What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What The DEA Refuses To Admit About Drugs

Mia

Chart: What The DEA Refuses To Admit About Drugs

By Elizabeth Flock

June 21, 2012 RSS Feed Print
drugchart425x283.jpg
Total Harm Scores for Various Drugs, using data from the 2010 study: "Drug harms in the UK: a multi-criteria decision analysis."

A top Drug Enforcement Administration agent repeatedly refused to admit Wednesday that any drug—including crack, methamphetamine and heroin—was more harmful or addictive than marijuana.
Instead, administrator Michele Leonhart asserted that "all illegal drugs are bad."
Was she right to equate them?
Not according to the most recent and well-regarded study on the physical damage drugs can cause.
"Drug harms in the UK: a multi-criteria decision analysis", a 2010 study from the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs published in The Lancet (and reported on by multiple media outlets) is very clear about which drugs are most harmful.
The study placed heroin, crack and meth far above marijuana, both in terms of harm to self and harm to others. Cocaine and tobacco were also ranked as more harmful than marijuana. Alcohol was ranked most dangerous.
Yet here is Leonhart's exchange at the House Judiciary Subcommittee hearing Wednesday with Democratic Rep. Jared Polis, first reported by Raw Story:
POLIS: "Is crack worse for a person than marijuana?"
LEONHART: "I believe all illegal drugs are bad,"
POLIS: "Is methamphetamine worse for somebody's health than marijuana?...Is heroin worse for somebody's health than marijuana?"
LEONHART: "Again, all drugs."
POLIS: "Yes, no, or I don't know?... If you don't know this, you can look this up. As the chief administrator for the Drug Enforcement Agency, I'm asking a very straightforward question."
Watch the full exchange below:
http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/wa...o-admit-about-drugs?google_editors_picks=true

WelderDan

Veteran
The DEA would lose a major source of funding if Cannabis were legal. Of course they are going to lump cannabis in with Heroin.

The really sad thing is alcohol kills more people every year than all illegal drugs combined.

Then there is tobacco. Nicotine (yes, it is a drug) is deadly and has no medicinal value and should be on the schedule 1 drug list.

It's hypocrisy combined with several very powerful lobbies that keep Cannabis illegal.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
That's a Great Chart, Mia...

It's a Topsy-Turvy world, which is playing out just as George Orwell wrote.. Double Speak, in place of honesty.

Not budging on Cannabis until it can quash the competition for MMJ...?

Pitchforks and Torches are next. I hope.

F it, I am going out for pizza. Emigration sounds better every day. There's pizza all over the World.

Last edited:

Skip

Veteran
all illegal drugs are bad.
This is the big LIE. It's the propaganda goal of the whole war on drugs.

We made it illegal therefore it is bad. That isn't even logical. And every government funded study has agreed that the laws against marijuana do far more harm than the drug itself. And the impact upon millions of young people's lives who are arrested and now have criminal records, simply because they chose marijuana over other more addictive and dangerous substances like alcohol.

This is how corporate America rules us. We are no longer a democratic nation when elections are bought by the unlimited funding of corporations who decide that our laws should be solely for their profit.

Elections are a farce anyway cause nothing really changes. Same as it ever was...

Iraganji

If I were to post the deadly "side" effects of BigPharma (legal) drugs, there'd be a wall of text and none of it would be good.

Okay okay, just a couple.... ;)

irritable bowels and an inability to control them.
Various types of Cancer.
Suicidal thoughts and actions.

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
I can't even imagine what it must be like to be that much of an ass kisser. Fuck it..outlaw for life.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
how many people die from OC OD's a year?

I have had 5 friends die from that fucking awful drug, and now the manufacturer is making one 10 times stronger!!@!!!$#!@%$#WQ&^%$W

I hate to say it, but we are all fucked unless the people take the power back. Grow your own food, herb, collect rain water and filter it. Help your neighbors do the same, and just straight up help out where you can.

