What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High CBD strain Lists and Descriptions

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
This is the reason I don't get into it with people. Saying CBD to you is a devil drug that treats and heals so many people is ridiculous. I understand wanting to try and keep some clean THC strains because I love pure Sativas myself. Loved flowering my 200 day Green Haze. If you don't want to dill with pollen chunkers, grow further away from people or grow inside. I would recommend using CBD to go to sleep at night times. It's proven to cure diseases and help prevent others so why people don't embrace it is beyond me. It's good:good: for you. Hope you change your mind one day man :).

I am sorry saying "it took hundreds if not thousands of years for local Ganja growers to remove all the CBD" is just false. They haven't even been testing for cannabinoids for that long. Their are breeders with 100% pure Sativas with hardly no CBD at all (under .1%). Ace seeds always puts out the best.

Maybe you should reread my whole post, I have nothing against CBD varieties and happy that folks that get medical or recreational benefit have them. Ganja growers removed the CBD the slow way, they saved the seeds of the plants they liked best.
If folks want to read about CBD in the NLD THC Drug genepool and my concerns about it go here:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7085638&posted=1#post7085638

I won't post again unless asked to by the OP.

-SamS

Last edited:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
this wonderful thread is called "high CBD strain lists and descriptions" and it exists in the medical cannabis forum.

in the interest of keeping it on track, i encourage you to continue your discussion in a new thread in an appropriate forum.

:thank you:

ECtraveler

Veteran
Sounds like an excellent topic for another discussion. I kindly second the request to let the thread function as intended and to not derail it.

First of all PrimalHaze this is really great that you have posted all this info in one place. It should help patients.

A few questions,
#1 Who had the very first CBD variety?
#2 What variety/varieties are the closest to all CBD?
#3 What is the earliest maturation of a CBD variety? For outdoors?
#4 Are there CBD only Auto varieties?

-SamS

Thanks for the post Sam.

#1-- Its hard for me to answer who had the very first cbd variety. Of course we know that hemp carries cbd... and that goes waaaay back. So I assume you mean who had the first contemporary HIGH cbd medical variety? If so, I would venture to say that the strain used for sativex. It took me awhile to find any details about that G5 Turkish strain. That is from Hortapharm, which is you and Rob, right? ...I'd love to hear more from you about that strain.

As far as I can snoop out... Cannatonic was one of the first strains to be marketed with CBD. Cannatonic's CBD can mysteriously be traced back to a single male found by Jimi of reggae seeds in a pack of Soma's NYCD.

#2--There's not really any 100% stable high cbd/ zero thc strains being sold. Not that I can find. CBD crew says they have one coming out. Centennial seeds says they do, but I don't see it available anywhere. Finola?

#3--???? IDK

#4---CBD crew MED GOM 1.0 is they only autoflower I know of and its close to a 1:1 cbd:thc ratio

I understand where you are coming from with cbd polluting the recreational genepool. Its not something I'm too concerned with. My seeds are nowhere the quality of yours... but I also have enough seeds for several lifetimes that do not contain cbd. It would be nice if the seedbanks would offer a stable high cbd/no thc strain, then home growers and pollen chuckers would not have to make these cbd/thc hybrids. I made some cbd/thc hybrids, just because of the inaccessibility to cbd strains and wanted to stock up on seeds.

Sam--- I have a question. Do you think that cbd is traditionally in the cannabis indica drug varieties? Or does cbd only originate in hemp varieties? I hope that makes sense :chin:

-pH

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Thanks for the post Sam.

#1-- Its hard for me to answer who had the very first cbd variety. Of course we know that hemp carries cbd... and that goes waaaay back. So I assume you mean who had the first contemporary HIGH cbd medical variety? If so, I would venture to say that the strain used for sativex. It took me awhile to find any details about that G5 Turkish strain. That is from Hortapharm, which is you and Rob, right? ...I'd love to hear more from you about that strain.

It is nice because it can be grown outdoors in the UK without a special license, so it is pretty early. And while reported to be 8% CBD that is for un-manicued whole plants over 10% for manicured buds.

As far as I can snoop out... Cannatonic was one of the first strains to be marketed with CBD. Cannatonic's CBD can mysteriously be traced back to a single male found by Jimi of reggae seeds in a pack of Soma's NYCD.

#2--There's not really any 100% stable high cbd/ zero thc strains being sold. Not that I can find. CBD crew says they have one coming out. Centennial seeds says they do, but I don't see it available anywhere. Finola?

Finola is not very high in CBD, maybe sinse it would be better. It does have very little THC. BTW, I created FINOLA in my greenhouse, and gave it to Jace in Finland.

