What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Neighbors

pheed

I've lived in my southern California apartment duplex since 2001. I've been a medical marijuana patient since 2008. Two years ago, new neighbors moved into the apartment below me, and they seem to be hell-bent on denying me the right to smoke in my own home.

There is no insulation in the walls in this building, so I suspect they can occasionally catch a faint whiff of cannabis smoke, but I wouldn't know since they've never talked to me about it. I try to be as discreet as possible, and keep airflow moving through my apartment so that most of it clears out fairly quickly. But the problem my neighbors have is not really with the smell. It's with the fact that someone is legally allowed to do something that they think should be illegal.

First they called the cops on me, who never even spoke to me and probably just explained the law to them. Since then, they've continually slammed doors, cupboards, toilet seats, showers doors, windows - and they continually yell things through the walls like "I can't wait to vote so we can put away all the potheads!".

Worst of all, every single day, when I get in the shower, they go into their bathroom, run the bathwater, and switch it back and forth between hot and cold while flushing the toilet. All of these things only contribute to making my medical condition (panic disorder) worse, which in turn forces me to have to smoke more.

I confronted them today and asked them if they have anything to say to me, but unfortunately, they are very stubborn and ignorant, and talking to them accomplished nothing. I can't move because of my credit rating, so I'm stuck here in this situation unless I wanna file a lawsuit against them.

Does anyone have any advice for me PLEASE?

Wow! Thats insane!

Dude Ive moved dozens of times and I have shitty credit.

I hate to say it, but you have to, thats just crazy, you shouldnt have to worry about this. Its 2016. If they cant be reasoned with, which by the sounds of it they cant, its time to find a chiller apt

Green Squall

Two years, that's crazy. What they are doing is straight up harassment. Invite them over and try to explain what the situation is with your panic disorder. You shouldn't have to move. You've clearly been there for a long time and it's your home.

If they continue after this, well fuck em'. I'm an easy going person, but if someone wants to play dirty, I'll play dirty. What's the worst that can happen? The law is on your side and your the victim in this. If anything, at least them harassing you will be on file.

GainGreene

10x on the move out situation. Those condo commandos just can't stand to see others not miserable. try looking into something of the beaten path with some more space no home owner association type place. I have shared walls like that for a good time. I since have left the big city and enjoy living on the outskirts.

Lyfespan

pump their unit full of CO3 fuck em world will be better without them and their offspring. we got enough of that guy, thanx

WelderDan

Veteran
Do your homework bro. Take your time, find their weaknesses and exploit those weaknesses. People are creatures of habit. Watch, listen, learn. And then use what you learned to burn 'em. Or, since they don't seem to be the type that play fair, plant some meth in their car and call the cops. End of problem.

Last edited:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
yeah that ^^^^^what part of so cal???, maybe I should come over ...lol....nothing you can do and doing anything will make things worse....learn to deal with it....yeehaw..make a smoking room with air filter/carbon...

Green Squall

Who are you!? It's no one's business how he acquires his meds. And what second hand smoke? He said they OCCASIONALLY get a slight whiff. It's doesn't sound like he's been a problem the last 15 years. His neighbors just have a stick up their ass.

I own a three family house and if one of my tenants was harassing someone for the reasons the op mentioned, I certainly know who's side I would take.

pheed

Hey KT, just to be clear, I am legally only allowed to smoke in my own home. That's the law in Cali. And no, I've lived here since before the current owners bought the building, and I am not violating any rules.

oct

Shit dude what a trip. Your a really mellow guy. I have a bad temper (that I work on keeping in check most of the time. I don't like it about myself)...but theres no way I'd be able to contain it around people like that. I hate how soft society is these days. Whining about faint smell. I also second the meth planting.

Besides your neighbors, do you genuinely like where you live?

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I would be smoking so heavily, that it would look like a damn fog machine is going in my apartment. If your well within your legal rights, that's what I would do. Smoke so much that the constant smell makes them want to move.

Obsidian

Veteran
good luck lmao

apts suck

tried it once 40yrs ago, left after 3 months and rented a cheap ass house

then went to work for a construction company and bought my first house after 3yrs of work.
grew all that time earned a shitload of $$$ dealing/working to help with my down payment.
got in the game and now own my property free and clear, never a mortgage.

you can do it.

fuck renting apts, get out asap.

honestly what a bunch of dick posting here. planting meth, causing harm to your neighbor.

don't stoop to these levels, be cool.
honestly a war with your neighbour is not worth you or them going to jail

bunch of assholes posting here for sure.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
don't let them force your hand..chill ,,make a smoking room and wait it out......get used of cold showers or showering when they are away asleep other than that tell em to fuck off... ^^^^ ya that....I would handle it differently but with me violence is always an option and a short trip to jail means I can say hi to some peeps....yeehaw

Latest posts

Latest posts