What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finding Ethiopian strain.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Rastas went to Ethiopia years ago I think the place is called sashema or something like that , Tanzanian Magic was a strain that was dwarf auto flowering pencil thin leaf pure sativa there is an autobiography of a rasta man who had a commune in Jamaica and the Rastas grew weed there in the 30 s thnk his last name was Howell . The Ethiopian could be from Tanzania or an old Rasta strain from Jamaica .
Just to help eliminate one misunderstanding - Tanzanian Magic is not autoflowering. It is just relatively short for a pure sativa, and hence it flowers more quickly.

Even though anything could be true (we'll know when we see the dna), cannabis has been around Africa for a very long time. The oldest descriptions go back to the Nile Valley. Cannabis seems to have diffused very suddenly 2000 BC in Egypt, India, etc.

Within Africa there has long been historic movement of people on an east-west and west-east axis north and south of the Rainforest region.

There was the Borneo people's colonisation of Madagascar about 500 AD. (Some cataclysmic event happened, and the already seafaring people of Borneo ended up in Vietnam/nowadays they're Montagnards and in Madagascar, off the African coast. Over time, the earth is a very small round planet.)

Then, there was the Islamic period of the West African middle ages (Timbouctou, Mali/Mauretania/Morocco), etc. with people going on Haj to Mecca.

Many of the most famous African empires were trading empires. Great Zimbabwe, Malawi, traded as far as Korea and China. (Personally I think there might be a connection between the names Malawi and the Indian Malabar.)

During the colonial era, many Indian laborers and merchants moved to British colonies all over Africa.

What I guess I'm saying is that weed could have been introduced at a very early age, re-introduced over the centuries. Maybe the old strains have survived. Maybe they were replaced by new strains.

Well know when we see the dna.

THCengineer

Hey TanzanianMagic, now, thanks to you, I have a greater appreciation for the cannabis plant in general, including my 5 young Ethiopian beauties in particular. Now I see them not just as "things," but as little green miracles with an illustrious heritage. Remarkably, their fragrant and heady forebears managed to escape from their original locale, as their seeds were transported in the bellies of birds, and their seeded females were plucked from their ancestral patches by our curious prehistoric forefathers. Together, both man and plant migrated, hand-in-hand, across this wild, hazardous planetary wilderness. Evidently, all these countless millennia later, much as we do today, our ancestors enjoyed their holistic, symbiotic relationship with this plant's intoxicating flowers. Simply stated, the effect of cannabis pleases man, so man reciprocates and propagates. How convenient! Now my whimsical "minds-eye" spontaneously traces the sojourn of this legendary ally of humanity down through the turbulent corridors of time. I can visualize how the "magic molecules" of this ingratiating plant are inextricably interwoven into the very fabric of mankind's existence on planet earth. Cannabis has accompanied explorers, adventurers, military expeditions throughout their restless wanderlust travels. Seeds were propagated and plants were cultivated by connoisseurs of long-lost civilizations of earth's distant, forgotten past. Philosophers, poets, musicians and graphic artists have been inspired by the visionary gift of cannabis, thus refining civilization spiritually and intellectually. Its fibers have provisioned industry bountifully and its many natural chemical compounds have enriched mankind's medical arsenal. No wonder the widespread distribution and relentless exploitation of this most versatile and practical "plant laboratory" has been facilitated via ceaseless ancient tribal migrations; forays of age-old trading empires; such exodus/influx/outflow/displacement/relocation/shifting eventually leading up to latter-day colonial era British colonies throughout Africa. But I have a question. When you say, "We'll know when we see the dna," are you implying that, similar to the historic genetic provenance traced through extensive mapping of human dna profiles from samples taken worldwide, cannabis dna mapping may also reveal its ancient IBL-strain pedigree?

W

Water-

Just to help eliminate one misunderstanding - Tanzanian Magic is not autoflowering. It is just relatively short for a pure sativa, and hence it flowers more quickly.

Even though anything could be true (we'll know when we see the dna), cannabis has been around Africa for a very long time. The oldest descriptions go back to the Nile Valley. Cannabis seems to have diffused very suddenly 2000 BC in Egypt, India, etc.

Within Africa there has long been historic movement of people on an east-west and west-east axis north and south of the Rainforest region.

There was the Borneo people's colonisation of Madagascar about 500 AD. (Some cataclysmic event happened, and the already seafaring people of Borneo ended up in Vietnam/nowadays they're Montagnards and in Madagascar, off the African coast. Over time, the earth is a very small round planet.)

Then, there was the Islamic period of the West African middle ages (Timbouctou, Mali/Mauretania/Morocco), etc. with people going on Haj to Mecca.

Many of the most famous African empires were trading empires. Great Zimbabwe, Malawi, traded as far as Korea and China. (Personally I think there might be a connection between the names Malawi and the Indian Malabar.)

