What's new

Fruit compost?

Anyone here know much about homemade fruit compost? I'm trying to put together my own super soil, using my homemade fruit compost mixed with local soil as a base soil, then amending similar to subcool's or vic's super soil (and a couple bags of fox farm just to round everything off).

I keep a large compost pile of almost exclusively fresh fruits, with some greens, and lots of yard leaves mixed in.

I'm guerilla gardening this year, so I'm making a 2x concentrated mix then hiking out 3gal per plant and digging a 6 gal hole and mixing 3gal of dirt from the hole with my 3gal bag. I won't be visiting the grow sites very often, if at all, so I need the mix to be strong

I'm wondering if anyone knows about general nutrient ratios or concentration, I want to make my mix as strong as possible without burning so it lasts through flowering this fall. I really have absolutely no idea how strong this kind of compost is, but it's really black and potent-looking.

Please share your experience.

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Fruit based composts will tend to be a bit more P and K heavy, with less N, so you might want to add something on the bottom of the holes.. a fish, blood meal, nettles, alfalfa, there's plenty of natural sources of N.

If the soil, and the compost, are well broken down, it will be pretty difficult to make it too hot, the bacteria, and other things, for example a bit of biochar will sequester the N and slowly release it when its necessary..

Thanks, I'll be amending pretty heavily with blood meal. I was warned against using too much of this compost by a friend who saw it, and he said he'd seen people burn their plants with homemade compost when it was greasy black like that. Maybe they were growing straight in it, idk...

thanks again

ICMaggotMe

Thanks, I'll be amending pretty heavily with blood meal. I was warned against using too much of this compost by a friend who saw it, and he said he'd seen people burn their plants with homemade compost when it was greasy black like that. Maybe they were growing straight in it, idk...

thanks again

Feather meal would be a good choice for a guerrilla grow......it's more of a slow, sustained release N source. I'm thinking it my be less likely to attract critters than blood meal also.

Yep, should have gone with the feather meal. They didn't have it at my local shop I don't think. I've had 2 plants dug up by critters so far :( but I've started putting mothballs around my plants and had no problems since. thanks again everybody

BTW I was able to germ seeds in that compost, so it couldn't have been too strong.