#3--???? IDK I was curious

#4---CBD crew MED GOM 1.0 is they only autoflower I know of and its close to a 1:1 cbd:thc ratio

I understand where you are coming from with cbd polluting the recreational genepool. Its not something I'm too concerned with. My seeds are nowhere the quality of yours... but I also have enough seeds for several lifetimes that do not contain cbd. It would be nice if the seedbanks would offer a stable high cbd/no thc strain, then home growers and pollen chuckers would not have to make these cbd/thc hybrids. I made some cbd/thc hybrids, just because of the inaccessibility to cbd strains and wanted to stock up on seeds.

I am also surprised that no one else has a stabilized high CBD only with no THC it can be done it is not that hard. CBD crew said they would years ago.

Sam--- I have a question. Do you think that cbd is traditionally in the cannabis indica drug varieties? Or does cbd only originate in hemp varieties? I hope that makes sense :chin:

-pH

CBD and THC are selected for in Afghanistan as they do not smoke individual plants they only smoke bulked resin, they save the seeds of the plants with the most resin. Be it THC or CBD.
Absolutely, we found in imported WLD (Indica) varieties grown from thousands of imported seeds, that 25% are high THC, 25% are high CBD and 50/50 are a THC/CBD mix. But the high CBD have small amounts of THC, and the high THC small amounts of CBD, so they are not 100% CBD only. But high CBD easy. The problem has been that people have traditionally rejected any with CBD, until the last decade, but today most people use Super Diesel Kush OG instead of growing imported seeds. So CBD is not seen so much, as few imported seeds.
-SamS

Last edited:

KiefSweat

Veteran
as far as known cuts with cbd, one of the gravity cuts from i think early Mr Nice stock is one of the first known cbd rich plants, i would assume other 4 way indica's had the trait back in the day

and as far as why is no major seed company offering a very high cbd strain, as you said its simple breeding so its either lack of skill with plants or the business, pure cbd at drug level's ain't gonna happen, i've heard of 18-24% pure cbd plants but the testing is faulty and most have closer to .5-.8%thc

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
The reason is simple, it is a real pain to come up with a variety that has lots of CBD and zero THC, it is easy to get close to no THC, and very hard to get rid of the last bit of THC, believe me I know from experience. Also it is much easier to find a single clone with high CBD and almost no THC then to make a seed line where all the seeds will have lots of CBD and no THC. That takes real breeding work.
-SamS

as far as known cuts with cbd, one of the gravity cuts from i think early Mr Nice stock is one of the first known cbd rich plants, i would assume other 4 way indica's had the trait back in the day

and as far as why is no major seed company offering a very high cbd strain, as you said its simple breeding so its either lack of skill with plants or the business, pure cbd at drug level's ain't gonna happen, i've heard of 18-24% pure cbd plants but the testing is faulty and most have closer to .5-.8%thc

Last edited:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
So I have a new CBD release, "DoctorBreath" happening next week @ the MI HT cup if anybody is interested.
I used the Canna4 high CBD clone that circulates in MI crossed to my male OGKB Girl Scout Cookie bagseed find.

every high CDB strain I've tried has tasted pretty bad so I'm hoping someone will find an example that has the OGKB frost, flavor and pain killing effects.

Canna 4 Female
picture.php

OGKB GSC male bagseed aka CookieBoi.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
That thunderstruck has a great cannabinoid profile, even some THCV in there. I'm still looking for a THCV rich strain, I've been gifted two different phenos of Jack the Ripper a few years back that were claimed to be THCV phenos but my lab tests proved otherwise....

You will be lucky to find a THCV rich strain most have only 1-2% at the most. You can make one if you have many different unrelated families of THCV to use for the work and a GC to let you know what the progeny THCV levels are?
-SamS

KiefSweat

Veteran
The reason is simple, it is a real pain to come up with a variety that has lots of CBD and zero THC, it is easy to get close to no THC, and very hard to get rid of the last bit of THC, believe me I know from experience. Also it is much easier to find a single clone with high CBD and almost no THC then to make a seed line where all the seeds will have lots of CBD and no THC. That takes real breeding work.
-SamS

have you produced a variety with more then 5% total cannabiods that had no detectable thc or you still talking about 98% purity? Even when you do the math on the strains they used to this paper the "pure" plant still produces some detectable thc.

My data coincides with the published data I've read, my plants that produce 10% cbd, produce .3% thc ( i think gw's cut averages about .26% if i can recall)

In the materials studied, the proportions of both CBD to hold true if dioecious plants had been used as parenand
THC reached at best 96–98% of the total canna- tals or F1 plants had been intercrossed to obtain segregating
F2 binoid fraction. Generally, even after five cycles of in- ’s. The model proposed here is therefore highly
breeding selection aimed at one target cannabinoid, at predictive and intended to stimulate further research:
least a 2–4% impurity consisting of other cannabinoids it provides a tool to elucidate the possible existence of
remains. Therefore, the alleles postulated here, even other genetic loci regulating the cannabinoid composiin
homozygous genotypes, seem to have an imperfect tion.
control over the biosynthetic events.

