What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed Won't Germinate... Squeeze Shell Until It Cracks??

brown_thumb

On relatively rare occasions, I have seeds that never break though their shells. I pop seeds between very damp (not dripping wet) paper towels. Most pop within two days and others take up to four days. If seeds don't germinate after seven days I throw them away.

The above stated, I've never had a seed fail to germinate except for a few only from only one very popular breeder. I won't mention the name of the breeder. Their seeds tend to be smaller than most others but this might be because of the strains I've bought.

This time, one seed of five failed to break through its shell after four days. So, since it's a loss anyway, I decided to squeeze the shell until I heard it crack.

QUESTION: Has anyone else done this? Did it save any "stubborn" seeds? Did they grow to be healthy productive plants?

Betterhaff

Veteran
I’ve cracked seeds before with limited success. It’s not the easiest thing to do without damaging the insides.

I usually take seeds that don’t pop and plant them in a pot that has something else growing. Sometimes they come up, sometimes not. I figure may as well give them another chance. If they come up, I wait a bit and than transplant.

N

noyd666

reverse a small piece of emory cloth , tape a bit of cardboard in bottom, put in seeds n do the shake shake, works.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I think I read on a thread some dude would crack 'em between his teeth. Which kind of makes sense, because you could be gentler with your teeth than a pair of pliers or similar tool.

igrowone

Veteran
one seed in particular i do remember
a jock horror that i really wanted at the time
9 days or so in between towels, wouldn't pop
so i used a needle(maybe) or something sharp to just pop the outer shell
and it worked, slowly the tap root appeared
slow starter and a lot of work
the result? a male - sometimes you're not meant to win

mack 10

Veteran
isn't there an enzyme that eats through the shell, cant remember the name of it.
can be good for very old seeds.
maybe try worm bin?

Spaventa

Veteran
isn't there an enzyme that eats through the shell, cant remember the name of it.
can be good for very old seeds.
maybe try worm bin?

get that green scotchbrite pad, rub the shiny new seeds till they are dull. Seems to weaken the shell and improve permeability. All without exerting mechanical forces on the embryo inside.

brown_thumb

Maybe I shouldn't have thrown away the few seeds that didn't pop in the past. The next time I have a problem I'll try some of these techniques.

The good news is this stubborn seed seems to have popped about ten hours after I mechanically cracked its shell. But it seems to have two tiny tails. I'll leave it in the damp towels for another twenty-four hours, mostly because I'm curious about the twin tails and want to see what they look like when they're larger. If it's interesting then I'll post a photo.

Do single seeds ever make twins??

Spaventa

Veteran
Maybe I shouldn't have thrown away the few seeds that didn't pop in the past. The next time I have a problem I'll try some of these techniques.

The good news is this stubborn seed seems to have popped about ten hours after I mechanically cracked its shell. But it seems to have two tiny tails. I'll leave it in the damp towels for another twenty-four hours, mostly because I'm curious about the twin tails and want to see what they look like when they're larger. If it's interesting then I'll post a photo.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=275174

yes they do :)

Jhhnn

Veteran

Yes they do!

Jhhnn

Veteran
get that green scotchbrite pad, rub the shiny new seeds till they are dull. Seems to weaken the shell and improve permeability. All without exerting mechanical forces on the embryo inside.

I like that idea. I've also used a small needle file (1/8" square) to scuff the keel of seeds near the point to weaken the seam.... it works easier than an emery board because it slides between the fingers better.

I also use the paper towel folded in a ziplok method to germinate. If the root digs into the material I just cut out around it & plant that too. I try to get the sprouts into dirt before that happens but it doesn't always work that way.

DJXX

Veteran

Hey buddy, on a paper towel take a pair of hemostats, and squeeze on the top end and bottom point, barely squeeze and you will feel it give, you will see one side of the seed actually cracks, after the third one you will be an expert, i usually get a few to throw out a taproot...better than tossing them...if the embryo doesnt have enough power to crack the seam, you gotta let em out..hope this helps..DJXX

brown_thumb

Everyone, thanks for all the info and help.

What my weak eyes saw as two tiny tails was two cracks in the outer shell. No tail is protruding yet.

The next time I have stubborn seeds I'll definitely try some of the techniques described in this thread.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Everyone, thanks for all the info and help.

What my weak eyes saw as two tiny tails was two cracks in the outer shell. No tail is protruding yet.

The next time I have stubborn seeds I'll definitely try some of the techniques described in this thread.

I think the smartest answer is to prep the seeds before even trying to germinate them. I confess that I don't always do that.

al70

Veteran
i found that sometimes i have to help a seedling out of it's shell, they are slower, mayby weaker, and they were always behind the rest,, genes,,

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
i found that sometimes i have to help a seedling out of it's shell, they are slower, mayby weaker, and they were always behind the rest,, genes,,

I kind of agree. Thinning the herd. How good could that plant have been if it couldn't even bust out of its own shell?

Anybody ever saved a big winner by cracking open its shell?

Spaventa

Veteran
I kind of agree. Thinning the herd. How good could that plant have been if it couldn't even bust out of its own shell?

Anybody ever saved a big winner by cracking open its shell?

Its inability to germinate on its own doesn't mean it can't have a grail terpene profile in there. To me, in selecting plants to keep, vigour is a long way down the list of priorities. If a plant I love the smell and taste of has a great balanced happy high, few leaves, finishes in 6 weeks and yield 3g/w, thats all gravy.

Latest posts

Latest posts