What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

can thrips cause plants to yellow out and fade

Hoss_Beardman

I am having an issue in the 3-4 weeks of flower that is causing the plants to look deficient and pale to lime green then to yellowishwhite by 60 days. There is noticeable thrips and light thrip damage on the lowers. This is the second flower cycle this has occurred in. The nutrient was different on each cycle.

temp 71-75F humidity 50-55% steady on both
650watts hps
happy frog
3 gal pot draining well
3-4 days between watering 4 days shows drooping leaves
light is 12-18" above canopy
nectar for the gods this cycle gen hydro last cycle
tap water resting for 3-4 days
6.3-6.8 on ph
lady bugs
room is exhausted well but maybe its lacking air movement
they have had a few rounds of neem in veg
grown from cuttings

I appreciate any input, I've never had this issue before I don't know what is happening.

buzzmobile

Veteran
I'm not sure what is causing the yellowing leaves, but I can tell you it is not being caused by thrips.

The plants under the screen look good.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Thrips feed by rasping the leaf surface and sucking up the sap that oozes out. That's why the damage resembles a residue. I thought my thrips were hard water spots for a couple cycles before I ever saw one using a scope.

At 3-4 weeks flowering, it could just be the plant transitioning to flowering. Especially if it is only one or two. The rest of the leaves in the picture look nice and green. How about a whole plant pic?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Well, you are using tap water, so it's not likely calcium or magnesium deficiency. If you have it on hand, add 1/4 tsp epsom salts per gallon of water.

3-4 days for a 3-gallon pot may be a bit long. You could try watering them less, more often. Are you feeding with every watering?

All your parameters seem within acceptable ranges maybe a tad high on the pH, you can try bringing it down to 6.0-6.5.

You made no mention of EC or PPM could just be hungry at this point. Are you using a feeding chart from the company?

Hoss_Beardman

Thank you all for your help btw i'm awful at forum posting because I do not do it often.

I am following the recommended feeding chart the Greek regimen. I added more calcium because I read that these nutes piggy back on calcium during delivery?

I agree they do look hungry but I cannot determine if it is lack of nutrient or nute lock out in the roots or what. I will be testing ppm later today and posting more pictures of the issue.

again thank you for your help

Hoss_Beardman

Resting water is 200ppm and post Greek regimine is 735ppm

I increased the feeding to every 2 days
I think the fading may have stopped.

F

Freedom45

Hi

Try aspirin at 1 tablet per 5ltr water

300mg tablets

I had similar problems to you after 10 years success in a warehouse and then it hit. Same thing, only expresses in day 28 - 35 of Flower and results in a crap crop with great smell but zero yield.

After a lot of trial and error I figured it’s a virus, and surprisingly one that’s easily eliminated with aspirin. I must say tho my first plant showed symptoms in February and I’m only just rid of this virus so it takes time to get rid. I treat all plants including clones, changed 240*120 veg tent and bleached the crap out of my rooms. It still happened. Aspirin, triacontanol and b vitamins will ensure the virus is eliminated from the room, you need to hit it hard tho or it will wipe you out

Latest posts

Latest posts