What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sacred Seeds Skunk #1 in 1980

Wow man super cool thread, maybe this will shush the younger generation's disbelief that this variety ever existed. With all of this interest I sure hope Sam cares enough to bring it back to the masses because anyone holding a cut is hordeing it for profitability and as I see it Sam's seed company should be getting paid not the variety hoarders.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I hope you don't mind me adding this picture i just took of a t-shirt i possess. I just realized its based on the seed package picture you started the thread off with pretty cool hey? Its an old t-shirt.

picture.php

window

Veteran
HK, that t is awesome, I want one, lol.

I just got a pack of Hindu Kush and Skunk#1.:biggrin:

Madjag

Veteran
I hope you don't mind me adding this picture i just took of a t-shirt i possess. I just realized its based on the seed package picture you started the thread off with pretty cool hey? Its an old t-shirt.

View Image

Who is Danny MacDonald, the shirt's "designer" ? He says it is an "original".

When and where did you get it?

Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I was trying to recall, pretty sure an older friend of mine, I think I know which guy, an old stoner from the same era as you thereabouts, he would be about 70 now. I have had it for I'd say 15 years at least, but it was not new when it was given to me. I looked up on google and found nothing, it may take Sam to enlighten us.

As it says it a Danny Macdonald original, it really makes me think he designed the seed pack too.

My Dad is dropping by later, I will see if he has any idea, otherwise my mom might be able to nail it down.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Cool shirt hashmasta.

Sam skunk man needs to get to work and bring the Rks back. Now there is proof it existed this thread would be a perfect lead in to a rerelease of his old stock. The time has never been more perfect to bring the Rks back.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Cool shirt hashmasta.

Sam skunk man needs to get to work and bring the Rks back. Now there is proof it existed this thread would be a perfect lead in to a rerelease of his old stock. The time has never been more perfect to bring the Rks back.

I have a strong feeling most, if not all the "roadkill" skunk as we call it, to have been the Afghani #1, more likely than the misleadingly named Skunk #1 i think. Madjag has kind of verified this in the roadkill skunk thread.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran

View Image

The shirt is a copy of my Sacred Seeds seed pak art, I had zero to do with the shirt, but I have seen other copies over the years, I have a Cultivators Choice Skunk #1 T shirt made by others, that people sent me when I told them it was my art. As well as a few of the Sacred Seeds T shirts made by me in the late 70's. If you or anyone can send me the contact of T-shirt maker Danny Macdonald? Danny had zero to do with my original Sacred Seeds art. BTW, RKS was not Afghani #1 it was the skunky original Skunk #1, Afghani #1 did not smell like skunks.
-SamS

Last edited:

kashkr0p

The shirt is a copy of my Sacred Seeds seed pak art, I had zero to do with the shirt, but I have seen other copies over the years, I have a Cultivators Choice Skunk #1 T shirt made by others, that people sent me when I told them it was my art. As well as a few of the Sacred Seeds T shirts made by me in the late 70's. If you or anyone can send me the contact of T-shirt maker Danny Macdonald? Danny had zero to do with my original Sacred Seeds art. BTW, RKS was not Afghani #1 it was the skunky original Skunk #1, Afghani #1 did not smell like skunks.
-SamS

This might be him but not sure

https://mobile.twitter.com/danny_macd

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
-SamS

Madjag just said in the RKS thread, that in his opinion the afghani #1 was the most like a skunk spray skunk smell of all the seeds he grew that he bought from you, so I am confused now. He said the skunk #1 seeds were a different smell, and not the true skunk spray smell, which I and most agree is what roadkill skunk emitted. Maybe between the two of you the confusion can be solved, as you are both saying the opposite of each other pretty much here:

I want to say that Afghani #1 was the skunkiest, the reek skunk scent. As Sam S said, he bred the original Skunk #1 for sweetness, probably leaning toward the Sativa (NLD) side.

