What's new

Found an old post that says that CFL is better than HPS

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Is it better to be a vegetarian or an omnivore?

Better for the environment?
Better for personal longevity?
Better for maximum strength?
Better for maximum endurance? At what level?
Better for the immune system?
Better for the brain?
Better if one is overeaten to excess? How about the other?

Problems with more than three variables rapidly become unmanageable.
"Better" must have a limiting context or it is silly indeed to even ask.

How long is a piece of string?
Is green prettier than blue?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Maybe if you ran a 1000 CFL's against a 1000 watts of hps. Cfl is great for veg, side lighting, or small flower cabs. Full spectrum hps is the way to go. Hortilux eye bulbs.

TerpeneDream

There' a dude on here who flowers with T5. He uses a couple different spectrum bulbs…But he was getting fat footlong frosty cola's…

I love the low heat, low cost, and low electricity consumption.

I'm a newb, but like the T5-CMH combo… for ergonomics of indoor growing alone...

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 420 article was referring to in a very small space where the cooler cfls would be a better choice

Limeygreen

Veteran
Plants use green light as well, the new studies coming out, especially with leds is finding out how much they need.

jesbuds

There' a dude on here who flowers with T5. He uses a couple different spectrum bulbs…But he was getting fat footlong frosty cola's…

I love the low heat, low cost, and low electricity consumption.

I'm a newb, but like the T5-CMH combo… for ergonomics of indoor growing alone...

Know a few people who do this, 800-1200watts of T5-ho lights, different spectrum bulbs and definitely seen good plants.

Attachments

• T5.jpg
    T5.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 10

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I did the t5 not long ago while living in my 5th wheel trailer next to sequoia nat park...having 5k lumens has its limits reguardless of spectrum...yeehaw..all the mercury in cfl is fucking up our environment and to think they want to ban incandescent bulbs!!!!!!!..we should go back to candles...lol

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I ran a couple CFL 55 watt floodlights a few years back. Unwinding the coil gave 66" of fluorescent tube which is only one watt more than than a 46" T5 HO. Plus, half the output is inside the coil, at least that was my thinking when I decided to only use T5 and not CFL. More coverage because the light length is matched to plant length for vertical single plants.
I do row crops now and eight foot rows use a pair of six bulb T5s on the side, which is still more efficient than a group of bright spots.

Fluorescent's do not carry the intensity I need for overhead lighting in this type of gardening. 1/2 pound minimum per plant eliminates a fair amount of growing methods. Since I consider side lighting a must, reptile bulbs furnish UVA and UVB while far red, red, and violet are provided by aquarium bulbs.
A Quantum Flux meter touching the glass bulb on a T5 HO Flora Sun is 504 umol. On a Max Growth Wave it is 307 umol.

The minimum umol in the bud room at the leaf is 700 for LED and 900 for CMH.
This is why I do not use fluorescent bulbs to bud plants. It can be done but the plant struggles from not enough light.

As for the best light, there is no such creature. Some bulbs if used alone are inadequate, not because of what they are, but because of the phosphor mix in that particular bulb, be it straight or spiraled.

The best type of light for clones and early veg cannot by definition be the best lights for late veg/preflower. A good bud room light will suck at germinating seedling and make a leafy veg plant.

Thus my posting earlier of apparent derision at threads with "better than" or "best" in the title.
Often due to inexperience the questioner does not realize the scope of the question.
Are apples a better food than oranges? How about lots of apples? How about nothing but oranges?
A nutritionist would throw up their hands even though I find apples versus oranges a reasonable question.

Most comments are putting reasonable context in their answers instead of just being snarky.
I needed to explain myself a bit better. I hate being the jerk.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Well, are there any commercial grows that use flouros for
production you may ask yourself.

I went from CFL to HPS to PL L in my micro set up, gonna use
screw in LED's next.

Mixed cultivars from long flower time to 65 day stuff. The style with
the most heat issue was the CFL, remote ballsat HPS or PL L, not so much.

Best yield? Mono crop with a vert HPS.

Best all around for mixed cultivars, PL L.

That's micro anyway.

Good thread.

Latest posts

Latest posts