What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Possible IED Thrown Into Marijuana Collective

Endur

Veteran
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — On the eve of the nation's biggest marijuana holiday, an unknown person threw a “improvised explosive device” into one of three medical marijuana collectives in South Lake Tahoe.

About 10:15 p.m. Thursday, South Lake Tahoe police, South Lake Tahoe firefighters and the Douglas County Bomb Squad responded to a report of a possible improvised explosive device being thrown into Patient to Patient Collective, according to a Friday statement from the city.

“The investigation revealed an improvised explosive device was thrown into the business through a window, causing minor property damage,” according to the statement. “The device caused a small fire and it's unclear if it functioned as intended. The business was closed to the public at the time the device was discovered, however, there were two employees working inside. Neither of the employees was injured in the incident.”

Erika Triglia, manager at the dispensary, said the device was a PVC pipe containing sulfur and a fuse. The suspect targeted the room where the collective typically keeps maturing marijuana plants, Triglia said. The incident was an attempt to kill the plants by clouding the room with excessive amounts of sulfur, Triglia said.

The plants were not in the room at the time of the incident due to spring cleaning at the dispensary, but the incident could have cost the collective a lot of money, Triglia said.

“The person made a big smoky mess, but that's all they did,” Triglia said. She said she has some idea as to who may have been involved in the incident, but said she would save that information for police.

According to Friday's statement, the Douglas County Bomb Squad removed the device from the building, rendered it safe and booked it into evidence for processing.

Triglia said the device was removed by her husband, Matt Triglia, who operates the collective. She questioned the need for the bomb squad's robot, as well as police overtime in the response to the incident.

The collective was open for business as usual Friday.

April 20 has historically been an unofficial holiday when marijuana users, both recreational and medicinal, celebrate cannabis.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20120420/NEWS/120429995/1068&ParentProfile=1056

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Believe it or not, there are people anywhere that truly hate the idea of a dispensary in their neighborhood...

PhenotypeX

Triglia said the device was removed by her husband, Matt Triglia, who operates the collective. She questioned the need for the bomb squad's robot, as well as police overtime in the response to the incident.

Yea they were probably all hanging out in the collective being nosey searching everything. Fucking pigs.

MIway

Veteran
Could have been a pissed off employee or ex-partner too... Certainly do hear of that scenario quite a bit, tho first bomb I'v heard of. Who knows what they are doin behind closed doors, or the type of people involved. Not like org crime aren't players too... Not to speak about these folks in specific... Just brainstormin some ideas.

Cool Moe

Veteran
sounds more like someone with a working knowledge of the building, most likely an embittered ex-employee

S

SeaMaiden

Or a competitor. We just drove by this collective weekend before last when we went up to Sorensen's for our anniversary. We also usually like to have sushi at Sato and I noticed there was a new collective--Patient 2 Patient (I believe they also have a storefront in Sact'o somewhere).

Anyway, it's right there on the main boulevard, big glass front windows, you don't need a working knowledge of the store to throw something through the window.

señorsloth

Veteran
they used a bomb robot and paid law enforcement overtime? despite the fact that the harmless smoke bomb already went off and was removed from the building by the owner of the collective!

lol i love how wasteful our government is, from NASA to LEO to the DMV...they can't do a single thing without swamping it in bureaucracy, skimming some off the top, then half assing the final product...it's hilarious that state and fedral employees make more than double what somebody in the private sector would be making to do the same job plus top of the line benefits. the only difference is in the private sector they would be making a profit not hemorrhaging money, and their employees would actually have to work hard and be polite...complaining about how you are treated by the dmv, police, or school principle is as useless as complaining to trees about how blue the sky is...

bChiefing

Believe it or not, there are people anywhere that truly hate the idea of a dispensary in their neighborhood...

agreed! :ying: gotta have balance in the world, for every cool stoner we've got on here theres got to be at least a handful haters. Haters gonna hate :biggrin:

S

SeaMaiden

A little birdy suggested that it was a vendor who wasn't paid. Just a suggestion, and from a bird no less. But it sure makes sense, doesn't it?

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
A little birdy suggested that it was a vendor who wasn't paid. Just a suggestion, and from a bird no less. But it sure makes sense, doesn't it?
If that is the case, then they brought it on themselves.
Not that I'm saying blowing shit up is the way to go about things, but if they are going to try to bend people over, then they must expect to encounter somebody who is less accepting of being bent over at some point. I can see the guys logic--mess with my living and I'll mess with yours.

S

SeaMaiden

Indeed, and when you think about it, it makes a lot more sense than any of the other reasons being tossed around here. It's just all too common for dispensaries to expect vendors to front product, and I know too many people who've been straight up ripped off, never being paid for product.

Considering the political climate, how many are going to seek redress legally, in court?

Birds have lasted a loooong time on this earth.