What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Richard Lee's Exclusive Interview After Raid

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good morning ICers--I found this today. I thought this statement really captures how the Pres is at ods with the American Peeps this fall. If his admin is doing all these raids without his comnsent then he'd better think about changing that. Peace.. DD

"voters may be skeptical of any statements out of the incumbent in the course of the coming election"

Richard Lee's Exclusive Interview After Raid<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
from the Huffington post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/18/obama-war-on-weed-richard-lee-oaksterdam-raid_n_1427435.html?ref=politics&ir=Politics

WASHINGTON -- When federal agents raided Oaksterdam University, Richard Lee's downtown Oakland, Calif.-based trade school, earlier this month, it wasn't simply a crackdown on a local pot business, it was one of the highest-profile moves in the Obama administration's nationwide assault on medical marijuana.
DEA and IRS agents hauled away computers, files and pot plants, leaving behind little more than office furniture. They did not disclose the reason for the raid and have not charged Lee with any crime as of yet. In an exclusive interview with The Huffington Post, his first since the raid, Lee, 49, blasted the federal crackdown as a senseless act of intimidation. "This is one battle of a big war," said Lee, "and there's thousands of battles going on all over."
"Before he was elected, [President Barack Obama] promised to support medical marijuana and not waste federal resources on this," Lee said. "About a year and a half ago, the policy seemed to change. They've been attacking many states, threatening governors of states to prevent them from signing legislation to allow medical marijuana. They've been attacking on many fronts."
Lee was a vocal advocate behind California's Proposition 19, a 2010 ballot question that sought to legalize marijuana. He put more than a million dollars behind the effort, which was opposed by the Obama administration and ultimately went down to defeat.
Medical marijuana is currently legal in California and 15 other states, plus the District of Columbia, and during his campaign for president, Obama vowed to stop the raids on medical marijuana users that were prevalent under George W. Bush, saying raiding patients who use marijuana for medicinal purposes "makes no sense."
It was in that political climate, in the fall of 2007 that Oaksterdam was founded by Lee, who started using medical marijuana for pain control more than 20 years ago, after a work accident left him paralyzed from the waist down. Often referred to as "the Princeton of pot," the school has offered classes to would-be medical cannabis caregivers and patients in subjects ranging from horticulture to business to the finer points of running a dispensary.
About 15,000 students have graduated from Oaksterdam to date, according to Dale Sky Jones, the school's executive director. On October 15, 2010, however, Attorney General Eric Holder announced that federal authorities would continue to prosecute individuals for marijuana possession, even in states that have legalized it. That "threw a wet blanket" on enrollment at Oaksterdam, Jones said.

