What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any sound freaks out there?

full time daddy
Veteran
:yoinks: i like it loud..........

i used to run 2 5 1/4 mb quart & 2 1" kicker r22 tweeters for highs ( one per side )
( hence the hole at the top )

i ended up smoking them last week so i upgraded to 3 4" infinty kappa's per side ( 6 all 2gether ) with built in 3/4" tweeter.
the tweets are silk sarround and titanium cones. some of the cleanest highs/mid's i have ever hurd...i have them all 3 ran in parallel so its seeing a 1.5 ohm load ( 4 ohms each ) they came with nice lil crossovers but where rated to low @ 80 cycles & 1.5 ohms is by far to low of a load so i built a 4ohm custem crossover @ 500 cycles 18db+ output so my amp see's a 4 ohm load but still use the infinty one for the tweeter's the reason i went with 500 cycles is im putting in a 8" for mid bass that will run 100-500 cycles then my bass from 20 -100 :D one of the biggest probs with audio ( car & home ) is crossover frequency when speakers overlap frequency u get cancellation witch = distortion

im going to cut the top off and cap it then carpet them and i will take pics of the rest of the system as i put it togther :D this is just the high/midhigh

Last edited:

vodka

Sounds like you have all your sounds covered. Nice setups.
I'm not a true sound freak like yourself but I have noticed I don't care about sound quality as much as I used to I only want LOUD!!! I guess it's all the bad indie recordings I've been listening to last few years. lol.

Last edited:

diggle

00420 said:
:yoinks: i like it loud..........

i used to run 2 5 1/4 mb quart & 2 1" kicker r22 tweeters for highs ( one per side )
( hence the hole at the top )

i ended up smoking them last week....

I get desperate too when I'm all out of herb....

exodus

I'm not that nuts about my sound, mainly because I dont have the money to buy that kind of equipment. I do have a very trained ear though, sadly I can pick out weak points in most sound systems with ease and it makes listening to certain things very irritating :mad:

But anyways, thats a pretty nice setup you have there, and I hope someday I can build something like that myself. If I could only remember where I put that money tree..

Btw- Do you have any experience with high-end headphones? I'm thinking about a pair of Grado's or Shure's to replace my crap-o $50 sony earbuds, and its always nice to talk to people that have experienced them firsthand. None of the stores around me do in-store demos of the good stuff :(

Last edited:

kingspade

i don't have a home audio system just because i don't want to piss off my neighbors ...

but

i do have a $4500 car audio system:

infinity 5 3/4" in the doors - getting 100w @ 4ohm each

4 - 1" infinity tweeters mounted in the front dash and behind the head rests - getting 50w each

4 - infinity 6x9"s, had the back dash cut out and a custom one installed - getting 110w at 4ohm each

4 - 12" alpine type x subs in the trunk - getting 1000w each at 4ohm - trunks all fiberglassed out

full time daddy
Veteran
exodus said:
I'm not that nuts about my sound, mainly because I dont have the money to buy that kind of equipment. I do have a very trained ear though, sadly I can pick out weak points in most sound systems with ease and it makes listening to certain things very irritating :mad:

But anyways, thats a pretty nice setup you have there, and I hope someday I can build something like that myself. If I could only remember where I put that money tree..

Btw- Do you have any experience with high-end headphones? I'm thinking about a pair of Grado's or Shure's to replace my crap-o $50 sony earbuds, and its always nice to talk to people that have experienced them firsthand. None of the stores around me do in-store demos of the good stuff :(

the best headphones i have ever hurd was from raido shack....there made by koss but have the radio shack lable ;)
pro35a 15-25000 cycle's @ 103db output ( most are 25-20,000 @100 db )
u can hear the bass unlike most headsets & u can run them off small amps they handle power i used to run them off a computer speaker amp ( like 30 watts or something crazy )

there worth the 49.99 but keep a eye on them rat shack allways puts them on sell for 19.99 about every 6 months
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...3705&cp=&pg=3&kw=headphones&parentPage=search

i belive this is the same ( dont " " me ) but just a earheadset as to a headband..

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...6192&cp=&pg=4&kw=headphones&parentPage=search

Last edited:

full time daddy
Veteran
kingspade said:
i don't have a home audio system just because i don't want to piss off my neighbors ...

i really worry about that ..... lol......

heres a s close up

and for bass?

tone ported box for the speaker im gonna be useing
http://www.earthquakesound.com/Subzero.htm

this is looking up the port from the inside

heres what i used to run i had 4 in my car....my car motor took a shit so i put it in my house all post my home audio amp in a few :D

car audio ? o ya i play there to hehe heres my new car bass amp it took out 2 of the 4 eclips so i took the 2 left and took it in the house and my home amp took them out

just waiting for my new speakers :D the reason i wen with the kappas for the home audio is they dont have any magnets there heat senk cooled so it can be placed on or by tv's..... this is a plus when using 5.1 sorrund