Also in this paper the "pure" plant is some low overall testing fiber plant, show me some real info on a cbd hash plant that produces zero thc and you might gain some credibility besides
"itodaso"
thats what i've seen so when you have plants that produce 15% resin they are going to produce at some detectable amount of thc.

txuck

Resultados del Método de análisis de canabinoides en muestras de Cannabis sativa L. basado en las directrices marcadas por la ONU.

Muestra CBDV % THCV % CBD % THC ∆9 % CBG % CBN %
Ganjazz Nº6. CBD3 0.93 0.65 18.39 1.81 0.38 0.73
Ganjazz Nº7 CBD4** 0.24 0.21 10.15 2.58 0. 71 0.10
Ganjazz Nº8. CBD5 0.12 0.79 17.30 2.10 1.57 1.76
Ganjazz Nº9. CBD6** 0.10 7.90 2.38 0.39 0.08
Ganjazz Nº10. CBD7 0.16 1.24 19.98 0.90 0.12 0.42

My harlequin selection number 7, is 1.24 THCV and 19,98 CBD
:biggrin:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
have you produced a variety with more then 5% total cannabiods that had no detectable thc or you still talking about 98% purity? Even when you do the math on the strains they used to this paper the "pure" plant still produces some detectable thc.

You can have zero THC with a CBG variety like we did. And over 5% Cannabinoids.

My data coincides with the published data I've read, my plants that produce 10% cbd, produce .3% thc ( i think gw's cut averages about .26% if i can recall)

Even lower now.

Also in this paper the "pure" plant is some low overall testing fiber plant, show me some real info on a cbd hash plant that produces zero thc and you might gain some credibility besides
"itodaso"
thats what i've seen so when you have plants that produce 15% resin they are going to produce at some detectable amount of thc.

15% of what resin? CBG? Zero Cannabinoids but lots of resin?

So the way to gain credibility is by showing you info? Oh.

Depends how you breed them, it can be done but we were more interested in a variety that could be grown dependably outdoors in the UK with no license required and early maturation. And below .3 %THC. Why grow CBD under lights or in a green house unless required to?
-SamS

What is silly about the whole high cbd/ no thc thing is that it's not what the growers or patients really want or need. It's just a stupid restriction imposed by lawmakers. A big hoop to jump through to produce cbd legally without the psychoactive thc. Another case of reefer madness. My state passed a cbd-only law. How many medical patients are helped by that? Even cases of dravet's benefit from some thc.

Thanks to everyone contributing to the thread, I love seeing the different cbd plants.
That thunderstruck is pretty sweet! Interesting that when you self acdc (a 20:1 type of plant) it throws 1.5:1 ratios in the offspring.
It must be hard to find a homozygous chemo type that will produce cbd only. Shantibaba says in a Herbie's video that it took 450 tests and 3 yrs to find a true breeding cbd plant. But even then I think it still produces some thc.... But I'm not sure... there's only so much I can learn from a Herbies video 😀
-ph
http://youtu.be/2mOCXpPQhEA

Betterhaff

Veteran
What is silly about the whole high cbd/ no thc thing is that it's not what the growers or patients really want or need. It's just a stupid restriction imposed by lawmakers. A big hoop to jump through to produce cbd legally without the psychoactive thc. Another case of reefer madness. My state passed a cbd-only law. How many medical patients are helped by that? Even cases of dravet's benefit from some thc.
What’s even worse about the CBD only laws, in some states where they were passed there are no provisions for supply.

I’m curious about the synergies of terpenes with high CBD varieties.

KiefSweat

Veteran
thanks for answering my questions in your own way. A cbg plant won't produce thc thats a given. I've read the papers that you can never cite, unless you did other magic work you don't want to talk about.

KiefSweat

Veteran
Why grow CBD under lights or in a green house unless required to?
-SamS

why grow any dope under lights? CBD currently has a lot higher value then thc so unless you have shitty genetics that don't produce I don't have an answer to a question like that.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
So you grow CBD because you can make more money?
You have no other reason?

BTW I do not and have grown Cannabis under lights I don't like the idea on many levels.
I don't do much of anything for the money, I do it because it is what I believe in.

BTW, a CBG plant can have THC also, they are not all only CBG. Just like most CBD plants in the USA also have some THC. A CBG only plant should only have CBG.
-SamS

power puff

I was wondering, if you examine a bud from a thc/cbd plant under a microscope, would it look different from a only thc plant??

Or do the trichomes all look alike no matter what active ingredients they contain?