Then, last June, the Justice Department went even further. Deputy Attorney General James Cole argued in a memo that "caregiver" protections applied only to "individuals providing care to individuals with cancer or other serious illnesses, not commercial operations cultivating, selling or distributing marijuana." That meant pot shops, even those operating legally under state law, were vulnerable again.
Since then, the administration has unleashed an interagency cannabis crackdown that goes beyond anything seen under the Bush administration, with more than 100 raids, primarily on California pot dispensaries, many of them operating in full compliance with state laws. Since October 2009, the Justice Department has conducted more than 170 aggressive SWAT-style raids in 9 medical marijuana states, resulting in at least 61 federal indictments, according to data compiled by Americans for Safe Access, an advocacy group. Federal authorities have also seized property from landlords who rent space to growers, threatening them with prosecution, and authorities have even considered taking action against newspapers selling ad space to dispensaries.
"There's no question that Obama is the worst president on medical marijuana," Rob Kampia, executive director of the Marijuana Policy Project, told Rolling Stone in February.
The IRS has joined in the attack, invoking an arcane tax code provision originally intended to stymie druglords. That law, known as IRS Code Section 280E, is an uncontroversial measure aimed at preventing criminals from deducting the costs of their illicit activities from their taxable income. But the IRS has interpreted it to apply to medical marijuana dispensaries in such a way that they can no longer deduct the cost of salaries, rent, inventory and other operating expenses. Few brick-and-mortar businesses are able to survive under those terms, as taxes end up being substantially larger than profits.
Lee told HuffPost he thinks the tax issue is where the school may have run into trouble with the authorities.
"It may have something to do with the 280E taxes we've been forced to pay," he said. "It was impossible to pay them on top of the other taxes we're forced to pay: $60,000 to the City of Oakland for the permit fee, $130,000 for the Oakland Business Tax, 10 percent state sales tax, state income tax, federal income tax, unemployment insurance, workman's comp insurance, health insurance."
"Our income tax more than doubled because payroll, rent and other tax deductions were disallowed," he added. "On top of this, the federal government has been closing our bank accounts, making it more difficult for us to operate as a normal business and pay our taxes."
Jones said she's almost surprised the raid didn't come sooner. "There's just no way we can afford the building as it is," she said. "We always half expected it."
The IRS used the same provision in late 2011 to pursue Oakland's Harborside Health Center, one of the largest and most respected dispensaries in the state, demanding $2.4 million in taxes, a full $2 million more than the 83,000-member dispensary actually paid for the year. "Federal prosecutors are not trying to clean up the regulated medical cannabis industry, they are trying to destroy it," said Harborside President Steve DeAngelo at a press conference in San Francisco in October.
"This is not just an attempt to tax us," he explained earlier this year. "It's an attempt to tax us out of existence."
Harborside has filed a petition in tax court to protest the IRS' assessment, which Harborside has characterized as "a dagger pointed at the heart of medical cannabis."
U.S. attorneys have repeatedly claimed that the decision to crack down on medical pot establishments was their own decision and not the result of any directive from Washington.
"The actions taken by U.S. attorneys are solely in response to concerns expressed in their communities and by law enforcement about the proliferation of large-scale grow facilities and distributors that clearly fall outside of the definition of individual caregiver," Justice Department spokesperson Laura Sweeney said.
Deputy attorney Cole has argued that the memo speaks for itself and has refused to say whether the crackdown in California represents a shift in federal policy that could lead to raids in other states.
It wasn't the policy that shifted, according to Sweeney, but rather "the landscape has evolved," she said, citing "industrial-scale marijuana operations planned in several states."
With the apparent disconnect between Obama's 2007 campaign promises and the actions of his administration over the last four years, voters may be skeptical of any statements out of the incumbent in the course of the coming election. The issue itself has growing and wide-spread support among the electorate. Gallup has found that a full 70 percent of Americans favor the legalization of prescription marijuana to reduce pain and suffering. In Colorado, a key swing state, two-thirds of voters favor legalizing medical marijuana.
If Lee is charged, Jones says she hopes his case goes before a jury. "If they bring a fight, Richard is prepared to take it all the way," she said. "They can come after the guy in the wheelchair, and he'll stand up for his rights and the rights of the rest of us."
"It makes me irate that this is how we're spending our resources right now," she said of the federal raids. "And to watch them try to take down a school that's teaching everyone how to do it right, it just puts the exclamation point on it."
Oaksterdam, which will cease operations at its current location at the end of the month, "will have to start from scratch," said Jones, who is looking for a smaller, more affordable home.
Lee, for his part, is largely stepping away from Oaksterdam and is planning to focus his efforts on campaigns in Colorado and Washington state, where legalization initiatives are on the ballot this year.
As for the administration's murky position on drug legalization, Lee takes a dim view. "They can't have their cake and eat it, too," he said. "They can't keep it illegal and tax it. No more taxation without legalization."

Last edited:

Nonphixion

Good point at the end of that article, where Lee says: "They can't have their cake and eat it, too," he said. "They can't keep it illegal and tax it. No more taxation without legalization."

