What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Americans, give me your BBQ secrets.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Hi there boys n girls. I am hankering after some real American BBQ. Here in the UK, BBQ means gas or charcoal grill, usually cooked as fast as possible before it starts pissing down with rain again--not what I want.
I am planning to build myself a smoker using a small steel drum, I had planned to buid a trashcan smoker but due to mixed information on the safety of using galvanised bins, I decided to get a drum.

My smoker with be the electric hotplate type, using a container full of bagged woodchips for the smoke
So, I am looking for all your special secrets, specifically your dry rubs and mops, ingredients and proportions, along with suggestions for what cuts of meat to use and what to serve with the meat. I'm also interested in opinions about doifferent types of bagged wood, ie oak or hickory, apple etc.
I look forward to seeing your suggestions.
I also look forward to making myself some of that pulled pork like on Man vs Food (cue Homer Simpson laaarrrrgll)

So, give me your sauces, and tell me why yours is best:thank you:

gtgio

danainfo.ambkodhuyxikzxmq32sslsbr-original-bottle-580cs070910.jpg

Here in the UK, BBQ means gas or charcoal grill, usually cooked as fast as possible before it starts pissing down with rain again--

aint that the truth man.
havent had a good bbq for years, and the more that man v food is on, the more i crave it everyday.
Gonna keep tabs on this thread, so hopefully when summer comes, ill give it a go.......lol, thats if we manage to get a few days sunshine this year...lol

W

Womble

harry take a look at BigGreenEgg.com..........bbq as we know it is long gone, these eggs are fucking amazing for slow roasting...chussy :biggrin:

bunkerman

Sweet baby sauce is the bomb.....i hope to try now the dr.pepper sauce......the marinata with 7up is another secret ;)

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Here is how I make some bad ass BBQ pulled pork in the oven.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
Take 1 uncooked pork shoulder
Remove excess fat and skin
Rub down with onion powder, garlic powder, a little bit of dry mustard, salt, and honey
Place in a roasting pan a few inches deep
Fill bottom of roasting pan with with about 1 to 1.5 inches of either orange juice, apple juice or pine apple juice. I prefer apple myself, but which ever you choose will work just the same.
Cover roasting pan with tin foil and tightly seal.
Put pan in 300 degree oven and let cook for 3-4 hours or more depending on size, no exact time, you will know it's done when the meat pulls very easily off the bone.
Remove all meat from the bone, shred and serve with your favorite BBQ sauce. :)

If you pull the pan out of the oven to check status of meat just make sure to seal the tin foil back tight and put in back in until finished. This pulled pork goes great on sandwiches or even better with some home made mac n cheese. I love BBQ!

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Here is how I make some bad ass BBQ pulled pork in the oven.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
Take 1 uncooked pork shoulder
Remove excess fat and skin
Rub down with onion powder, garlic powder, a little bit of dry mustard, salt, and honey
Place in a roasting pan a few inches deep
Fill bottom of roasting pan with with about 1 to 1.5 inches of either orange juice, apple juice or pine apple juice. I prefer apple myself, but which ever you choose will work just the same.
Cover roasting pan with tin foil and tightly seal.
Put pan in 300 degree oven and let cook for 3-4 hours or more depending on size, no exact time, you will know it's done when the meat pulls very easily off the bone.
Remove all meat from the bone, shred and serve with your favorite BBQ sauce. :)

If you pull the pan out of the oven to check status of meat just make sure to seal the tin foil back tight and put in back in until finished. This pulled pork goes great on sandwiches or even better with some home made mac n cheese. I love BBQ!

Many thanks for that....I might do that this week, it's the pulled pork sandwich I'm craving......

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
For a cooker, try a Brinkmans, or even better, if you are serious about it, get a Weber Smokey Mountain. Use natural charcoal if you can find it, much better than stuff like Kingsford. Use hardwood (I like hickory) that has been soaked in water for several hours. Add the hardwood through the cooking process to get the amount of smoke you like. Real woodsmoke is key.

This is a recipe I'm pulling from memory, the written version is about 1500 miles away, but it should be the same. It's from a friend in western KY. I always have a little variation though. This is killer for chickens and also for venison. I marinate the meat in this sauce for about 12 hours; more is even better. When I cook on either of the cookers I referenced above, I fill the water pan with the remaining marinade, or make up enough to fill the water pan and keep it full for the entire cycle.

1.5 pints worchestershire sauce
1.5 pints apple cider vinegar
1.5 pints water (optional; helps stretch the mix)
1 stick of butter
2 oz +/- tabasco or other pepper sauce
2 tbs salt +/-
2 tbs ground black pepper +/-
2-3 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tbs "bbq spice" (a mix I buy in the market, but can make your own)
Juice and pulp of 1 fresh lemon
1/2 medium red onion minced
3-5 cloves of garlic, minced

Thank you for the sauce recipe,
I'm going to be building my own smoker, I have seen those Smokey mountain units, but don't have the spare bread at the moment... Maybe once I get hooked on smoked goodies from my DIY jobbie, I will pony up the moolah for a weber.

whiteberrieS

brains1ck
Veteran
2 bottles of Bullseye Original BBQ sauce with the following amendments:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2-1 tsp garlic (depends on how much you like garlic, I use close to a tsp)
Splash of oregano and a splash of salt, cooked low'n'slow, which your smoker will be able to handle pretty good, 200-225 degrees fahrenheit.....your 5 hour babyback ribs will make your mates slap their mummas.

ydijadoit

Love barbecue!
We have a Traeger grill, and use it often. (I am cooking a pork roast on it as I type). You should be able to get very close to the same cooking conditions as a Traeger, with your drum setup. I'm sure it will take a little practice, but in the end, your results will likely be better than a pellet grill.
If you like ribs, this recipe works awesome, and is very simple. I do 3 hours on smoke, on the Traeger, foil the ribs, and put them in my oven for 2 hours. (I do this to save pellets. Once foiled, there is no smoke penetration, and pellets are expensive!) I follow up, by relighting the Traeger, and finishing the last hour in the smoke. I sometimes go longer uncovered, at the end, but I like my ribs to fall off the bone, and I like a little "Bark" on the outside.
Hope this link helps! Glad to know there are barbecue fans in the UK.
Send me some of those famous fish and chips, please! :tiphat:
http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/detail/88

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Many thanks for that....I might do that this week, it's the pulled pork sandwich I'm craving......

I meant to say in my last post if you have access too it a little smoked paprika in the pre cook rub really adds a nice smoked flavor almost like it was done in the smoker. You wont regret it, it is well worth the time to cook it :D

JVonChron

works in a pinch/low on groceries

~2 tbsp ketchup
~1/3 cup-grape jelly
salt+pepper
~ 1 tbsp Hot sauce
1 tbsp Lemon juice (if ya got it)
1 clove Garlic (if ya got it)

I usually have all the above even when I haven't gone grocery shopping in weeks. jelly,ketchup,s&p, hot sauce anyways.