4 inch pots this summer with the same chemicals. They grew hilariously large for the pot, and they each had a few large ripe melons. Was a sight to behold!

Mind you, she doesn't do the organics thing whatsoever... don't think that I'd ever eat those melons.

onelung09

have 4 shark shocks going went from party cups under a 23 watt cfl for 4 weeks lol i know i was not on top of things then to 1 gals under a 150w hps for another 4 weeks then to 3 gals for 2 weeks under a 600 mh now im 4 days into bloom hoping for atleast 12 oz to be happy pretty sure ill get them my point is there are so many different routes to take you just have to find what works for you and what you will be happy with but vegging in bigger pots i always have bigger plants with less veg time and bigger nuggies but these things are weeds doesnt take to much to get good results if your not bozo the clown

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Big pots = big root systems = big stalks = bigger veins/branches = more food per unit time = more bud material per unit time (with all environmental factors controlled to optimal of course) - I vegged in bigger pots this time and although the first ten days of growth from clone/seedling in the 2 gallon pots (vs traditional 1gallon) was slower than normal, the growth became exponential very rapidly thereafter - so size DOES matter - probably even MORE in flowering!

oh yes it matters!

OLDproLg

Veteran
BIG MATTERS...

Yah,aint it funny how femals love it big^^

Maryjane the plant and Mary the ho.....haha!
Small gurth is good too!
good thread,lets see pix of more tables!

Definate it makes i difference out doors but with lights density counts alot too,its all good!!!!!

EmpireSeeds

thanks
I have read the topic of K33 but the views from jsrosek and K33 quite different.
i cant read again 300 pages I only interested how often can defoliatet leaves without to much stress

Jrosek said:
After many years of trial and error i now use 25 1gal buckets in a 44"x44" area with a 600hps.
results are pretty standard, I harvest just around 2lbs every 55 days.

I veg for 10 days from a rooted clone.

I trim all of the fan leaves at 21 days flower and again at 45 days Flower.
I use 65% perlite to 35% vermiculite.
The most important thing i noticed about shorter multiple plants in 1gal is the penetration.
with a 600, we had a difficult time getting the lower parts to finish up properly, we could superharvest but in all
would waist an extra month in flower.

2_thumbs_up_499.gif
-Dutch