What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

J-Icky

I’ve said it many times, I don’t think old school skunk is dead as many think. It’s just that we have evolved our senses of taste and smell. Back in the day loud skunk was called roadkill and now that same plant we can pick out the different terpenes and nuances that we didn’t even think to smell or taste for in the past.

I remember there being lots of RKS around up until the late 90s but then other varieties started showing up on the scene and slowly we learned to notice the differences. Then soon after we would go get the same skunk from the same grower and instead of that loud skunk spray smell we suddenly could pick out different smells from inside the overwhelming skunk smell. We could smell lemon or citrus or hot rubber or whatever nuance it had.

I can take a bag that is fruity or citrus smelling to me and my wife, who isn’t a smoker, just says that one smells like a dead skunk and the other smells like berries and skunk but to her, an untrained nose, they are all heavy skunk smelling with an occasional fruity skunk or berry skunk but always skunk.

So I’d be willing to bet that if someone got a time machine and could go back and get a few pounds of what everyone called the RKS from back in the 80s and brought it back, every single smoker today would say it’s not the real RKS cause it smells or tastes like this or that and not like a dead skunk.

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
All these threads are hilarious.

I’ll keep growing my shoreline skunk cut and chuckling every time a new “where’s the real skunk at” thread pops up.

Everyone’s been overlooking a lot of different cuts and sources for different seed lines.

And no, don’t pm me for a cut. I’m not giving it out.

ambertrichome

Veteran
It IS the Original.

No more expensive than many other seeds Ive bought. Ive payed $200 for a pack of 10, many times.
Agreed hes milking it, but it is, what it is. If ya want the real shit, McCormick has it.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone finished the Todd Mcormick Sk1 yet ?
Im intrested to hear thoughts.

Peace

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I keep posting that I found RKS.

But nobody listens.

It. Is. Around.
But people who care about this plant arent trying to cash in off of her.

You dont have to pay a few hundred bucks for a ten pack with worse than 10% germination to find RKS.

Ive left crumbs, if youre interested.

Real RKS reeks in veg by the 4th node. Trippy high thats quite complex.
When the smell of skunk fades, there is a dog shit smell that keeps lingering.

madalasatori

Veteran
I’ve said it many times, I don’t think old school skunk is dead as many think. It’s just that we have evolved our senses of taste and smell. Back in the day loud skunk was called roadkill and now that same plant we can pick out the different terpenes and nuances that we didn’t even think to smell or taste for in the past.

I remember there being lots of RKS around up until the late 90s but then other varieties started showing up on the scene and slowly we learned to notice the differences. Then soon after we would go get the same skunk from the same grower and instead of that loud skunk spray smell we suddenly could pick out different smells from inside the overwhelming skunk smell. We could smell lemon or citrus or hot rubber or whatever nuance it had.

I can take a bag that is fruity or citrus smelling to me and my wife, who isn’t a smoker, just says that one smells like a dead skunk and the other smells like berries and skunk but to her, an untrained nose, they are all heavy skunk smelling with an occasional fruity skunk or berry skunk but always skunk.

So I’d be willing to bet that if someone got a time machine and could go back and get a few pounds of what everyone called the RKS from back in the 80s and brought it back, every single smoker today would say it’s not the real RKS cause it smells or tastes like this or that and not like a dead skunk.

Exactly - not to mention that our senses of taste and smell will have changed enormously after 30 odd years of growing and smoking high grade weed

beta

Veteran
Original Diesel, aka Daywrecker Diesel, aka Headband

But nobody listens.

It. Is. Around.

You dont have to pay a few hundred bucks for a ten pack with worse than 10% germination to find RKS.

ambertrichome

Veteran
It aint nenamed anything. Its simply the Origianl Sk1 Genectics. Nothing more, nothing less.

Skunk No. 1, acquired by Mel Frank directly from Skunkman Sam in 1988. Mel personally grew theses seeds himself. If you have been looking for authentic Skunk No.1, this is it.

Attachments

• ag_adsbb.jpg
    ag_adsbb.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 37

But nobody listens.

It. Is. Around.

Are you referring to the high voltage you found from snowhigh?

Thanks

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ I hope so as I have a pack of that. Crazy how such a popular strain from not that long ago, is lost, or many think so. To be honest, I have had modern Skunk and several sativa strains that serve well enough in terms of doing the job of the old Skunk.

But I am not hooked on that smell or taste of an actual skunk.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think if there were a true old school skunk,or a RKS out there Kg would have found her,or at least heard of her.
Just my opinion,nobody hangs onto a winning Powerball ticket without cashing in.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Are you referring to the high voltage you found from snowhigh?

Thanks
Sorry, never replied to this.

Yes, Snowhighs High Voltage.

F2's threw out several Skunk phenos that I also found in 78 Skunk, but not all of them.
The RKS reeked in veg at a half dozen nodes and I almost culled it for that smell - it permeated the whole house. Luckily i just got my MMJ card and said fuck it, lets see if I get busted (cops came and said im good when the neighbors dimed me out).

Usually the F2s were either neon green or they were a dark deep green.
Some were squat lil indica SOG plants that made forearm colas at 2-3ft tall (dark green pheno)
Some were satty hybrid about 4-6ft tall, neon green and more jagged leaves.

In F3, I found red hair Skunks. I grew those in Santa Rosa and the old heads from DeadFam/Pranksters asked if what Im growing is the old Russian River Red Skunk from the 80s.

Krk (I wish I could contact him) received a bunch of my F3s and found what he was looking for - a reincarnation of M27 Beatrix Choice.
I also found these in F2.
6-8 ft tall, branchy trees. Smaller nugs but the best vibey high with a bit of speediness.
This is leaning heavily towards the Power Plant and Acapulco.
Its cool how High Voltage is basically Beatrix Choice with a few extras.
I have a pack of AKBB's M27 repro to play with and F2, as well as incross with the High Voltage, and maybe Sterling Skunk as well.

For me, the RKS of Skunk lines comes out better when crossed to Durban, and Power Plant / PPP are Durban x Skunk.
The pure 78 Skunk had a wider range of Skunk genetics - the apple pheno was like the chillest LSD trip - but even the skunkiest plants didnt compare to High Voltage.

And finally, to bring out the old 80s Skunk smell, it doesn't stick around when drying and curing as we do on the Triangle these days with climate control and babying it.
To get the 80s smell, you gotta dry it like they did back in the 80s. Locals will tell you that you had to be careful with your car around the hills if you leave it unattended for a while as the growers will stuff a bunch of weed in there to hide as its drying.
My last big grow was in lake county, growing mostly a bunch of Diesels. Shit popped off at harvest so at night I got a bunch of branches away in garbage bags and stashed em with help from a cool neighbor. They mildly fermented in there for a couple days then we sun dried them. I ended up winning the 'best buds' competition in that valley. All the land owners asked me how I did it and they laughed when i told em and a few nodded their heads saying 'never thought to do it that way'.

I hope that helps

Latest posts

Latest posts