What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FIRST OUTDOOR: 58n typhoon and nanda devi

Time Bomb

That looks pretty sweet man I wish my area was that big for my spot, but you got that set up really tight man. I hate when a slug or snail gobbles up one of my seedlings and just leaves its little slime trail as evidence.lol good luck this year and for a first outdoor grow looks like you've thought about it all

rocket high

Veteran
looking swell Hoots ... where did you get that flat copper from as the only thing ive seen close to it was the copper tape ...looks like it will do a good job protecting the plant from slugs.

I feel your pain on the weather front ,im in the east and the weather has been very erratic but as you say hoots we don't need to water any time soon .... the Roe deer and Red deer are my biggest worry at the moment when we go away they come to have a look at what was happening, they ain't daft that's for sure.

im looking forward to seeing how the typhoon does in this damp climate as im going to run them next year .... you should maybe try some HFH strains as they are semi-auto and are quite potent for early strains.

Hoots

Sharing is caring .
We´re looking forward to follow your guerilla-grow :cool:

P :smoke:

Your quite right, the more we share the better we will all be:)

Loving the look of your garden, will enjoy watching it grow!

Nice spots hoot! They lookin good.

Cheers Jay-toker

....good luck this year and for a first outdoor grow looks like you've thought about it all

Good luck back at ye, this forum has given me plenty to think about and so thanks to everyone who has told there growing stories.

looking swell Hoots ... where did you get that flat copper from as the only thing ive seen close to it was the copper tape ...looks like it will do a good job protecting the plant from slugs.

Hi Rocket, it came from a role of thin copper sheet that was in the attic when we moved in. Saw some pictures of Esbes drink can slug protectors and thought to try it with the copper. As to where you could get some I haven't seen anything like it before!

I feel your pain on the weather front ,im in the east and the weather has been very erratic but as you say hoots we don't need to water any time soon .... the Roe deer and Red deer are my biggest worry at the moment when we go away they come to have a look at what was happening, they ain't daft that's for sure.

im looking forward to seeing how the typhoon does in this damp climate as im going to run them next year .... you should maybe try some HFH strains as they are semi-auto and are quite potent for early strains.

Aye we are looking at 45mph winds and rain this week. I suppose its good the plants are still wee, but it will certainly harden them up if they survive. Haven't been back for a few days so fingers crossed. May certainly came in like a lamb and roaring out like a lion.

There were signs of roe deer at my spots when I first found them but no sign they have been back since. To much greenery elsewhere I am thinking. Might be different at the other end though.

I can't wait to see the typhoons up and about, they seem to have a pale grey green colour with a tinge of purple at the edges of the newest leaves.

Looking forward to trying some HFH strains, they look very beautiful and tasty and it will be good to see which of yours are happiest here.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Hey Hoots..

Just heard on the wireless that you might be getting wind speeds upto 70mph..:eek:

hope your babys will be ok?

Eggy

Hoots

Hey Hoots..

Just heard on the wireless that you might be getting wind speeds upto 70mph..:eek:

hope your babys will be ok?

Eggy

That was a wild night, expect it in winter but not now. Shame to see the new leaves blasted off the trees in the morning. Torrential cold rain for hours with some sleet and hail mixed in.
Because I had the opportunity on the morning before the storm hit I planted out 5 typhoons and one Garwhali Jungli x mandala#1 at spot 1.
picture.php

Typhoon,
picture.php

JungliXmandala,
picture.php

Slid while squeezing through some logs and dropped the plants on the way there. They then had to survive the storm I had put them out in for there first night under the sky.

Saw them today and all are looking fine and healthy, no real growth but am amazed because I wouldn't have survived being out in that weather on that night!
Nice *grabs popcorn* cant wait to see how ND turns out in Scotland :)

Cheers Rinse looking forward to it to:).
Checked spot2 today. Had planted 2 more nanda devi there yesterday which makes 5 and the final amount for them.

All the plants had survived a bad week and the big winds:jump:
Thypoons had even grown a bit and always look happy, tough plants.

Nandas are also happy in this weather which I guess is not to diffrent from Himalayan monsoon time.

They could all do with a warm spell but it doesn't look like it will be this week.

This is the only photo that came out today, Nanda likes to grow it leaves long.
picture.php

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Hoots,

I'm looking forward to see those typhoons take off!

That copper will be very protective against slugs. Its awfully expensive if you need to buy it, though.

I've posted this before about my favorite slug/snail killer: Bordeaux mix:

"For anyone having trouble with snails and slugs there is an old organic method that works well: Bordeaux mixture, a mix of copper sulfate and hydrated lime that has been used extensively as a fungicide. I used to use this as a fungicide when I was raising over an acre of tomatoes each year for fresh market. More to the point, I specifically used this around my strawberries (but not on them) to kill slugs and snails.

The beauty of bordeaux mixture for snails and slugs is that is is very sticky AND you can use it as a barrier spray around your plants instead of spraying your good herb directly. Bordeaux mix is also very inexpensive.

Snail and Slug management :Instead of copper bands, Bordeaux mixture (a copper sulfate and hydrated lime mixture) or copper sulfate alone brushed onto trunks will repel snails. One treatment should last about a year. Adding a commercial spreader or white latex paint can help the Bordeaux mixture remain effective for two seasons.
"

You could put this in a small easy to carry cheapo trigger sprayer to lay down a slug barrier.

