What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FDA Approves Synthetic Weed

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has given its stamp of approval on synthetic weed for the first time. Earlier this month, the FDA approved the liquid formulation of dronabinol — a synthetic form of the psychoactive compound in cannabis: tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

Popular Science reports that the synthetic liquid formulation will be sold under the name of Syndros and will be categorized as a Schedule III substance under the Controlled Substances Act. Falling under Schedule III means the liquid formula of dronabinol is for medical use, with low chances of abuse and addiction. In comparison, natural cannabis is classified as Schedule I, which makes it federally illegal and a substance considered to have a high potential for abuse.

Dronabinol has been available since the mid-1980s in a pill form (sold commonly under the brand Marinol) and has been prescribed to treat nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy and other cancer medications. What separates Syndros from Marinol is the formula and being a liquid means Syndros might be easier for patients to absorb.

“It is a liquid that is easy-to-swallow and allows for the dosage to be titrated to clinical effect,” says Insys Therapeutics, the parent company manufacturing both Marinol and Syndros, in a press release.

Marinol and Syndros are approved for treating chemotherapy induced nausea and weight loss related to AIDS. But there are some experts who are wary of synthetic cannabis, as it may have limitations. Dr. Perry Solomon, a medical marijuana physician and chief medical officer of HelloMD, told Motherboard that synthetic marijuana does not have the “entourage effect” where all the chemicals in the plant react with each other.

"I think it is really important to understand the difference between a preparation that has gone through clinical development and one that hasn't,” told Catherine Jacobson, director of clinical research at Canadian medical cannabis company Tilray, to Motherboard. “We would like to do research on whole plant extracts. One of the holdups is the lack of safe, reliable, consistent products that are not pharmaceutical products."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fda-approves-synthetic-weed/ar-BBuZxmG?li=BBnb7Kz

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Dronabinol is actually THC, and it's not exactly accurate to call synthetic.... in the industry it has been referred to over and over again as semi-synthetic since it's created form a naturally produced molecule.

Dronabinol is created from cannabidiol extracted from hemp plants grown in Germany. The CBD is converted to THC chemically; they do this because it's legal to grow CBD containing hemp, but illegal to grow THC producing drug cannabis.

Last edited:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Insys is a registered manufacturer not importer, they told the DEA they'd make synthetic CBD and some would be for conversion to THC. It's a public company and their press releases say their CBD is homemade. The best synthesis for CBD doesn't seem to be patented. Maybe the Germans are selling them olivetol?

Current US federal law. (g) Hallucinogenic substances.

(1) Dronabinol (synthetic) in sesame oil and encapsulated in a soft gelatin capsule in a U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved product - 7369.
[Some other names for dronabinol: (6aR-trans)-6a,7,8,10a-tetrahydro-6,6,9-trimethyl-3-pentyl-6H-dibenzo [b,d]pyran-1-ol] or (-)-delta-9-(trans)-tetrahydrocannabinol]

It's doubtful whether THC from natural CBD would really meet the synthetic part of the exception, or if the DEA would allow the importation of cannabinoid material for sale or synthesis. Marinol was originally and is probably still made from olivetol.

Maybe someone at msn knows someone holding Insys stock that's been tanking for months? The law obviously needs to change for Insys to actually sell this - maybe it will happen like the DEA is Insys' bitch - or the stock will keep tanking. The stock wouldn't be tanking if Insys made Marinol - not exactly a tablet - like the article says they do.

Some lichens contain up to 30% olivetol.

And yeah corky the japanese can make burgers out of feces/sewage waste butt thats a whole different story

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
so the natural form is still illegal but manufactured into a pill/drops it's A-Ok right? anyway carry on #fuckingthepolice

Betterhaff

Veteran
^ ^ That’s a different thing…probably of the likes of “Spice” or “K2”. Still a shame people have died using that stuff, if weed where legal there would be no need for it.

Drewsif

That same company donated half a mill to anti-legalization efforts in AZ last year.

Insys makes fentanyl too, (the drug that cartels are acquiring and selling as heroin) , putting them on par with Bayers(Monsanto) opium racket.

Right down the road from Insys is the nasty nute factory called Botanicare, weed contaminators and sell outs to Scotts-MiracleGro (Bayer-Monsantos exclusive Roundup distributor)

Corporate Az, as crooked as it gets.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Would have been zero reason for synthetic to appear if cannabis were legal. Whenever the legislature would outlaw a synthetic , it's molecule would be slightly altered as to be legal. After many reincarnations the synthetic "cannabinoids" are far from being cannabis- like. When these products first appeared in Virginia about ten years ago, it was the best weed buzz I could find. It was better than the best chronic bud, but the price was more commercial like. I would smoke that horrible tasting shit followed by a hit or two of reg just to get the taste out of my mouth. Months later little stickers started appearing on the back of packaging's warning that the product did not contain jwh o8 or 12 etc.. that's when I stopped buying. Because that bag just didn't get u high at all. Was glad that I never had any of the dangerous formulas. But now I have icmag educating me to produce my own SAFE medicines. Thanks ic!

Betterhaff

Veteran
Paid 180.00 for dronabinol (marinol) as I was released from a rehab unit.
I didn’t even know where I was at.

It was just charged to the account. Sad

the droby was a script...lol

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I tried Delta-8-THC for the first time. It was a cheap little cartridge for a vape.
They say that it isn't as potent as Delta-9-THC, but I can't tell a difference by using the vape.
The best part is that I purchased it legally in Prohibitionland Virginia! I usually do not use vape cartridges, but I left home during a family emergency without my bud.
Stopped at a bong store and grabbed one. Being able to sneak a vape in the hospital without stinking up the whole wing is a sanity saver!