What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sunshine Mix # 4 vs Promix HP

C

chris harris

Going to need to buy one or the other soon, looking for comments, suggestions, etc. Only interested in these 2 soilless mixes. Always thought these 2 products were the same, I see they are not. I have included "spec" sheets of both products. Not sure if I am understanding some of the numbers correctly.
First thing that caught my eyes is the PH of S.S#4 out of the bag( 4.6-5.2). After a 14 day soak, it came up to 5.5-6.5. I'm assuming that's cause the lime has been activated. This stuff comes with a wetting agent, shouldn't the lime be already activated? I see the ProMix PH seems more better( 5.2-6.2, with 6.2 after a 7 day soak)
So does this mean if you are using S.S.#4, you should soak and let cook for 2 weeks?
Also see in S.S #4 there is fuck all for "P", more Mg, more Sulphur, way less "N" than ProMix Hp. Water holding capacity number is lower, which, if I am understanding correctly, means it drains better?

Last edited:

jaype

I to use sunshine mix #4 and have been reusing the same sunshine mix for about 9 grow cycles..(can't afford to buy anymore) I have only added bat guano to it once and now I need to add some perlite as what was in there is about gone. But that will have to wait as I'm fighting the government to get my disability and it's hard enough taking care of my 3 boys and wife.

C

chris harris

Thanks for the replies. Was worried about dropping plants into a mix with a PH of 4.6-5.2. Sounds like it hasn't caused you guys any problems, and Sungro thinks there's no problem either. They claim there is no such thing as PH lockout.
I see my attachments are NFG, I'll try again, for anyone interested.

picture.php

picture.php

Muleskinner

Veteran
great discussion, since Fafard's mixes are being phased out, I have to switch to one of these two.

The question would seem to be, is Sunshine worth the additional 20-30% more it costs over Promix? hopefully you get coarser, better quality peat for the extra money.

Does anyone know exactly how much perlite is in these? I just got a bag of Sunshine #1, it says 70-80% peat on the label, I assume that means somehwere between 20-30% perlite?

Is extra perlite the only difference between these "high porosity" mixes and the regular ones?

stonedfly

Ive used both SS#4 and Pro Mix for a while now

I started with SS#4 ... but found it becomes too waterlogged ... or doesn't drain as well as Promix HP...

I have found more consistent results with Promix vs. SS#4 , lighter , airier , and less sticks and bark.

around here (BC) promix is king it seems

Truthful

I agree with stonedfly plus those sticks and bark in SS#4 break down later in the grow adding extra N among other things back into the mix.

stonedfly

I also cut my PRomix HP with approx. 1/3 more perlite...

something like a 25L bag of perlite per bale of promix... not quite sure as I get a large bag of perlite now ( maybe 120L? ) and mix till I feel happy

both products are very similar... I however will ONLY use promix HP ... I will not do another run in SS#4 or Promix BX. I find promix HP to be the most inert of the 3

Muleskinner

Veteran
looks like I will be trying Pro-mix MP which is the organic one. However it's got coir in it. So the only organic ones w/o coir are the Sunshine ones.

Truthful

Coir is shredded coconut husk, almost don't get any more organic than that! Most soilless mixes are organic, even clay pebbles and silica rocks, HP has a starter fert in it but to my knowledge it's organic they just didn't pony up for OMRI certification.

C

chris harris

great discussion, since Fafard's mixes are being phased out, I have to switch to one of these two.

The question would seem to be, is Sunshine worth the additional 20-30% more it costs over Promix? hopefully you get coarser, better quality peat for the extra money.

In my area they both are priced similar. I see S.S #4 avail in a 3.0 cu.ft bag ( instead of 3.8), maybe that's the price difference your seeing?

Does anyone know exactly how much perlite is in these? I just got a bag of Sunshine #1, it says 70-80% peat on the label, I assume that means somehwere between 20-30% perlite?

Ya, I see ProMix lists the ratio but Sungro don't. Add to the confusion is there is a few Sunshine Mix #4 , standard #4, Sunshine Mix #4 Aggregate ( more perlite), and S.S.#4 Advanced( c/w coir).

Is extra perlite the only difference between these "high porosity" mixes and the regular ones?

I also cut my PRomix HP with approx. 1/3 more perlite...

something like a 25L bag of perlite per bale of promix... not quite sure as I get a large bag of perlite now ( maybe 120L? ) and mix till I feel happy

both products are very similar... I however will ONLY use promix HP ... I will not do another run in SS#4 or Promix BX. I find promix HP to be the most inert of the 3

Thinking this is the way I'm gonna go as well. I'm just not comfortable dropping my cuttings in PH 4.6, and I don't have the space to soak a few bales to get PH up. Thanks for the suggestions.

looks like I will be trying Pro-mix MP which is the organic one. However it's got coir in it. So the only organic ones w/o coir are the Sunshine ones.

I see there is a Sunshine Mix #4 Advanced c/w coir, and organic ferts.

Truthful

I stopped adding amendments like castings, guanos, etc to my HP it seriously fucks up the CEC, feeding those in with teas has been for more productive than mixing it in.

raven44

Is anyone aware of the real percentage values of perlite in bx and hp?

I will email promix but this may save time..

Im told Berger bm1 is great peat. It's what I will try when it becomes available in my area

I'd like to try hp rather than bx now lol.

I've been using bx and cutting with a good bit of perlite. I have no experiences with other peat brands as im new to growing.

What in your guys minds would make the hp "more inert" than the bx im curious?

C

chris harris

From Premier Tech ( Pro Mix) website: HP= 65-75% peat
BX=75-85% peat.

Truthful

Recently been using ProMix HP/CC it has coir fibers and chunks in it and drains a bit faster than HP. It stays "softer" and doesn't compact making life easier on the roots, going to stick with this for the time being.

Muleskinner

Veteran
if you go to the Promix web site and click on the MSDS (safety sheet) for each mix it tells you the exact percentage of each ingredient.

yes, all these are pretty much organic, except maybe for the wetting agent which is probably insignificant. I know the Fafard organic used Espoma chicken shit/feather meal as the "starter charge", it's cheap, wouldn't be surprised if it's in the others. The "starter charge" has never made much difference, it must be a very small amount.