What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best thing I EVER added to my res...

S

SeaMaiden

Noyd, the UV sterilizer will only kill free-floating microbes. This generally automatically disallows benthic nitrifiers, because, specifically, they're benthic (attached to surfaces). :) That's what makes it such a great adjunct in fishkeeping, because it's usually/mostly the free-floaters we want to kill.
Not to take over this thread..... I can see how large doses of carbon can affect fish and Corals. Which is why I made my own referium. This with filter socks and Echobak along with algea is my filter of choice. But if the water becomes a bit tinged I will run carbon for 4 days max.

But with the girls a simple filter sock, some beni bacteria and a place to hold your bac is really all that is needed.

I will be starting my room soon, (putting togethers brothers roon atm) and I will be using a protien skimmer pump to add O2 to my res. Tho I been really looking at those keep alive pumps, they seem to do the same thing but cost a ton less.

Getting back to this thread... Yes Add filter material! Add Huge ammounts of O2 and keep her panties clean:moon: No one wants a red Bum...

Just my 2cents

Gruetoo :plant grow:

Do you mean a refugium, Grue? If so, did you use anything, book or similar, for the basis and basic construction? I'm specifically curious about the Fenner/Calfo book, as I was involved with that work.

I keep reading of growers incorporating venturis into their circulation systems, and have read some considering foam fractionation, but I find myself wondering about the utility of using a form of filtration that would necessarily remove many of the DOCs (dissolved organic compounds) that actually feed plants.

It's been a few years (more) since I worked the trade. What are 'keep alive' pumps? Live-bait well pumps, the battery-run or 12v ones?

Gruetoo

What do you guys think about using plant benis...I use to add great white to my res...haven't tried it with the filter yet...wondering if adding them would benefit??KG

I think any in your system would be good.

As for referiums.
Way back in the day (Late 70's) Reading on sewage treatment plants, I remembered how they were using ensymes to break down poop. 10 years ago I saw some at the store but the price was just too much. So I duplclated what they were selling in plexi. Once I saw that it was a basic divided box the light came on. Not complacted, and as long as you use a protien skimmer your good to go. No need for venturis. And if it works on my corals it will work on our girls.

Add a filter
Add a place for beni bac to grow.
Increase your O2 as high as you can. Then do it again!
Wash and repeat
I also think the only way you can use too much O2 would be by adding O3 to your system.
Anyone considered adding CO2 to their water to keep the PH in their prefered growing range?
I have a calicum reactor that does just that. Adds CO2 to break down arginate blah blah blah. I do understand adding too much anything is not good. But it would be simple to have the CO2 keep the PH at your desired level. With out the use of PH down or your choice of acids...
My 2 Cents

Gruetoo

The affordable UV sterilizers I've checked out have a limited bulb life. Some recommend running them periodically to save on bulb-hours.

I think he meant reeferium. :)

Hahaha Yes and Yes. No I cant spell and I have a hard time locating the spell check thingy. I ramble and hit Submit. Perhaps one day I will spell check and proof read...

N

noyd666

indoor grows =basic water chemistry=by big toke is exc read. sticky.
gruetoo your spelling is ok , mine is worse lol.

juggernaut

Interesting thread.
I run drip emitters and cloging is a constant problem.

I'm just worried about the carbon filters absorbing the nutrients.

Anyone have anymore on this?

N

noyd666

just put post in and its gonzy, i'll wack this in and see.
there ya go, internet.

jason33

does anyone have any info on, self watering pots for soil ., and or make my own outa 5 gal.bucket???any help????

S

SeaMaiden

I think any in your system would be good.

As for referiums.
Way back in the day (Late 70's) Reading on sewage treatment plants, I remembered how they were using ensymes to break down poop. 10 years ago I saw some at the store but the price was just too much. So I duplclated what they were selling in plexi. Once I saw that it was a basic divided box the light came on. Not complacted, and as long as you use a protien skimmer your good to go. No need for venturis. And if it works on my corals it will work on our girls.

