What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

County D.A. promises ‘aggressive’ crackdown on growers who don’t enter legal market

R

Robrites

Mendocino County District Attorney David Eyster has a message for marijuana growers who decide not to enter the legal market: Expect law enforcement to knock on your door.
“We’re in a new era,” he said. “But I think anybody that has been alive during any different period of marijuana has come to understand that if you are cheating the system or not doing it right, you’ll probably come in contact with law enforcement….”
Eyster in a Facebook post last week piggybacked on a statement made by the state’s Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation chief, to a Santa Rosa crowd on May 9.
“Lori Ajax, chief of California’s new Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation headquartered in Sacramento, says ‘the state’ (read: local prosecutors and all law enforcement agencies) must aggressively root out black market pot in order for the legitimate industry to thrive,” he wrote on May 16. “This message should set expectations for those who continue to be out there or are contemplating venturing into this new frontier. Play by the new rules or expect old-fashion criminal litigation.”
Eyster clarified in an interview that he took Ajax’s words to mean there needs to be “aggressive enforcement” against the black market for the legal market to grow and thrive.
He also stressed the distinction between legalization and decriminalization. In this case, marijuana is being decriminalized, he said, because the offenses and charges are simply being scaled back.
“There’s a lot of ways to stay away from law enforcement now, under the new laws,” he said.
He predicts a lot of people who have been growing in the black market will decide to “roll the dice” and see if they get prosecuted. And he is sure those who do so will not be able to get away with it.
MORE

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Mother fuckers!:moon:

It's all about control of our lives, with these bastards!
If they can't steal our money by busting us and fining us, they want to steal it by charging for a license and taxing us.
Stay out of my life. It's none of your fucking business if I grow my weed like I grow my tomatoes.

Kiss my ass...

O

Orrie

oops... stoned too early this morn....meant to say yeah that^

Reading further it sounds more like an aggressive 'shakedown'-

"Eyster’s program has already been allowing eligible suspects to plead to a misdemeanor and get probation, provided they pay the fee and agree to follow-up procedures. The alternative sentence is offered only to those who have no record, express remorse, have not been growing on public lands or violating environmental standards. Money collected from those deals goes to county law enforcement."

Last edited:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
1q4oar.jpg

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
they do seem to be trying to claw a lot of money back from peeps in cali,,,,
fucking inland revenue are relentless,,,,,,
grow ya cannabis but pay the piper,,,,s2

oldchuck

Veteran
There probably wouldn't be any legalization at all if the government didn't get a cut. Everything we buy, every dollar we earn(legally) has a tax attached. No taxes, no government which might please certain people but is not realistic.

cyat

Veteran
It's like they are beating a dead horse.. We already don't make money any more now they want taxes and fees and licensing $$$ how in reality will that work?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone could see this coming. They will be busting and harassing people till hell freezes over. I still support 64 warts and all. It freed up the non selling growers for the most part.

Most people will just buy buds at a store rather than grow. I made a deal with the devil and accept it as it stands. When you die you can talk to God and smoke out on your crop with him with no piggies to bother you. In this life pot will never be treated like tomatoes for use or growing.

cyat

Veteran
How are you not making money...?

After rent and power I pretty much break even slightly better sometimes. The current prices are so low it's ridiculous, plus with the over saturation of herb in California its always a challenge to get rid of, and the price per lb drops about 400 a yr.

Andyo

Veteran
obvious from the begining

obvious from the begining

It was obvious the minute medical cards appeared that this would happen

I want nothing to do with legal weed
been growing 40+ yrs illegal im in an illegal country now n staying that way.A

Andyo

Veteran
So how long before the self righteous

So how long before the self righteous

So how long before a new never grown illegally self righteous medical grower rats on an *illegal grower

Or sits on a jury in judgment of a marijuana grower.A

armedoldhippy

Veteran
So how long before a new never grown illegally self righteous medical grower rats on an *illegal grower

Or sits on a jury in judgment of a marijuana grower.A

i hate to say it, but it has probably already happened. competition, you know...that, plus money/jealousy, brings out the very worst in human beings. sitting on the jury COULD work to the accused persons benefit, if it became known that the so-called "juror" did not disclose the obvious (to me) conflict of interest IE-cutting out the competition.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Its about the money..

Its about the money..

How do you expect the Sacramento idiots to pay for the bullet train between Fresno and Sacramento?

Zoom Zoom :moon: all aboard, last stop Fresno

shaggyballs

Veteran
I see seed sellers are snitching each other out on IG to eliminate the competition.'
Seems like legalization is about who can snitch out who first to gain market share?

packerfan79

Veteran
Figures, I hate California, the land of rats, and slaves. We are taxed to death. Now the irony of more people imprisoned with legalization. Fuck fake legalization.

George

Legal lol, didn't care then don't care now. These politicians are funny and still seem too stupid to understand that we never gave a shit anyways LOOOLL

AWDTERROR

After rent and power I pretty much break even slightly better sometimes. The current prices are so low it's ridiculous, plus with the over saturation of herb in California its always a challenge to get rid of, and the price per lb drops about 400 a yr.

If you are breaking even than you are doing something very wrong