What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Something wicked this way comes

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Hey guys I have a ppk grow going at the moment using floranova grow (Got a bit lazy and like to try different nutes, 1 part appealed to me). Anyway I filled my res's at .9 pump and 1.1EC top off (both ph 5.8) and let shit go for a week, when I checked again it was .9ec and ph 5.3 in the pump tank, while top off tank was drained...

Does this signal a root problem with the ph dropping instead of rising? Plants look sweet as, but last run using a clean 2 part nute I only ever had slight rising of ph and lowering of ec. Thought that's how shit was meant to be?

Have a circulating pump in top off tank hooked up to same timer as feed pump. Only being fed twice a day though will now bump that up to 4 times. Point of that statement is both tanks getting circulation twice daily.....

Thoughts?

Cheers
High 967. I have used Nova bloom in the past for veg>bloom with good success and still use it for seedlings and mothers at 400-450ppms. But the idea of bubbling the volume rez although good to keep ppms stable and not precipitate/separate makes me want to warn of clogged feed lines, I still use 1/4" feed lines from vol rez to control rez.. I have stopped adding pre-mixed nutes to my volume rez while at the same time feed lines are open. IMO, the dirt/crud that builds up in the bottom of the volume rez circulates that crud which is sucked into the feed lines and potentially clog that/those lines. that line is shut down for a couple hours before topping off volume rez before reopening so that dirt/crud doesnt have the chance of being sucked into tat line... my feed schedule is about a quart every 1.5 hours, 24/7 in bloom. I do not look at PH very often.. makes me crazy. I've had no ph problems with Jacks+ that I know of :biggrin:.

I can't get jacks here and not that keen on importing it, so I just use what I can source locally. Usually change up the veg nutes, use whatever I feel like at the time, while I have settled on flairform bloom for flower (2-2-6)

Shit is by far the best I have found personally for flower...

Also am running 1/4" feed lines 2 per plant tee'd off open ended (so 4 streams each plant). And 1/4" from top off to pump tank - so far so good

Cheers

Hydropimp

Veteran
Hey fellas anyone know where to get the 7gal feed pans other than tractor supply or rualking.

I order 4 and there are giving me some bs about another warehouse.

Tractor supply does not do shipping. Have to look for a third party to go in pick up and ship.

Aint that some shit.

Miraculous Meds

Is it better to have a 3.5gl bucket on top for the 5 Light 4 plant 8' ceiling layout?

Its plenty of medium for that amount of light. Now you end up with a 10" pot instead of the 7 gal is about 7" I think. I like the 3.5s in the tree grow rooms because they aren't as wide as the 7's. Apples and oranges, you can make both work fine.

Earlmarne

Hey fellas anyone know where to get the 7gal feed pans other than tractor supply or rualking.

I order 4 and there are giving me some bs about another warehouse.

Tractor supply does not do shipping. Have to look for a third party to go in pick up and ship.

Aint that some shit.
I order mine from rural king online

Hydropimp

Veteran
Placed another order. I got most of the stuff i need to build the system just need the feed pans.

The turface i need to buy is the turface all sport pro right

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Also am running 1/4" feed lines 2 per plant tee'd off open ended (so 4 streams each plant). And 1/4" from top off to pump tank - so far so good

Cheers
Back in the day, D9 advocated larger mag drive pumps for feeding with 1/2" feed lines. His logic:> the faster the PPK is flooded, the bigger the influx of air (CO2) thru the media and to the root ball as that "slug" of water sucks air thru the media as it makes its' way into the PPK rez underneath. This action is what makes bubbling water/nutes in the feed rez not necessary. I feed/dose a quart of water/nutes every hour and a half @ about 12 seconds per dose in 3.5 gallons of media/PPK. Pretty sure that drip feeding into PPK will present problems later in bloom. :tiphat:

Hydropimp

Veteran
Thanks fellas

I bought the 3/8 quick connect float valve.

So feed is the 1/2 soft hydro farm tubing. I got that.

The return is 5/8 goodyear hose. In D' new system the hose that connects to the end cap is a smaller tube.

So i should return the 3/8 float valve for a 1/4 one?

gmanwho

Veteran
Hydro. before you drill the final hole take a scrap piece of plastic, or drill a smaller first, an make sure the hole u drilled makes a tight enough fitting to the hose. def can run into hoses with different wall thicknesses. an possibly maybe want to get all food grade hose an garden hose for potable water. not all are the same. i had a garden hose that after a year or so of use i was doing a clean out an i noticed the inside of the hose was actually breaking down. small pasty like mush rubber balls in the side walls. was not algea or buildup. i think that was a continental hose. i wondered what it could have been leeching into the water. after that i just adjusted the hole sizes an re plumbed with standard 3/4 hydro black hose. it still works with using the tightness of the connection to make the seal. every system now on i use the black hydro hose. i buy the 100ft rolls online as my local hydro store is far more expensive..

i went with 2 screws holding caps in the tailpiece , was more then enough to hold together.

Hydropimp

Veteran
Thanks Gman for the heads up. I did just purchase the continental hose.

So vinyl hose then 1/2 in. Also i bought the 1/2 in fittings from lowes.