What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any other turkey hunters on here?

belleswell

cxtQycxh.jpg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
RIP- Thomas Turkey AKA "ol' Gobbler" went to meet his maker on May 1st at approximately 10 AM. Death was by high-speed application of number 6 birdshot from -very- close range. interment is to be by frying in butter, and the ceremony will be limited to the killer & family. no family rites that we are aware of will take place, as his brothers have already assumed his place in the gene pool.:)

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
There are turkeys on my property sometimes. As cheap as butterballs are, I could never see hunting and plucking a wild turkey.

I now only have a doe, 2 baby deer, and a teenager in my woods now, I see them every evening I am back there moving the field. Used to have some pretty good size bucks and more does, but... Swamp across the street got bot by city folks a few year ago, who let their buds come out and kill everything that walks. I think including my last female dawg. Herd is down to those 4 deer now. Coyotes don't help either.

I love vennison jerky. There are enough guys around here that hunt that the processor has plenty. Some he makes himself and sells, sometimes I get rear leg quarters and make my own.

Kinda funny story. A veteran friend was allowed to hunt a guy's private farm in TN a couple years ago. he is in a stand, spots a good enuf buck deer, lays a bead and fired. After the recoil he recovers, chambers, and looks to see a buck still standing there in the general location, so he shot again. What he didn't know was there were TWO bucks there, and he killed them both. Land owner was pissed.

You are not supposed to have two male deer. He cut off the head with his hunting knife, and the balls. Dropped a couple rear quarters off with me, and I went to work.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
turkalurk season opens here April 3rd. i have to work that weekend...maybe. i have an option to take a voluntary lay-off for a while. said while would cover first 2 weeks of season...hmmmm...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
been trying to bag a gobbler with a bow for...too damn long. got over a dozen misses to my credit. hell of a lot of air around a turkey for an arrow to fly around in, lol...killed a big bird last spring at 5 paces. wish i'd had my bow THAT morning.

belleswell

Fascination
OEEHl06h.jpg
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

The muskrat is not the first thing one notices when viewing this pic,
5k5STwJh.jpg

Or the squirrel
uzvapChh.jpg

hd845FCh.jpg

G3Q4alTh.jpg

aECztR3h.jpg

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Do the wild one's taste the same as domestic? I would think they taste different?

much more flavor. breast meat superior to tame birds. the legs/thighs...well, you have to remember that a wild bird walks further every day than a tame bird does in its entire life. if you baked a wild turkeys leg in the oven like a tame bird, you could very easily beat someone to death with it, lol. i always crock-pot the legs/thighs until meat falls off, and make sandwiches. i keep meaning to try smoking a set. maybe this spring?

7thson

It makes me think of Thanksgiving and all that good stuff that goes along with it.I may try hunting some in the future,but I only shoot a bow now.

One time in California I seen two tom's clinching each other,and they were still doing it when I came back from my fishing trip,funny shit.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
It makes me think of Thanksgiving and all that good stuff that goes along with it.I may try hunting some in the future,but I only shoot a bow now.

One time in California I seen two tom's clinching each other,and they were still doing it when I came back from my fishing trip,funny shit.

i hunt them with a bow sometimes, and am spectacularly unsuccessful at it. i'd bet that most killed by archery are shot from a blind.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'm thinking that camo catches the hunter, not the turkeys. a few falls back, i had over 40 birds walk within 15 feet of me while dressed head to toe in hunter orange. all i did was sit still...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
three days before season opened, heard 7 different birds on the farm. opening morning, heard exactly fuck nothing, and had a damn tick on me when i got home. not a very encouraging start to the season...

Latest posts

Latest posts