During the colonial era, many Indian laborers and merchants moved to British colonies all over Africa.

What I guess I'm saying is that weed could have been introduced at a very early age, re-introduced over the centuries. Maybe the old strains have survived. Maybe they were replaced by new strains.

Well know when we see the dna.

When I look at Phylos it appear that most of their African strains are very closely related, which makes me think they have a fairly recent common ancestor in what looks like India.

Like you said though Im sure Cannabis has been introduced many times into the continent and different times by different peoples.

ULMW

Tenaystellin!! Greetings of health and strength one and all.
I do believe that some research needs doing about Ethiopian cannabis.
I am fortunate to be able to have lived and worked in Ethiopia for 7 years. I am also a member of The 12 Tribes a RasTafarian House that focused upon repatriation and the land grant given by the Emperor Haile Selassie I for the black diaspora and those who wished to repatriate to Africa. The emperor granted this land during his April 1966 visit to Jamaica. He recommendedthat the RasTafari Houses and Members seeking to repatriate also study Ethiopian Orthodox Christainity known as Tewadho.
In 1971 the RasTafari Elders made a visit to Ethiopia and were granted audiences with His Majesty, The Emperor again in Addis Abeba Jubilee Palace. His Majesty gave the repatriation land grant of Shashamane 256km South of Addis Abeba, located deep down on the Rift Valley range towards Awassa. Awassa is the Major city which joins Mainland and Northern Ethiopia to the Southern Regions.
Here is where I wish to clarify , Shashamane is in the Southern Region a low land area idea for crops like maize and sugarcane and fruits like papaya and mago. It is dry and hot most of the year due to its lowland position. Only when you travel back to the Capital of Addis Abeba do we find 2,500 Km above sea level. The first Highland of any kind , Entoto Mountain is the highest point arpund Addis Abeba and was a temporary Capital whilst Addis Abeba was being developed. In The North of Ethiopia are the true Highlands , The Simien Mountain range around Gondar, Axum and Lalibela land mass expands and the plane goes steeply up.
It has only been the past 10 years around Bahir Dar , Axum andLalibela that a few RasTafari families have moved to and set up works. New families and pioneers for the RasTa community in that area.
So although herb does grow in that region it is mainly the best herb from Awassa, Shash and Addis Abeba even..
I have seen great variety from various growers as traditionally the farmers have been busted by local police. So nowadays most herbs are farmed by the Ethiopian farmers themselves. Weight and speed and cash all encourage them to generally produce poor quality commercial grade cannabis. That is where some Families of RasTafari have maintained a plot in the hills to keep some better grade around.
As the Community began in the 70s the herbs grown by the Rases have reflected that time and also where the settlers were coming home from. Jamaican families and then their families in UK or USA all started the growing stock and crossing with the African varieties.
My elder was one of these growers and told me of his fun in the days growing in Addis Abeba behind Taitu Hotel , it can still be found there today too... different plants mind you.
Back then Sativas were the main and post would bring in varities such as Pakistani and Afghani , then some Thai even made it over my elder would recall that most fondly. In the past decade as more and more RasTafari families set up in Shashamane and in Addis Abeba so people bring with them new seeds. Skunks and OG Kush are now in the mix. The kind of come and go, like fashion as it is usually not grown by the Ethiopians , attention quickly finds the source and if the farmer is going against what the police and The Emperor requested they tend to get busted. So the Ethiopian farmer and the Ethiopian commercial is what most people will find there. There was some good hash too as Sudan buys it so much. Ven some bubblehash appeared as I was leaving. I prefer the dry sift gained from this commercial grade herb, works very well with Ethiopian cofffee!!
Another thing I should clear up as well. The RasTafari have been fortunate enough to avoidmuch trouble with herb as a sacrement or religious use when inside own homes or at the Tabernacle , or meeting areas if closed to public.
His Majedty requested that when he revised the Constitution and Laws that medical drugs were identified. Cannabis is included in Ethiopian known drug plants. It is illegal. It carries punishment and imprisonment. Smoking cigarettes and drinking alcoholnare also not common sights in this conservative country.
There is a wellknown myth written on a seed companies description that seeds were given by The Emperor. I find that somewhat blasphemous as a RasTafari and someone fortunate to know and have worked with the Ethiopian Royal Family and Haile Selassie's Grandson, the Crown Prince. The Royal Family gives great discression towards the RasTafari use of herb, yet remind always do not give it to the Ethiopians. It is a great shame to know that in Ethiopia such great weather and climate is present that Medical Marijuana for Africa could revolutionize Ethiopian revenue and open business trade relations but more over provide affordable meds for the masses. Food for thought.
I hope that some time the name Ethiopian will replace the current confusion. Unless someone can show the lines heritage to the actual Highlands of Ethiopian instead of Lowland Shashamane.
Betam Amassaganallo. (Thank you very much)