What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many mg's of THC in an average bowl?

eexpee

Not quite sure where to post this, but the medical forum seemed appropriate. I was wondering on average, how many mg's of THC are in one typical bowl? How many mg's of THC are needed to reach the desired effect?

I may be answering my own question here, but assuming your bud is 15% THC, then say, 1g is consumed then thats 150mg of THC, correct? So, if a bowl is about 0.2g, give or take, 150mg/5 = 30mg per bowl. Does this seem right?

:tiphat:

SoCoMMJ

You Sir, are good at math :tiphat:

All joking aside, I believe that you are correct in gross THC consumption. You have to wonder how much is not absorbed from the smoke and how much is burned to the point of not vaporizing.

If I was to guess, I would think that the THC is vaped out next to the burning plant material, not from the burning material.

In other words, how much of that are you really receiving as dosage, vs how much is wasted.

HillBillMt

ill be damned if i didnt ask my ceiling this very ?? before falling ta sleep a few nights ago (have i found a portal) we are finding folks are asking things concerning dosages. now to properly address such an issue one would have ta under go testing on a constant basis, strain by strain.... oh dear, this is gunna cut into my smoking time... HHB

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
eexpee - Your calculations are right, but...

SoCoMMJ - You raise very good points. I don't believe any method is 100% efficient... but how efficient is the most efficient delivery system? (in regards to absorption vs destruction/non-absorption of active cannabinoids.)

(If any method is 100% efficient, please let me know. :))

GreenMtn - I would assume oral ingestion (eating it) would work the most efficiently. I suppose the argument could be made that you lose some THC while cooking due to heat destruction, however, I think if cooked on a low enough temperature you can eliminate that.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
My initial thought was alcohol based tinctures would be most efficient... but different delivery methods also have different effects... :dunno:

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Not quite sure where to post this, but the medical forum seemed appropriate. I was wondering on average, how many mg's of THC are in one typical bowl? How many mg's of THC are needed to reach the desired effect?

I may be answering my own question here, but assuming your bud is 15% THC, then say, 1g is consumed then thats 150mg of THC, correct? So, if a bowl is about 0.2g, give or take, 150mg/5 = 30mg per bowl. Does this seem right?

:tiphat:

15% thc is 15% of the cannabinoids is thc... you still need to figure out what % mass is oil and what % is plant....

a recent BHO extraction of satori got me 14.5 g pure oil... so from 112g i get 14,5
some 12.5% of that 15% is thc....so i only have 2.175 g of thc in my oil.... hmmmmm.....

You Sir, are good at math :tiphat:

All joking aside, I believe that you are correct in gross THC consumption. You have to wonder how much is not absorbed from the smoke and how much is burned to the point of not vaporizing.

If I was to guess, I would think that the THC is vaped out next to the burning plant material, not from the burning material.

In other words, how much of that are you really receiving as dosage, vs how much is wasted.

your good at math? how do u figure? the numbers u guys are using arnt even right..

i could be wrong too! but it seams to me with 86 cannabinoids, and cbd and cbn being 2 other major markers...that 15% is the thc content. my satori supposidly has up to 31% thc... i know its not oil weight @ 31%....
just trying to use logic.

Last edited:
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The thc test is bullshizit! It tells you how much thc is in the cristals (maybe same as oil from above post) but tells nothing about how much oil is in the bud.

I think the THC content that people are talking about is a good guide, but not a exact measure of how well bud will work for you.

Let me break it down. Let's say you get some bud that has a 20% count of thc in the crystals/resin/oil. And 1% of the bud is crystals/resin/oil. You have a percentage of 2 pure thc.
If you get bud that has a 10% count of thc in the crystals/resin/oil & 3% of it is crystals/ resin/ oil, then you have a pure thc count of 3.
Not to mention all of the other components of the stuff cdc's cdn's.
I don't think anyone is checking thc by weight of bud. That's what they should be doing, but that's an honest assessment. Those don't happen in this industry.

Cindy99

C`mon now imagine you smoke cigarettes they will tell you 5mg, 10mg or 20 mg. That does not mean you will absorb every molecule of THCA but its a guide and a very simple and easy method.

C`mon now imagine you smoke cigarettes they will tell you 5mg, 10mg or 20 mg. That does not mean you will absorb every molecule of THCA but its a guide and a very simple and easy method.

yeah, its just like anything else, its labeled by content. Percentage absorbed doesnt matter, because that will be variable by the intake method and even the person using the drug. What matters is the end user will NEVER absorb more than the determined content.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The thc test is bullshizit! It tells you how much thc is in the cristals (maybe same as oil from above post) but tells nothing about how much oil is in the bud.

I think the THC content that people are talking about is a good guide, but not a exact measure of how well bud will work for you.

Let me break it down. Let's say you get some bud that has a 20% count of thc in the crystals/resin/oil. And 1% of the bud is crystals/resin/oil. You have a percentage of 2 pure thc.
If you get bud that has a 10% count of thc in the crystals/resin/oil & 3% of it is crystals/ resin/ oil, then you have a pure thc count of 3.
Not to mention all of the other components of the stuff cdc's cdn's.
I don't think anyone is checking thc by weight of bud. That's what they should be doing, but that's an honest assessment. Those don't happen in this industry.
thats what im saying

thats still got nothing to do with determining how much is in the bowl.

yeah, its just like anything else, its labeled by content. Percentage absorbed doesnt matter, because that will be variable by the intake method and even the person using the drug. What matters is the end user will NEVER absorb more than the determined content.

thats still got nothing to do with determining how much is in the bowl.

but if you spend too much time "breaking up" your herb all the oil gets on your fingers.....= o intake

T

tokinafaty420

Take into account any THC that has escaped from smoke between hits or the THC that remains locked in the resin that accumulates inside any pipe, bong, vape, or paper.

gdbud

That is why single hits are better. Everyone gets a fresh hit.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Really...
You signed up just to say that about a 6year old thread?

What's that say about you?

Latest posts

Latest posts