I sort of see why the federal government would want to keep it illegal at the moment, while still taxing it. Keeping it illegal drives prices higher and thus taxpayers would have more money associated with their operation to pay to the gov't. Very despicable.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Thanks Dobbie I really believe the only way this will work in the end is to take them to court once and for all .. I just can't see how they could win.. I still don't want the Gov's hands in cannabis that will never change but I think they need to be taken to court .. I think they have been playing the ppl for long enough with the law now I think it's time the law played back. As far as Richard wow who can blame the guy for having enough of this .. I hope he starts to fight them again which ever way feels good for him and win's and makes them pay for this crap,,,headband 707

medical marijuana will always get in the way of full legalization. i think jack herer said something like that. if you are for legalization then mmj is not the avenue to get it through. you will end up like this guy and everyone else riding the wave until they come thru and shut you down.
and if you were in charge of the country, why would you not wanna let people distract themselves with mmj cuz u can just tax people until you raid them and their dumb ass sets up shop again for you to run the same scheme on them. and its free publicity for the dea as well.. its like a fix in the game.

Murp

Jack Herer was correct. Its a matter of civil rights. Protecting the fact that from each man's skin inwards, is HIS JURISDICTION, and never any governments.

The path to legalization has only proven to be tainted by mmj. Prohibition is the problem, and being deprived of basic civil rights. Not a mental, or physical health issue, which is the focal point of the medical movement.

I greatly stand behind what Jack had to say about MMJ before his passing. His words truly live on, and have proven to be fully true.

Agaricus

I keep wondering why Obama did such a turnaround on mmj. For that matter, why pot's demonized more than any other drug. Just watch 'most any story about the drug war and there are bales and buds, but no needles or crack pipes or watever.

It almost has to be whoever really runs the governments of the world (I have my tinfoil-hat theories on that) dictating policy toward their own ends. What those ends are I can't imagine but it does seem that the higher anyone gets in government or the media the more they're required to support their bosses' commands.

Green Supreme

Veteran
Thanks for sharing man. I saw him do an interview in the past, where he said they could bust him and he would just come back. Sad to see him stomped into submission. Peace GS

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I keep wondering why ... For that matter, why pot's demonized more than any other drug. Just watch 'most any story about the drug war and there are bales and buds, but no needles or crack pipes or watever.

It is tribal identity. This goes back to the sixties, Nixon's southern strategy, and even earlier. Real Americans ( The Silent Majority) don't smoke pot. If we want medical cannabis to succeed we need spokespeople who look and talk like members of the other tribe.

ExcelAtIt

If we want medical cannabis to succeed we need spokespeople who look and talk like members of the other tribe.

well said crusader. sometimes I wonder how many great potential mmj leaders have passed up the opportunity, just to prevent themselves from being the whipping boy.

Last edited:

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
I think everyone who steps up to the plate gets taken down by the feds as soon as the feds can.. Look at Marc Emery he is now in a US Jail ffs they actually came to Canada and took him to the US. Then there is Eddy Lepp ,Rick Simpson and now Richard Lee anyone who tries anything gets taken down by the US and the Feds it's pretty bad... What I don't understand is all this evidence about it curing CANCER and all these people are being treated like criminals ,we all are ,how is that? Where are the REAL LAWYER'S that are supposed to be fighting this on the right side of the law?? If this is not corrupt I really don't know what is.. headband 707

I agree as long as you have people stuttering and talking like stoners on behalf of the movement, we will never get any respect. If you say, had 100,000 US citizens standing on the white house steps demanding correction of laws to reflect WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT or new leadership capable of enforcing those viewpoints we'd get somewhere. I think the time for telling your congressman is over. I do not support a president who time and again tramples on the constitution of the United States, he should be impeached. I think at this point everyone needs to speak up before its too late. Essentially it sounds like they kicked in Mr. Lee's front door stole his property and left. No charges? Then what in the hell were the grounds for the search and seizure? No Warrant? And if a warrant was obtained the last I checked warrants were issued when evidence to support bringing charges against and individual(s) is suspected of existance and needed for a fair trial. Talk is cheap and action says volumes more. I encourage everyone in this community to start speaking out. Take action against the corruption that eats at the very core of our once great nation. I think its rather ironic as well that the department of defense released a report on osama bin ladens death...in 2006...from kidney failure. Then all of seal team 6 dies mysteriously? Are you kidding me? This is public information and is readily accessable on the respective departments website. Please, everyone, this is the worst case scenario for our country and reaches far more rights than just MMJ. The only possible solution is a complete overhaul of our executive, legislative, and judicial branches. We the people have the power still to change this. Expect to see a petition very soon to correct this...travesty that has landed at our feet. I encourage everyone to do what ever you can to speak out before its our children who start to suffer at the hands of evil men. Apologies for the novel.