Skunk #1 had a strong aroma, once crushed it filled a room or space quickly, however it would be tricky to call it a true "skunk spray" scent unless you can I.D. the sweetness in that. For lack of better words the term Skunk #1 could have been changed until later when Sam said it became more Indica/Afghani in scent, deeper, like a sick, sad skunk.

Road-Kill? Maybe that's it. That term wasn't around in 1979 or at least Rob Clarke never used it when he visited our gardens and saw Skunk #1 in the wilds of Arizona. We never got a chance to get any finished buds back to Clarke. That would be the clincher if we had.

I always identified with Skunk #1 as being sooo much more fragrant than even the dankest (another recent term) Colombian. Up til the time I met Clarke, the heaviest scents that I had experienced were from Colombia. My dear old Colombian friend Peter, AKA, Gerardo, AKA Johnnie, had access to the finest stash-quality Colombo and some of it expressed truly jungle, rich, dark aromas that were comparable to bass notes in the perfume world. Skunk #1 had that same overwhelming potent scentability but was a top note, the zone where sweetness resides.

A sweet Skunk smell would be fragrant like musk, like patchouli, more than a skunk spray. The skunk spray scents that came later or were present already in strains like Afghani #1 were just a different zone. Sam and Rob could have called it Sweet Musk #1, but would anyone understand?

Croissant

Hey Sam_theskunkman,

When you come out of retirement can you get some dope tshirts made of your old school art too? I want some of those Tshirts of that art... they gonna be classics too.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
I think I just found ONE thing you and Nev agree on, Sam: There was no Afghani #1 in the old skunk bred by you.

BTW, RKS was not Afghani #1 it was the skunky original Skunk #1, Afghani #1 did not smell like skunks.
-SamS

And now a quote from Nevil:

The Maple Leaf came from a guy known to me as Jim Ortega. We traded seeds for a while. Not only did he supply me with Maple Leaf, but also Garlic Bud and Kush 4. The cannabis smoking world owes him a lot.

The Maple Leaf line provided me with a plant that I labeled Afghan T. This plant is the mother of Super/Ultra Skunk and also crossed well with HzC.

Kush 4, I crossed with NL2(which had the same Kush smell) and this Kush Hybrid is the foundation of todays Kush lines.

Garlic bud has also made it's presence felt and is part of todays super yielders.

Let me say one more thing about ML AfgT. This plant had exactly the same smell as Sams best SK1 but more so. It is the true Skunk archetype. I do not believe for one N.Y. minute that Afghani#1 is behind the SK1, which IMO gives credence to the Mendecino Joe story about SK1.

The world owes you a big Thank You Jim!
Let me be the first to say that I appreciate the work that you have done.
N.

HB.

Madjag

Veteran
Madjag just said in the RKS thread, that in his opinion the afghani #1 was the most like a skunk spray skunk smell of all the seeds he grew that he bought from you, so I am confused now. He said the skunk #1 seeds were a different smell, and not the true skunk spray smell, which I and most agree is what roadkill skunk emitted. Maybe between the two of you the confusion can be solved, as you are both saying the opposite of each other pretty much here:

@Hashmasta-Kut
@Everyone Reading This

Hahahaha....you better go with what Sam says as far as anything that was his creation, don't you think.

After 35+ years, what do I know....Sam has stayed with it evry minute of the way, from then until now. Believe it.

"HEMPEROR"

Great thread @madjag its been needed,(the truth) thankyou for sharing your pics and knowledge, its appreciated:)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
@Hashmasta-Kut
@Everyone Reading This

Hahahaha....you better go with what Sam says as far as anything that was his creation, don't you think.

After 35+ years, what do I know....Sam has stayed with it evry minute of the way, from then until now. Believe it.

If you guys agree, thats cool with me. I just pointed out the discrepancy to achieve clarity on the issue.

I am still mystified why our skunk looked nothing like any of the plants you showed in your skunk#1 grow though, it was a rock hard buds, fairly short, multi top indica predominant plant; I posted a picture of it in the RKS thread recently.

Latest posts

Latest posts