What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor security

therevverend

Veteran
My money's on deer. I'm assuming the plant was still in vegetative growth. A fox or raccoon isn't out of the question if the plant is a thin 6 feet without a lot of branches or bushiness.
One year I thought I'd be clever, bury a fish head under my tomato plants. Next day same thing. The soil was barely disturbed, plants were gone. Fish head was gone. Some varmint had dug it all up, took the plants and the fish, then replaced the soil.
I don't like trail cams because what do you get, pretty pictures of assholes stealing your plants? I want to be notified. There's motion sensor alarms, cameras that send an alert to your cell phone.
I'd never set up a trap that would cause bodily harm. Yesterday I saw a cute little calico kitty with a collar in my patch, probably sniffing around for rats or somewhere to take a dump. I don't object to free fertilizer or dead rats. Got to be the neighbor cat, they're not going to be happy if their cat turns up crippled or missing especially if they've figured out what I'm up to.
One year my buddy was out watching my plants at night. He was woken up by a noise under the apple tree. Got spooked and threw rotten apples at whatever made the sound. Next day a dead opossum turned up in the road. Of course it'd been eating the rotten apples..

CrushnYuba

I had a big problem with turkeys one year. They kept digging in my soil to nest down in the cool moist ness, and to eat the worms.
I got battery powered motion activated sprinklers off eBay for like 25$ . You need to have pressurized water. Solar powered pressurized water is easy to have. 3 gallons a minute at 45 psi is enough to run a couple sprinklers or drip system for watering your plants.
45$ shurflo 12v rv pump.
25$ 20w solar panel.
10$ charge controller
You could use a 50$ Wal-Mart car battery if its just running the sprinkler to scare away animals. If you want to run the water for like an hour, you Will need 2 6v golf cart batteries at 80$ ish a piece.

Update:

I set up trail cams, had my dogs take some shits, dropped some kitty litter. I've been good. Nothing disturbed...

FYI, there was no stump. I dug down.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

hang a bunch of fishhooks on just one plant, you be careful, they'll get caught, use tough kevlar line and they'd better have a really good razor sharp knife to cut it... or they won't; instead they'll struggle and try to grip the plant w/their other hand... snagged again!

they'll be dragging that shit to their car screaming/crying etc.......

show no mercy, a camera is an after the fact device.

igrowone

Veteran
Update:

I set up trail cams, had my dogs take some shits, dropped some kitty litter. I've been good. Nothing disturbed...

FYI, there was no stump. I dug down.

good detective work, did sound like a human ripper
live and learn, outdoor is a tough game for sure

caliprop215

Veteran
Motion sensor lights

Trip wire alarms. They even make trip wires u put a .22 cal blank and when wire is tripped it sounds like u are shooting at them... Or it will wake u up.

Setup some stakes around garden with a circle on top then run fishing line thru each circle to the trip alarm or trip blank shooter....
Sorry this happened

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Trip wire alarms. They even make trip wires u put a .22 cal blank and when wire is tripped it sounds like u are shooting at them... Or it will wake u up.

Setup some stakes around garden with a circle on top then run fishing line thru each circle to the trip alarm or trip blank shooter....
Sorry this happened

Just the right amount of Wyle E. Coyote! Great!

Maybe some rat traps with old sawzall blades painted black. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Scraps from trellis netting can be used to cause major grief for unwanted night time visitors. :biggrin:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran

yardgrazer

I've been thinking about setting a tent up in the yard, make it seem possible there's somebody in there. Another month or so and I should be in the clear, until then, a bit on edge.

'Boogieman'

I have been looking online myself for a 20' x 50' and 10' high cage like you would find in a zoo for bears and I'm I'm suprised I can't find anything like it on the market.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I heard a story from somebody trustable about about a local grower who last year lost a $50k grow just a week before harvest .