Add a filter
Add a place for beni bac to grow.
Increase your O2 as high as you can. Then do it again!
Wash and repeat
I also think the only way you can use too much O2 would be by adding O3 to your system.
Anyone considered adding CO2 to their water to keep the PH in their prefered growing range?
I have a calicum reactor that does just that. Adds CO2 to break down arginate blah blah blah. I do understand adding too much anything is not good. But it would be simple to have the CO2 keep the PH at your desired level. With out the use of PH down or your choice of acids...
My 2 Cents

That sounds like a simple biological filter, not a refugium. A refugium uses macroalgae, live sand (substrate) and live rock in separate sections of the sump (what you were looking at built out of Plexi) through which the water flows. Those refugia using macros, especially making big use of macros, must use additional lighting for the macros (macroalgae in this context). The live rock houses nitrifiers and many, many other creatures, and the macros act specifically as nutrient accumulators.

If denitrification is desired, a low-flow section of sump, with appropriate anaerobic denitrifying microbes, is created as a bypass section of the refugium.

Most growers aren't using CO2 for water parameter manipulation, it's really pretty easy to keep it in range once you learn how to balance the salts (if that's how you roll) and begin with good, clean water, RO is preferred by many for this reason. If they *are* using it, it's in their sealed rooms during the daylight phase of photoperiod indoors. I believe they usually situation their reservoirs, if using reservoirs (sump for us) outside the rooms. You don't want a high CO2 level in plant root zones.

Because you use a Ca-reactor, you know what I do--that it's not that difficult to get CO3 into solution. ;) I agree with you regarding O3 use in reservoirs, many folks like to use them to control odor in this context.

Are you familiar with the book Natural Marine Aquarium--Reef Invertebrates?

Last edited:

Keep goin

Interesting thread.
I run drip emitters and cloging is a constant problem.

I'm just worried about the carbon filters absorbing the nutrients.

Anyone have anymore on this?

Um, yeah...read the post from the beginning!!

Any nutrient absorption is only notable for the first couple of days...I just added a touch more of the green of the GH 3 part...came right around.

Also from what others (more advanced with their understanding of fish systems) have said it is essentially the length of time the biologicals are becoming active inside the filter. This all makes sense to me. All I know is what I have observed personally.

Put the filter into action...any paleness, or nutrient absorption disappears after only a few days. Then the nutes seem stable and easy to deal with. NO negative effects that I have noticed AT ALL!!

Good Luck
KG

Gruetoo

Are you familiar with the book Natural Marine Aquarium--Reef Invertebrates?

Perhaps I made my statements to generalized. Water in thru Live rock section (about 50# crushed about size of a quarter) then there are 2 exits. Left side 6" into Macro alge area with 6" sand and a few pieces (About 10#) Live rock this section dumps into return. 2nd section has protein skimmer followed by echo bak in up lift container. Heater and out put for O3 and Cal reactor. this also dumps into return. When I do run carbon it is in one of the entrance socks. Yes, I have read it many times. BTW My tank is currently down until my next move. I will go over to reef central and see if my album is still there. Grue is my handle. Sump is 24X36X18

BTW to all the knowledge in aquariums can be used in the growing of the girls. It is just a bit more critical and 100X more expensive

quinoa64

BTW to all the knowledge in aquariums can be used in the growing of the girls. It is just a bit more critical and 100X more expensive.

LOL, thanks for that! Reading this thread made me want to take up a new expensive hobby, as if I need another one. Then again, an aquarium makes for excellent cover on a stealth grow, and also something pretty to look at while consuming the fruits of your labor.

What I've learned from this thread:

1) you want to use a filter with hydroponics
2) some (all?) beneficial bacteria need a porous medium to latch onto
3) it may make more sense (or at least be simpler/cheaper/easier) to use nitrifying bacteria in a reservoir if the goal is to crowd out undesirables

Re #3, compare Nutrafin Cycle to Great White or EWC tea. Is that just silly, though? Plants aren't fish, they don't pee in the water.

But if it does work (and it obviously works for KG!) it just seems so much easier to add 5ml of Cycle to my res now and then, rather than mixing up and brewing a batch of tea.

macdiesel

I quickly scanned this thread so excuse if Im asking something already answered.

Wouldn't the filter screen out nutes in the solution?

