What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

need help to adjust flower room lighting

mushroombrew

Veteran
That is what my light meter says.

If the cost of 1 Horti is $75 (rounded) and the cost of 1 Plantmax is $25...I guess you could replace the Plantmax bulbs every 2 months and still spend the same (assuming the replacement cycle for Horti's are 6 months).

Look at the this graph--
View Image

Notice the decline in both HPS & MH at 1000 hours (83 1/3 days at 12 hours per day). Six months at 12 hours per day equates to 2190 hours.

Bear in mind, as your lumens & PAR decline with hourly usage, your actual electricity usage will remain the same (no discount). So, imo...if I replace my bulbs more often than every 6 months, then the ratio of my lumens to kilowatts should be more efficient. In other words, why spend the same amount in electricity if the amount of lumens/PAR you receive each month is rapidly declining?

Yeah I am aware of the fall offs.

Great timing for this debate; I have an 8 bulb re lamp coming up in two weeks. Horts are at 6months. I am not sure if I will go all plant max.
But I will at a minimum grab a couple and do a side by side test.

About $650 in horts or $184 for plant max.

Now that I think about it switching every two months as you suggested (same cost) would probably way out do the horts. At least in lumens.
I'll need to compare light frequency graphs on both.

baddagger

Hey all thanks for all the input, forgot to check this post been busy with triming fun.

Well to start off with , who ever mentioned about the Solis tek ballast, I actually have 4 matrix ballast that I have from when I first started growing about 4-5 years ago and absolutely love them plus the major factor that you can swap between 400,600 and 1000 watt single end bulbs and ballast only draws the bulbs power needs and doesn't run only 1000 watt power drain and dims. Right now I run them in my grow room only cause I upgraded flower room to gavitas 6/750.

I'm am looking at considering grab the Solis tek double end ballast to throw in between the gavitas , but the reason I have not got them as of yet is because I'm trying to find out if these there double end ballast only dim a 1000 watt bulb with full power draw or can put both 600 and 1000 watt into the unit.

Also trying to look into there version 2 matrix ballast because it can do both single and double end bulbs but need to find out if the matrix V2 ballast double end light bulb will have same out put as there straight double end only ballast. Also if I can use different watt bulbs, really want to be able to switch
Between different watt bulbs because it will give me more options to play with instead of having to buy a 2nd ballast in case need a higher or lower watt bulb.

As far as my room it is cooled with wall mounted mini split u it's , the overall btu is 48k , but the AC is multi zone so I have two 16k units in flower room,
One wall mounted unit on opposite ends. And the last 12k of btu is used in the grow room. Oh and I do use co2 in the flower room.

One thing I was interested in checking out was I came across a ceramic double end bulb that is three 315 watt bulbs in one that draws 945, you can physically see the 3 different bulbs parts that are are connected to each other that burn as one. Has anyone heard of these bulbs or has any experience with them?

baddagger

Oh for the single end bulbs I normally use digilux bulbs, or Solis tek bubs if I'm using their splitter to run two bulbs off on ballast

mushroombrew

Veteran
Wow 3 x315 that sounds right up my alley. You got a link?

I have those solis tek 1000W adjustables. Pretty sure they may still draw 1000W when turned down. I wish I had a watt meter. I put two at 600W (1200W total) one one double outlet timer rated at 1875. Blew 2 of them so assumption is the draw was in fact 2000W.

What does solis tek have to say about dimming vs power consumption?

mushroombrew

Veteran
I found those bulbs. They run on a DE ballast. Will pick one up and do a side by side. Only heard goid things about LEC. Thanks for letting me know about the 945!
Sick!!

Last edited: