What's new

Senate Votes to Reject Reauthorization of Several Patriot Act Provisions

G

Privacy concerns help opponents strike major blow against flawed legislation

(Washington) The Senate voted today to reject the reauthorization of several components of the USA Patriot Act, on the grounds that many such provisions violate the basic right of Americans to privacy.

In the crucial vote, Patriot Act supporters were unable to obtain the necessary 60 votes to defeat the filibuster proposed by Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI), and Senator Larry Craig (R-ID). President Bush, Attorney General Gonzales, and several GOP congressional leaders engaged in substantial lobbying efforts to make most provisions of the Patriot Act permanent. Additionally, this lobbying sought to safeguard many of these provisions against future attacks in Congress.

Among the most controversial and hotly contested implications of the Patriot Act are roving wiretaps and secret warrants for books, business documents, and confidential personal records. If a compromise is not reached, these 16 provisions of the USA Patriot Act expire on December 31. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist changed his vote at the final minute, realizing that Patriot Act critics were gaining the upper-hand in the standoff.

“The Patriot Act is an under-handed attempt by the Bush Administration and the Republican Congress to expand the size and power of the federal government, and to gain unprecedented authority to snoop into the personal lives of Americans,” stated Shane Cory, chief of staff for the Libertarian Party. “This legislation, while branded as a necessity in America’s fight against terrorism, demonstrates that President Bush and other GOP leaders have no respect for either freedom or privacy that the American people cherish. This legislation should never have been passed, and absolutely should not be re-authorized.”

G

This is so awesome, I thought they WOULD become permenant, I was scared!

This really brightens up my day!

Can't wait till' New Year :joint:

G

Well don't get your hopes up, there is a chance that they can reinstate some of the provisions after the first of the year.

But do to a scandal that has just broke out today, The NSA has been spying on ordinary citizens of the US.
Permission to do so was given by the White House.
Looks as though old Georgie Boy has been caught with his pants down.
But in all honesty, I do not think that those provisions will be reinstated after the first of the year.
But I will say that this is a Victory for America.

G

It's still great news. Thanks for the post. Glad to hear it.
Take care

G

basically the government does whatever the fuck they want unless its completely blatantly fucked up. And if its completely blatantly fucked up they try to justify it, and if that doesent work they eventually ammend it, and if its still completely blatantly fucked up they abolish it. Welcome to America, its been this way at least since the 1900's.

vodka

POd said:
basically the government does whatever the fuck they want unless its completely blatantly fucked up. And if its completely blatantly fucked up they try to justify it, and if that doesent work they eventually ammend it, and if its still completely blatantly fucked up they abolish it. Welcome to America, its been this way at least since the 1900's.

Still good news though!!! :redface:

G

I think its to pacify us after the san diego medial raids. LOL Just kidding i doubt they(dea, Prezzy, congress, SDPD) care what the fuck stoners think anyway.