I can see a filter being VERY advantageous in a cloner as slime will crush your girls

Keep goin

Your dissolved nutes should pass through the filter with the water.

Yeah, they do CR...there is NO problem with nutes passing and being usable by the plants. I am now entering week 6...another week or so until flush...or at least "nute down". (I don't really "flush" I just add back fresh water then more water instead of mix toward the end)

At this point I would know if there was going to be any problems with the use of the filter long term.

I am doing my regular nute regiment and all is good!! Balanced between 1.4 and 1.8 for most of the run...pump up to 2.4 at most, then back down to 1.0 or less to finish.

Thanks everyone for checking in...hope this helps people out. !!

KG

festerous

Veteran
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Further investigation will reveal more about their nature:
> what is a grue?
The grue is a sinister, lurking presence in the dark places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.

S

SeaMaiden

Perhaps I made my statements to generalized. Water in thru Live rock section (about 50# crushed about size of a quarter) then there are 2 exits. Left side 6" into Macro alge area with 6" sand and a few pieces (About 10#) Live rock this section dumps into return. 2nd section has protein skimmer followed by echo bak in up lift container. Heater and out put for O3 and Cal reactor. this also dumps into return. When I do run carbon it is in one of the entrance socks. Yes, I have read it many times. BTW My tank is currently down until my next move.
That's a fuge! Err... was a fuge.
I will go over to reef central and see if my album is still there. Grue is my handle. Sump is 24X36X18
Nice sump! I met my husband on RDO, just over 10 years ago.
BTW to all the knowledge in aquariums can be used in the growing of the girls. It is just a bit more critical and 100X more expensive

Abso-fecking-lutely it can! I feel it's more than a matter of opinion, there are those who disagree. Then again, if you ask them, we should be able to run down to the market and buy any old sea salt and we should be able to grow our corals and fish in it. Interesting concept, isn't it? I haven't been on RC in years. Has activity dropped since the economy tanked?
LOL, thanks for that! Reading this thread made me want to take up a new expensive hobby, as if I need another one. Then again, an aquarium makes for excellent cover on a stealth grow, and also something pretty to look at while consuming the fruits of your labor.
It got so bad in such a short period of time for me, that I had to get a job in the trade to support my fish habit. At one time I had containers on every surface *and* on the floors of our apartment, all filled with fish. And it started when I brought my newborn home with an upper respiratory infection, so I got a tank and some goldies and a koi for him to look at. Two years later I was trying my hand at reefkeeping.

Oddly enough, I've never done my own planted OR discus tank.
What I've learned from this thread:

1) you want to use a filter with hydroponics
2) some (all?) beneficial bacteria need a porous medium to latch onto
3) it may make more sense (or at least be simpler/cheaper/easier) to use nitrifying bacteria in a reservoir if the goal is to crowd out undesirables

Re #3, compare Nutrafin Cycle to Great White or EWC tea. Is that just silly, though? Plants aren't fish, they don't pee in the water.

But if it does work (and it obviously works for KG!) it just seems so much easier to add 5ml of Cycle to my res now and then, rather than mixing up and brewing a batch of tea.
Completely different products, I think. It's been a while since I've worked the trade and bottled inoculants were just coming onto the scene when I stopped, but I would think that Nutrafin Cycle is an inoculant of nitrifyers (possibly including Archae? :dunno: but I still keep in touch with a lot of my old trade contacts, so should be easy enough to find out), whereas, if I understand Great White correctly, you're getting a different suite of beneficial microorganisms. With good worm castings, you're definitely getting a whole suite, including mycorrhizae, but I am not sure you'd be getting many nitrifyers. Microbeman or CT_Guy may know the answer to that.

KG, interesting to note that the changes you observe with regard to nutrients only lasts two days. That's far shorter than I imagined, but it does make sense.

Gruetoo

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Further investigation will reveal more about their nature:
> what is a grue?
The grue is a sinister, lurking presence in the dark places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.

Yes, I am a gamer. And yes I played Zork =p And yes the Grues do come out dark to eat you.

Yes It has tanked. there is no money for it anymore. I sold My last Zoa rock for 100 bucks. Normally got 10 bucks a head. Will add
photo of old Tank

Latest posts

Latest posts