What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who, what, why: How can you spot a cannabis farm in your street?

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
The tips seem like common sense stuff we already know but it never hurts to remind the indoor grower what they are looking for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17896081

_59945762_montage_cannabis.jpg

Police say cannabis growers are moving away from commercial and industrial sites towards ordinary houses. But how can you spot a cannabis farm in your street?
Cannabis growing in the suburbs is soaring, with about 21 farms or factories being discovered every day, a new report by the Association of Chief Police Officers says.
The problem has persisted for a while, with insurer Aviva reporting a 30% year-on-year increase in cannabis damage claims last year as criminals turned to rented houses to cultivate plants.
Now the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) says most of the cannabis consumed in Britain is homegrown and is urging the public to keep an eye out for suspicious behaviour in their neighbourhood.
And householders might just want to know for their own sake too.

_59945766_cannabis_thinkstock.jpg

So how can you spot an illegal drug farm on your doorstep?
Unlike many criminal enterprises, there are telltale signs of cannabis cultivation, according to commander Allan Gibson, Acpo's lead officer on the subject.
The first thing to look out for is people setting up shop, he says.
"Most of the properties are rented accommodation, and when they move in, they'll bring a lot of equipment with them.
"It will be ventilation equipment and lighting equipment for irrigation, grow bags, soil - it should stand out as unusual, which is why criminals tend to try and move in when they will be unobserved," he says.
Gibson says the next thing cannabis growing gangs tend to do is adapt the premises - often by creating venting through floors or re-wiring - but this can easily go unnoticed as plenty of new tenants renovate properties.
Another thing cannabis growers' neighbours might notice is their absence - or their coming and going at odd hours.
"They won't be sociable neighbours, they will want to keep a low profile," says Gibson.
"So if cannabis growers live in permanently, they will barely be seen - and if they are maintaining more than one growth site, they will come and go in the early hours or at night," he says.

So far, so hard to detect, it seems. But Gibson says there are a couple of obvious indicators that should be easier to pick up on.
Cannabis's distinctive strong and sickly sweet smell is one of them.
The other is covered-up windows - often constantly pulled curtains or black-out blinds - so nobody can see into the premises and the right temperature is maintained.
Rick Stephens, from West Midlands Police's cannabis disposal team, agrees windows - usually blackened or "polythened" - are a common giveaway, but he says criminals are getting increasingly sophisticated about covering their tracks.
"In some cases a bay window is created, with a overnight light or TV set up, so the premises looks normal - but actually it is just screened off, with cannabis plants lined up behind," he says.
Cracking down on cannabis farms

_59946534_thermalimage2.jpg

Stephens says lighting - which can be spotted by hi-tech thermal imaging cameras which display the heat given off by the strong lights - can also alert suspicious neighbours.
"If we are talking about 500 plants, and work on the presumption that there can be six plants for a set of lights, that's 80 or 90 lights or transformers that are needed.
"Initially growers tend to use 12 hours of light, and 12 hours of darkness - but they tend to use the light at night, so that can be spotted because it's a time that most people are asleep.
"At one house in Wolverhampton, neighbours saw bright lights coming out from a vent under floorboards, under which cannabis was being grown," he says.
Concerned neighbours can also look out for condensation on windows, or unusual levels of heat coming from a property as a result of lights, according to Bryan Dent, a drugs co-ordinator at West Yorkshire Police.
"It's going to be about 60 or 70C in there - that will manifest itself in heavy condensation," he says.
Dent says criminals also often tend to bypass electricity meters, or break into the main meter, to fund the huge wattage used up by the lamps and the fans.
"This might manifest itself in strange electric cables, or digging underground to join into street furniture supplies, such as a lamp post," he says.
For those who think they are on to cannabis-growing gangs, Gibson says there is one other key tell-tale sign - the criminals do not appear to be environmentally friendly either.
"Growing material like compost and soil is often contained in plastic bags, so we often see them dumped by rubbish bins," he says.

Last edited:
hahahaha well if these are the guys lookin....they'll NEVER find me hahahahahaha...( I Hide My condesation well! haha) too stealth and unda the radar...get greedy, get big, get caught....

farmdalefurr

I feel nothing and it feels great
Veteran
it makes me happy to know that police are still that ignorant to our hobby

there were alot of laughs throughout that article

someotherguy

Veteran
thanks for the read Major, as laughable as the author makes it sound, it's always good to be reminded that there is a whole class of people out there who would like nothing better than to lock us all up, ...that is no joke.

...every article like this i read helps me learn how not to be stupid.

peace, and stay safe, SOG

rockylampoon

In defence of the article, it's probably written with professional grows in mind, where criminal organisations rent a house and turns the whole lot into a grow op, leaving some sad vietnamese guy to live in a closet and tend to the garden. So it's an entirely different game.

Then again, statements as there being 60-70c (140-160f) is obviously false as neither the grower or the plants would survive that heat for very long.

TLoft13

Then again, statements as there being 60-70c (140-160f) is obviously false as neither the grower or the plants would survive that heat for very long.

They are vietnamese, man. They are bred to survive in underground tunnels and high heat/humidity environments. Why do you think they are used as grow-tenders so much? :biggrin:

Cappy

As far as small scale growers are concerned, I've been able to identify, by nose, at least one grower in every neighborhood I've lived in, four, in the last 12 years. This is good for me, because I know my attitudes about emissions and stealth will keep me safe by themselves, but the people growing without smell control provide a whole 'nother layer of protection to my grow by purposfully exposing themselves.

Latest posts

Latest posts