What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Books on soil

D

Deadphish1965

Can anyone recommend a good up to date book on soils and possibly how to mix soils?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
teaming with microbes and then teaming with nutrients

the first is critical imho

D

Deadphish1965

I found some threads in search. I didn't see any recent threads though. They were all over a year old.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Google search is better. Though it never lands you (or at least me) on the right page of a megathread.

Soil biology like any science is slow work, there isn't really an Oprah reading list every year. Nothing wrong with an old thread if it leads you down the right path.

Don't mind me. There's a much more pleasant way to say the things I think that I fail to grasp.

TerpeneDream

51yNDTbzPOL._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

VortexPower420

Veteran
Albrecth can be kina hard to digest.

When I started my journey it was teaming with microbes and the Eco farm by Charles Walters. It takes the teachings of many great soil agronomist and breaks it down in tona easy to read book. It covers all points, cover crops, soil interactions, clay, microbes, humus. I reference it all the time.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Feed the soil Edwin McLeod, The most comprehensive list of green manures and their preferred soil types as well as a list of plants that do not care as to preferences. There is a lot of legumes in this book it's an interesting read and reference point. One I recommend if your gonna be a practical professional gardner in the real world gardening 'outside' with the increased work loads. One I would like to point out isn't a textbook it's a child's story, an understanding into how the soil food network is achieved.

It goes above and beyond anything I have read since, principally because it's use of the old school techniques and methods which pioneered the way to modern pH testing amongst other common place practice used in agriculture these days. It also shows how implemented yearly plantings of green manures improve soil above and beyond that of modern farming methods and how theory are beneficial to the whole soil food web.

Pinetar

I also recommend what Wierd said Teamng with microbes, by Jeff Lowenfels. It's an easy read to get you started on the organic soil path.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
If you really want to learn organics properly don't put soil mineralization before soil microbiology.

Gizmo

Weird the book you advise looks very interesting, i will take a look at it.
i know the op was asking for books about soil but i would like to advise a few books about plants genetic, some of you already know these books very well for sure, to me there are the best, a little thought to TH by the way, i hope everything is ok for him.
I put them in the order of easy to harder to read.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ratzilla

Veteran
I'll 3rd Teaming with microbes by Jeff Lowenfels & Wayne Lewis.

But my favorite.

The Ideal Soil:
a Handbook for the new Agriculture by Michael Astera.
Of all the books that I have read I feel that this book by Michael Astera has given me the most knowledge.
It is written in easy to understand ways.
Ratz :tiphat:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Ecosystem and soil scientists frequently use whole soil carbon:nitrogen (C : N) ratios to estimate the rate of N mineralization from decomposition of soil organic matter (SOM). However, SOM is actually composed of several pools and ignoring this heterogeneity leads to incorrect estimations since the smaller pools, which are usually the most active, can be masked by the larger pools. In this paper, we add new evidence against the use of C : N ratios of the whole soil: we show that a disturbance can decrease the whole-soil C : N ratio and yet increase C : N ratios of all SOM pools. This curious numerical response, known as Simpson's paradox, casts doubt on the meaning of frequently reported whole-soil C : N changes following a disturbance, and challenges the N mineralization estimates derived from whole-soil C : N ratio or single-pool modeling approaches. Whole-soil C : N ratio may not only hide features of the labile SOM pool, but also obscure changes of the large recalcitrant SOM pools which determine long-term N availability.

Opposite changes of whole-soil vs. pools C:N ratios: A case of Simpson's paradox with implications on nitrogen cycling (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/public...paradox_with_implications_on_nitrogen_cycling [accessed Jan 9, 2016].

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
All things relative learn the organic system

you can test your soil yourself with plants and it is the SUPERIOR way to match nutrient profile to cultivar

TerpeneDream

Yea, Teaming w/ Microbes is a great start. Maybe the best. M Astera was chasing too much math for my liking.

Last edited: