What's new

ventilation advice needed 6x3x6 box seal it up? window?

dreday

ventilation has consistently been the most frustrating aspect of indoor growing for me. Now I find myself in yet another situation where I need to move forward but cannot make up my mind on what exactly to do. If I ask questions that have been asked and answered time and time again I apologize, I've read and I've researched but feel like I need some input from those more experienced than me. I've got a 6x3x6 box I've got one 600 hps in one half and am planning on getting another for the other half. 6" hurricane pulling from the light and a 4" hurricane on the ceiling connected to a scrubber I've got 7 4" intake holes on the sides and front. this box is in decent sized bedroom. it does ok but temps creeping up to high 80s and its not even summer yet and I only have one light... I know the problem is my intake air is stale shitty warm indoor air made worse by the box exhausting into the room. there is a window I could exhaust air out and bring fresh air in but this is a second story room on a rental by a residential road, Id rather not have ducting sticking out my window. though if I have to I will. I am legal I jus would rather not flaunt it. I've got a 4" blower I was thinking of sticking on one of the intakes if I do put it to the window. I've also been reading about sealed rooms and ac. I do have a small window ac unit. eventually I would love to seal this box but right now the thought of more construction more money is overwhelming. but if that's my best option and I plan on it anyway Ill make it happen. what would I need to get for co2 and what would I be looking at spending? I'm jus lookin for any input any ideas sorry if this is unclear I tried to cover everything as quickly as I could.. thanks in advance

Leodagan

We are both very fresh on the forum !

I am here because of the exact same problem. How can we use a window and still being discreet...

Granger2

Veteran
dreday,
To keep temps down, you'll need about 10k btu. Do you have central air in the rest of the house? Are you running your lights at night? Can't you intake from the rest of the house? Is your window wide enough to have 2 window units side by side? If so, you can put a real AC in, and next to it you can have a junker/throw away unit which you have gutted. You can run your lamp cooling exhaust into the empty AC shell, and from the outside, it'll just look like an AC.

This is an either or deal. With enough AC you won't need to exhaust from the room. Your box will be a closed system with intake from the AC'd room, exhaust into the AC'd room. You can exhaust air cooled lamps to the outside if that works space wise. I would have twice per minute air turnover from your box to control temps. Your bedroom becomes a lung room. I'd recommend exhausting from the grow box thru a carbon filter into the lung room. https://www.amazon.com/Atmosphere-S-600-Vortex-S-Line-Ultra/dp/B00EIRU2YU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466202192&sr=8-1&keywords=vortex+6%22+fan Vortex "S"- Speed control it down to about 250 cfm.

A CO2 tank and regulator w/timer would be your best bet, but if you need to wait awhile for money, you can use those CO2 bags for awhile. Good luck. -granger

Speed of green

Yeah portable A/C's are shit, I was trying to say to just run your fan ducting to one of the window kits. Sorry if that came out wrong.

Leodagan

Yeah portable A/C's are shit, I was trying to say to just run your fan ducting to one of the window kits. Sorry if that came out wrong.

I think you just helped me in a big way ! I will build something like this on my window and it will be all fine !

The thing is to make this not look too suspicious...

bigbadbiddy

There is a very oldschool youtube video from dutch television on "how to build a grow room".
Guy in a white shirt, long blonde hair, very dutch.

Check out the video, they show, among other things, how to encase a window so it looks the same from the outside and can be used to vent air.
Very easy, very sleak.

The video is good for many other things as it gives a very simple, detailed guide on building an average grow room.
Whenever you get lost or overwhelmed, you can just check out the vid and take it as a guideline.

Leodagan

There is a very oldschool youtube video from dutch television on "how to build a grow room".
Guy in a white shirt, long blonde hair, very dutch.

Check out the video, they show, among other things, how to encase a window so it looks the same from the outside and can be used to vent air.
Very easy, very sleak.

The video is good for many other things as it gives a very simple, detailed guide on building an average grow room.
Whenever you get lost or overwhelmed, you can just check out the vid and take it as a guideline.

Yeah ! I watched it last week ! Great video !

Leodagan

Ok guys, here is what I came up with. All I needed was some wooden boards and a couple of screws. This idea of portable window AC kit got me inspired. The electric shutter keeps everything tight and solid. The third wooden board hides the outputs. It is all black, so from the outside one thinks the shutter is open. It is barely noticeable anyway.

I was struggling with aeration for a couple of months. Now hot air, odors and heat are all gone outside ! My house is dry and odorless ! so happy !

Speed of green

Hell yeah man, that is legit. Looks really clean, anyone that notices it definitely wouldn't think a stoner built it :)

Mine has a little vertical divider so the exhaust won't go directly back in the intake, not sure if you are just exhausting or what.

Good job!

Leodagan

Hell yeah man, that is legit. Looks really clean, anyone that notices it definitely wouldn't think a stoner built it :)

Mine has a little vertical divider so the exhaust won't go directly back in the intake, not sure if you are just exhausting or what.

Good job!

I just added a divider too. I figured I needed an intake, so I added a third output.

zeke99

Ok guys, here is what I came up with. All I needed was some wooden boards and a couple of screws. This idea of portable window AC kit got me inspired. The electric shutter keeps everything tight and solid. The third wooden board hides the outputs. It is all black, so from the outside one thinks the shutter is open. It is barely noticeable anyway.

I was struggling with aeration for a couple of months. Now hot air, odors and heat are all gone outside ! My house is dry and odorless ! so happy !

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68155&pictureid=1619339&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68155&pictureid=1619342&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68155&pictureid=1619336&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=68155&pictureid=1619344&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

A brilliant DIY. I bought a window AC kit and the problem is that the part that hose connects to is a 5" circle that reduces down to a smaller oval. So for my 8" fan, I had to special order an 8" to 5" reducer from Home De Pot, but in reality, it is twice reduced.