Bordeaux mix can be prepared or purchased.

zielonylasss

guerilla grower
Veteran
Hey Hoots! Your spots are looking really good to me. Good camouflage and no paths to the place it is a key to keep it just for you!
Wish you best of growluck mate!
:wave:

Big Eggy

Veteran
Glad they stood up to the weather.. my plants only had to deal with 20mph wind a light rain and showed sings of windburn (at least i hope it's windburn).

Keep up the good work hoots we'r all gonna enjoy this i'm sure!

Eggy

Hoots

:dancer:SUNSHINE:dancer:
:party:

picture.php

Finally the sun came out yesterday, still with a good wind and then today SUMMER! Far to hot for me but the plants are loving it:)

Amazing the growth spurt in just a few days, a week of this would make all the difference. 3c on sunday night to blazing heat today the typhoons and the nanda devi are taking it in there stride.

Typhoon, spot2,
picture.php

Typhoon also spot2,
picture.php

Oldest Nanda devi,
picture.php

The slugs had a go on its long leaves on a very damp wednesday but have left the rest of the plant alone. This nanda is racing ahead now, nice big leaves,
picture.php

Cheers for the advice on slugs Claude Hopper. So far I have got of lightly only the biggest nanda and one typhoon have been attacked. The typhoon has kept its leaves held really high in a tight V shape since, keen to keep them away from further ravages.

picture.php

Hey Hoots! Your spots are looking really good to me. Good camouflage and no paths to the place it is a key to keep it just for you!
Wish you best of growluck mate!
:wave:

Cheers for that Zielonylasss, your right about no paths. The deer have paths all over so I stick to there meanderings and tread lightly.

Glad they stood up to the weather.. my plants only had to deal with 20mph wind a light rain and showed sings of windburn (at least i hope it's windburn).

Keep up the good work hoots we'r all gonna enjoy this i'm sure!

Eggy

Really impressed with how tough these plants are, they are taking everything they get and still try to grow. If they get the sun for a while I think they will just explode.

Planted out the last of the plants on tuesday, quite a relief to get them all there safely.

On spot 1 there is, 6 typhoons and 4 garwhali jungli x mandala#1.

On spot 2 is, 13 typhoons and 5 nanda devis.

On with the summer:smoke out:

monkeytennis

good luck with the adventure hoots its looking good so far ive got some shrubs going out next few days in the land of wind and rain as well

Hi Hoots !
Nice to see your plants are growing well. What do you think about the Thypoons ? I have a cross of Thypoon*Royal Dane and they are FLYYYIIING fast growers. . . I think it must be the Thypoons who are responsible for that ? So far they are really STRONG growers so i am gonna germinate the rest of them i have in a couple of days and get them out in the nature in a hurry. . . GOOD LUCK to ya Hoots and i will keep following you on your adventure in the Scandinavien forests. . . It is really nice weather we have right now, where i live it is up to 32C today. . . Mmmmh i really enjoy it. . . And my plants also. . .

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
amazing job hoots, let us hope the weather plays along. your plants look nice and strong thanks to all the wind and rain. i'm actually very interested to see how these strains do for you in the Scottish season.

keep up the great job and here's hopping for a great harvest. :kos:

good growings :wave:

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Hoots said:
Finally the sun came out yesterday, still with a good wind and then today SUMMER! Far to hot for me but the plants are loving it:)

picture.php

Thats how we like it :cool:

P :smoke:

Hoots

Cheers everyone,

Summer didn't last long and last weekend had temps down to 1.2C at the house and probably tipped frost where the plants are. Didn't bother them at all but not what you expect in the middle of june!

Really impressed with these plants, they are growing slowly but we have rarely had temps above 12C this last month or so. Hot when the sun comes out but with cold fresh air always blowing. They look really healthy though and if we got temps a bit higher then grow they will.

I like the idea of 32C Chrille grows, I know the typhoons would grow huge with heat like that-its great to see them flashing there leaves to catch what little sun there is.

The last week has been better, heavy rain at night but some better spells of sun.

Seem to have used all the memory allocated to me in my photo album so only room for one picture,

Nanda deviA, yesterday after heavy rain,
picture.php

The others aren't nearly as big, its really loving the conditions.

So far the slugs have gone for my wilted succulent comfrey leaf offerings and only one jungliXmandala#1 has been munched badly but its still hanging on so will see if it makes it.

I had hoped the plants would be a bit bigger by now but they are all healthy and thats what counts.

Happy Solstice everyone:yay:

rocket high

Veteran
nice work hoots the last 2 days have been very wet for me on the east coast but yours dont look bad at all ,looking good :)

Hoots

Cheers rocket:)

Last two weeks have seen an improvement in the weather air temp getting has high as 15C which is high summer here!

Lots of cloud but some sun and less wind and rain and then the last few days were scorchers.

Hopefully a photo of the oldest nanda devi will appear, taken today.

rocket high

Veteran
wow ....yours are looking amazing ,mines look crap but in using indigenous soil with a little amendments..im trying to acclimatize them to the soil for the next batch of seeds ...soon they will thrive in the clay soil ... well i hope they do :)

Latest posts

Latest posts