I hear you Crusader.. Canada has that same complex.
I can't stand how I have anger for the "silent majority" just because of my personal experience with them. Although it seems they couldn't care less about me or a cancer patient for that matter, unless they agree with absolutely everything they believe in (which realistically only happens in cults).
I think my generation is going to grow up and take charge though, the aggressive anti-pot kids don't get far nowadays, they are a dying breed. I find people who don't share my views are much less worked up about the topic the closer they are to my age.
It's just going to take a long time to happy naturally, as the population itself changes, not forcefully against the biggest gang in the world.
I think young people feel cannabis is natural where as the older generation tries to make it seem like a designer drug (if they disagree of course).

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have to speak up...I met Richard a long time ago right when he started the university in Oakland, very nice inteligent guy...( yep here comes the but)...but he had a bit of an ego and my partner ( at that time) and I implored him to keep a very low profile but he sat for anyone who wanted to interview him or take his picture.....he kinda put himself out their in a HUGE way....he has to take some responsibility for what occurred.

Flame away but this is what my experience with Richard was.

It is tribal identity. This goes back to the sixties, Nixon's southern strategy, and even earlier. Real Americans ( The Silent Majority) don't smoke pot. If we want medical cannabis to succeed we need spokespeople who look and talk like members of the other tribe.
You`ve got one. His name is Ron Paul. He is a strong Christian, doesn`t do ANY drugs and doesn`t care if you do. Unfortunately, a lot on this site don`t like him because he a republican (true definition of republican) and thinks people should be responsible for themselves... Just give the man a listen and you will be set free... Individual rights FTW! Those of you in N. Cali with an open mind can hear the man speak next Thursday May 3rd at 7:00pm at UC Davis. That`s right I said UC Davis. A republican speaking at one of the most liberal campuses in the country. Just like UC Berkely last month, it will be packed with liberty minded folks of ALL races, religions and genders. You will not hear about it from the MSM. Come see for yourself!

Agaricus

Really, Dr. Paul isn't a Republican but a Libertarian. Kind of like what republicans used to be. He joined the republican party so he could make his case without being automatically branded as a crazy.

Really, Dr. Paul isn't a Republican but a Libertarian. Kind of like what republicans used to be. He joined the republican party so he could make his case without being automatically branded as a crazy.
RP has always been a TRUE republican. He joined the libertarian party briefly to run for pres in 1988 because he was frustrated with the out of controll spending of the Reagan era. Libertarians are not pro-life like the good doctor. His personal beliefs are pro-life but understands that abortion should be a state issue, not federally allowed. If each state votes to allow abortion in that state, then so be it. Todays repubs aren`t real republicans, they are statist just like the dems with a different agenda...

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
.... His name is Ron Paul. ....

Really, Dr. Paul isn't a Republican but a Libertarian. Kind of like what republicans used to be......

RP has always been a TRUE republican. ...

BushDoc and Agaricus..you boys ever read our forum guidelines: 14. Politics/Religion: Threads or posts pertaining to political and religious discussions, by their very sensitive nature, can incite or flame others due to the wide and varying personal beliefs that naturally exist in a global community and will be deleted.

Don't start spamming your favorite cannidate and divert the topic of this post or I'll ban you both! Thanks DD

Last edited:

OLDproLg

Veteran
You d'man DOOB!

Sad to read,but i hope he starts up some place new maybe!!
i really had hopes for oaksterdam shit...
he who has the biggest GUN wins...
Still i cant believe all the people that smoke are not yet protesting?