Last edited:
G

yeah i like music a lot. i mostly play it on my computer got a nice pair of speakers and sub. good sounds quality

diggle

^^^same...how loud do you really need it to be? I have 4 satellite speakers and a small woofer on my PC, and I never go above 50% on the volume...I never need to and my neighbors would think I'm an asshole.
My friend used to run 2 10" woofers in the back of his car (Eclipse woofers I think) and I know that is nothing major to begin with, but at half volume the mirrors would shake so bad you couldn't see in them....serious vibrations, your heart would start to beat funny...like....why? I like my hearing, almost as much as I like my sight....so I don't go starting at the sun for an hour each day, and I don't listen to music at absurd volumes....undue wear and tear on your senses.

exodus

diggle said:
^^^same...how loud do you really need it to be? I have 4 satellite speakers and a small woofer on my PC, and I never go above 50% on the volume...I never need to and my neighbors would think I'm an asshole.
My friend used to run 2 10" woofers in the back of his car (Eclipse woofers I think) and I know that is nothing major to begin with, but at half volume the mirrors would shake so bad you couldn't see in them....serious vibrations, your heart would start to beat funny...like....why? I like my hearing, almost as much as I like my sight....so I don't go starting at the sun for an hour each day, and I don't listen to music at absurd volumes....undue wear and tear on your senses.

Theres a difference though, between quality, accurate sound and thump thump loud shit that you hear in rice rockets going by.

diggle

I realize that...I like quality sound, I spent money to upgrade the system on my PC to something decent....it's loud, crisp, and clear....just how much volume do you really need though? I guess if you got a nice place with some sq. footage you might want something real uber-loud.....

Last edited:
As far as headphones, I have a pair of Sennheiser headphones (DJ style, big ones) that sound excellent. Bose is usually a safe bet, too. Big headphones are a pain in the ass to lug around, but damn, they sound good. Especially when you're stoned out of your mind laying on your bed with the lights out and your eyes closed.

exodus

SpacemanSpliff said:
As far as headphones, I have a pair of Sennheiser headphones (DJ style, big ones) that sound excellent. Bose is usually a safe bet, too. Big headphones are a pain in the ass to lug around, but damn, they sound good. Especially when you're stoned out of your mind laying on your bed with the lights out and your eyes closed.

I had a pair of Senn HD570's, and they were ungodly comfortable, but didnt kick quite hard enough.. that, and everyone around me could always hear what i was listening to.

I think Bose is overhyped though.

G

I have these great Mackie moniors that I used along with a powered 12" sub and with 2 turntables.. no microphone hehe... just the techniques and some SF house. They are self powered, tweets have their own amp and woofs have there own amp, so 2 amps for 2 monitors....

top_hr824.jpg

That was then...this is now and I'm gettin old, married, and workin like 3 dogs so I've got em hooked up to the telly....sold the Techniques. National Geographic sounds good out of em now and 60 Minutes sounds good too. :bat:

full time daddy
Veteran
the reason most speakers sound like shit......
^^^^^^^ shity crossover's^^^^^^^^

heres the setof crossovers i made for the old set up ( started with a 4" mb quart it smoked so i went to a 5 1/4" mb & thats what i smoked to go with what im building )
there a 3way crossover made for homeaudio recevers ( 4ohm's )
20hz-600 for bass
600 - 6000khz bandpass for mid range
6000-20,000 for the highs
12 db + output rated for 150watts rms

out with the old in withe the new :bat:
this set im making is 4way and made for amps not recever's & rated for 800watts rms
im adding in a 8 or 10" for midbass not sure yet
freq range is
5000-22,000 (3/4" )
500-5000 (4" )
100-500 ( 8" ) i have not made this one yet
20-100 (12" ) mybass amp has a crossover built in and i have it set to this

and a side by side ( frunt & back )

Last edited:

kingspade

you built your own crossovers?
thats weird, i've never seen that before
is it even cheaper then just buying them?
they aren't that expensive

mmm420socal

All crossovers are is choke coils man... certain resistance cuts out certain freq's...

I used to get the same kinda stuff from the 'shack for my stuff.

Electronic crossovers are key in the car cuz its easy to tune them but when you KNOW the freq range you wanna cancel its not hard to build you own.

Before I got married I had a decent system,

Alpine head unit w/a 6 disk changer
Alpine 5 1/4s in the front doors (2)
Alpine 4x6's in the rear doors (2)
Alpine 6x9s in the rear deck (2)
Kicker Comp 10's in a ported box in trunk (2)

Fosgate 250aii amp in back (bridged to 360watt, 1 channel)
Fosgate 120aii amp in front for the 4x6s and 6x9s...5 1/4s came off the deck direct.

Crossovers were some kinda POS electronic ones from best buy hahaha.

I built the whole system for a tad over $600 because I got the 10's used and I got a smokin deal on the alpine seperates at my local audio hack shack.

I miss my system, it wouldn't do 140db or anything but it was full sounding and humped OK in my jetta with the windows down and the sunroof open.

Now I rock the stock speakers and blaupunkt tape deck from 1996 hahaha... sucks being married.

M3

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
I got a pair of Infiniti IL-40 fronts, a Marantz SR-4200, old school Accoustic Research rears (Passed down through the family), and a offname german made center. Everything store bought, nothing to that level.

420- Looks like you build your own boxes, what kind of material do you use?

take care,
barender187

Last edited:

kingspade

yea, i know what crossovers are
i actually went to car audio school for three months
and am a certified installer and all that
i just never thought to make your own
you can buy them for usually less than 10bucks
how much does the stuff to make them cost?