We actually still have some power left, we need to use that before it is too late. Take all your money out of the banks, default on your credit cards, live as local and off the grid as you can.

an example we can all use in our fight against The Man is South Africa. Talk about the 1%ers. The whites had the money and the guns to keep the natural citizens of SA under a cruel living situation. Peace was the only answer, and people set to the streets to promote it. I tell everyone I know, friends and family, hell even strangers some times, about the benefits of this herb. We need to remove the stigma that it is a drug. Drugs are bad mkay, but this is an herb, a very useful one.

There are literally MILLIONS of US here in the United States. We all have family and friends, so that takes our number that much higher. If we can all talk to our friends and family about the benefits of this plant, they can go on and tell those they know, and so on and so forth. Yes we have been doing this already, but do it again, and make sure the point is heard. This is just like woman's suffrage or slavery. This is something some old white men did because they were afraid, and they passed this fear down to their kids. Now this fear has become a corporation, and god knows what they are all about.

In all honesty, what they hope for happens every day, those who want it do nothing, or next to it. It is too easy to get into your own little bubble and think nothing will ever happen. Every revolution has to start with struggle and grief, otherwise there is no reason to fight.

Plutarque

Outlaw for life ? And what if there's no reason for being an outlaw?
What if you just can be yourself, isn't that more than enough ? This not including actors and people with a multiple personality disorder.
If outlaw stands for thief, well yeah if you're modern Robin Hood or stealing the one and only reality or truth like ones says. About cannabis the truth is that using cannabis is NOT dangerous ! Even about smoking cannabis(products),till now there's no proof of it. And believe me, if I had the worldwide budget from the last 100 years spent on cannabis research, well people wouldn't be hungry, thirsty or having cold for the next years. And if this included the ww budget of the war-on-drugs, well than like forever : - )) Just joking about forever, that’s not 100% for sure.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
LEONHART: "I believe all illegal drugs are bad,"

Actually, she is absolutely correct here. Unfortunately, they aren't necessarily "bad" as a result of the impact on your mind or body, but are "bad" because they have the potential to bring down the full weight of the DEA machine on you. Self-fulfilling prophecy of the nastiest kind.

cchem

how many people die from OC OD's a year?

I have had 5 friends die from that fucking awful drug, and now the manufacturer is making one 10 times stronger!!@!!!$#!@%$#WQ&^%$W

Prescription Drug Deaths in the US in 2010 total 82,724 (most OC related)

Tobacco related deaths in the US total 443,000 deaths per year, and an estimated 49,000 of these smoking-related deaths are the result of secondhand smoke exposure

Alcohol related deaths in the US is estimated to be at 75,000 per year

Skip

Veteran
Prescription Drug Deaths in the US in 2010 total 82,724 (most OC related)

Tobacco related deaths in the US total 443,000 deaths per year, and an estimated 49,000 of these smoking-related deaths are the result of secondhand smoke exposure

Alcohol related deaths in the US is estimated to be at 75,000 per year

Marijuana related deaths in the US is ZERO!

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Each rep only has so much time to ask questions. By giving long-winded non-answers, she just runs down their clock and they're left looking blustery and ineffective.

Personally, I think people who give answers like this should be held in contempt and fined or imprisoned for each evasive non-answer.

But of course, I'd have to get a bunch of evasive non-answerers to vote for it to even get it to pass.

And then i'd have to get an evasive non-answerer to sign it into law.

We're fucked.

Twigster

This is why United States is so fucked up!! The Government could careless about us little people "All about da $$"
-They don't want legalize drugs, so the fucking shareholders get their money

-Sorry, I don't know how to post the vid up in this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxNiNv97ZdM -skip the dumb ass ad at the first part

This shit has to stop!!

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
She works for Barry O'Bummer, BTW. So, She speaks for his administration.

She needs to chillout and smoke some Girl Sc*ut Cookies. Then eat some Chocolate Chip Cookies. Geez.

Latest posts

Latest posts