What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

From 70/30 coco to 100% coco

So I been running 70/30 coco-perlite for a bit now and just can’t keep up with the daily (minimum) feeds. I was debating on running 100% coco and going to every day feed (seems like most who run this feed every other while still maintaining a moist medium). Thoughts?? Or is it worth just going promix?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I was steered towards Promix when I started. It is the easiest medium to grow in. Coco and hygro are ugly bitches to tame for the lack of a better word.

bigpeter

I started using coco drain to waste last grow. Watered with nute solution twice a day and broke all my previous records.

He asked me how often I water in Promix. Folks should learn to quote answers to relieve confusion :tiphat:

I keep hearing good things about promix. Only negatives I really hear are “ yields aren’t as big” but I’m guessing since I’m not using coco how I need to (with multiple small feeds daily) promix May be the better thing to use, and cheaper too. I’m still not sure if I wanna try 100% coco before giving up on it or not. I like how in coco it’s easy to fix any issues wether it’s normally flushing water thru it or nute flushing, idk if you can do that with promix

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Coco is great if you have automated watering or have the time to water once or multiple times per day. Promix is peat based which means it holds more water than coco and takes longer to dry out. A lot of large commercial operations use Promix and get very good yields. And yes Promix is cheaper than coco so it will save you money.

-Funk

BigPhil

Veteran
He asked me how often I water in Promix. Folks should learn to quote answers to relieve confusion :tiphat:

Yeah but his orginal post is about coco. And you said it was a bitch. Coco is easy as pie to grow in and daily feed is what you wanna aim at min.

BigPhil

Veteran
So I been running 70/30 coco-perlite for a bit now and just can’t keep up with the daily (minimum) feeds. I was debating on running 100% coco and going to every day feed (seems like most who run this feed every other while still maintaining a moist medium). Thoughts?? Or is it worth just going promix?

I used straight coco for 8 plus years. No problems. Lately I've tried 30/70 perlite coco mix. What size pots do you use? Normally I would use 10 liter pots with coco. But I'm trying 15 liter grow bags with 30/70. If you feel they are drying too quickly. You could try pure coco or try slightly larger pots

hyposomniac

Just a couple thoughts..
Promix was 40$ a cube for the longest, now everyone local jacked up the price to like 55ish.
Pure coco makes better rootballs than coco/perlite and you can still water it as often as you want, and it's one less thing to buy and rinse..

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

Yeah but his orginal post is about coco. And you said it was a bitch. Coco is easy as pie to grow in and daily feed is what you wanna aim at min.
That's the question I answered!

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I used to run promix. Now I run 100%coco on a multifeeds drip 3x a day . I even ran promix on a multifeed drip like coco with great results.
Left tray was all promix except 1 plant.all on a 2x a day drip.
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

BigPhil

Veteran
I've tried the echo thrive coco 1% charge 70/30 on my current grow, My plants have never looked so bad. The roots can't handle it. Canna coco pro all the the way for me again.

superx

Veteran
Coco is designed and tested to be used on its own, no need to add anything

Totally, coco provides natural aeration in its self...

I find mixing perlite or any other substrate only lessons the pots over all volume, i would much prefer having roots use that space ...

indagroove

Veteran
When I first started using coco 10 years ago, I used 100% coco, and it worked ok, but doesn't dry back as well. Now I use 70/30 coco/perlite, and feed on an auto system 3x per day, which still gives me good dryback over night. Unless I wnt back to hand watering for some reason, I don't think I'll ever run straight coco again.

Mr. J

100% coco all the way. If you find things aren't drying out fast enough for you it's probably because you don't have enough roots and your pots are too big.

Latest posts

Latest posts