What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nugswap - A Canadian "Potluck" in the GTA

fatigues

Veteran
Nugswap – Toronto

This may be of interest to ICM growers and enthusiasts in the GTA area. It’s a measure of how far we have come that I don’t feel like a complete asshole for posting about this here.

As of October 17, 2018, cannabis is legal in Canada. It’s legal to grow (within a 4 plant limit unless you have other plant limits under the ACMPR). But more importantly, it’s legal to give your pot away, 30gs at a time. And you can give your seeds away, even a clone or four, too. And while concentrates are not yet legal to sell – they are legal to make and possess and to give away as long as you aren’t using organic solvents to do it. Traditional hash, bubble hash and rosin are just fine to make – and to give away.

Less clear is whether it’s okay to get a like amount back in return. You can give your pot away, you just aren’t allowed to sell it. Is trading pot “selling” or “giving”? We think that trading like for like is in the spirit of the Cannabis Act, so we’re likely good with it.

In that regard, over on one of reddit’s Canadian cannabis subforums, the idea began to have a monthly face-to-face meetup among those who are engaged in hobby growing. Some of the things that were contemplated was a nugswap -- a Canadian Potluck!.

The idea is that each member would bring ~30gs of their own homegrown prepackaged and split into 1/8ths. We’ll meet in a cannabis friendly venue in the GTA (Planet Paradise, Vapor Central, Hotbox or Jody’s Joint most likely) and everybody puts their pot in the bag and we all get back an ounce of weed (in 8th ) that 7/8ths of which somebody else has grown. It’s a nice way to sample other strains, comment on flavor, discuss growing and curing techniques, etc..

Of course, swapping seeds is also a big possibility and the same goes with clones. One of the hobbyists in the group has a rosin press and he seems to be all about solventless concentrates and was suggesting that we could get together and use his press, too, and trade rosin. And I’m sure this also provides a ready-made group for finding a buyer for extra grow gear you might have lying around.

Currently, there are about 18 people interested in the initial meetup, contemplated for late October. There are doubtless some on ICM who might have a lot to contribute to a growing conversation and swapping bud, seed and clones, too.

Any who may be interested can join the subreddit at: https://www.reddit.com/r/nugswap/

I wouldn't normally link to anywhere off of ICM, but this subreddit isn't a pot growing website or any place that sells seeds to compete with Nirvana or ICM's advertisers. It's a way to co-ordinate a meetup -- something that for very good reasons, ICM isn't intended to facilitate.

As October 17, 2018 has not yet arrived, most of the communication has been via email and not directly posted on reddit as yet. If you subscribe to the subreddit and send a direct message to totreesdotcom, he’ll get your subscribed to the direct mail and you can get in on the logistics of it all.

[EDIT: Alternatively, send me a PM and I'll get you set up, okay?]

And if this is of no interest to you at all? Sorry for taking up your time.

Wish uk was like that the gangsters who grow the bud here would have to go back to working for a living or selling class a drugs . Canada is forward thinking ,kids sell it here on the streets here and smoke anywhere no fear so being illegal wont stop them .

Rider420

Kudos Great idea I would join if I still lived in North York but I moved to BC in 94.

Its sad when I sucker my plants I end up with lots of cuttings that could be used to make clones. Since cuttings don't have roots they are not clones or plants I wonder what the legality of a cutting is? If legal you could bring lots of cuttings and give them away at these parties. Just an idea.

Best of luck.

fatigues

Veteran
Kudos Great idea I would join if I still lived in North York but I moved to BC in 94.

Thanks.

I invite you to start a similar group of enthusiasts in B.C.. There is no reason to restrict this to the GTA. It could thrive in any province -- especially in B.C.. I am aware of similar efforts currently underway in New Brunswick, btw.

[EDIT: If anybody is from NB and wants a heads up on how to get involved, fire me a PM and I'll get you in touch with one of the organizers out there.]

Somatek

Awesome, thanks for sharing. It's funny because we were just talking about it being inevitable that a pot-centric hort club would start up on the way back from the last Lifted Market, we were just guessing how long until they did. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest it's already being put together, now to spread them far and wide so people realise how easy it is to grow good dope.

totreesdotcom

So good to see people in support of this idea, and as OP said, there’s no reason we can’t clone these swaps/collectives all over the country. It is within our rights under the new laws!

Gmack

Its sad when I sucker my plants I end up with lots of cuttings that could be used to make clones. Since cuttings don't have roots they are not clones or plants I wonder what the legality of a cutting is? If legal you could bring lots of cuttings and give them away at these parties. Just an idea.

Best of luck.

Rooted or unrooted doesn't matter. If it's in medium it's a plant legally.

Somatek

Rooted or unrooted doesn't matter. If it's in medium it's a plant legally.

When I asked H.C. about that they said cuttings don't count until they're rooted in terms of staying within plant counts. So I imagine it'll be the same unless they've changed it somewhere in C45.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
When I asked H.C. about that they said cuttings don't count until they're rooted in terms of staying within plant counts. So I imagine it'll be the same unless they've changed it somewhere in C45.
Good observation! But, when they root you become illegal! Let's say you have ten cuttings, pretty innocuous. Once they grow roots = 10 plants added to whatever you are growing.

fatigues

Veteran
Honestly, the whole definition of "plant" is left out of the Cannabis Act. The CDSA and the ACMPR don't make it clear either.

Clones are fine to mess with, but for most hobby growers - reliable fem seed is the easiest route.

Looking down the road, I see some colloidal silver and a feminized seed run this winter! Making a reasonable amount and passing out black bottles of 40-50 ppm colloidal silver at a meetup seems like a fine plan. For the good reason that having 200+ Fem seeds of a popular strain to give away at Nugswap seems like a very worthy endeavor.

For those interested in participating in such a fem seed run, it might be a great idea to co-ordinate efforts so that some in demand strains are produced in volume.

Five or six members engaging in separate strain specific fem seed runs can amass a significant quantity of seeds. Which, given how Spring 2019 promises to be a banner year in the garden business, sounds like good timing!

Somatek

Good observation! But, when they root you become illegal! Let's say you have ten cuttings, pretty innocuous. Once they grow roots = 10 plants added to whatever you are growing.

Only if you keep them all instead of transplanting the first to root and ditching the rest. On the off chance they all root simultaneously chances are no ones going to care if you were over the limit for a bit until you killed the extra.

I'm just repeating what health canada said, I've never seen it specifically mentioned in the H.C. regulations though.

Rider420

So cuttings that have not rooted and are just wrapped in a wet paper towel could be given away at these meetings. When I sucker plants I end up with lots of cuttings that I would happily give away at these meetings to anyone who wants them, because otherwise they just end up in the compost pile or in the green waste. So newbies can get a free start.

BTW I will be ordering clones come legalization from a LP, the stains I will choose after sampling bud from legal stores. Life is good! :)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Honestly, the whole definition of "plant" is left out of the Cannabis Act. The CDSA and the ACMPR don't make it clear either.

Clones are fine to mess with, but for most hobby growers - reliable fem seed is the easiest route.

Looking down the road, I see some colloidal silver and a feminized seed run this winter! Making a reasonable amount and passing out black bottles of 40-50 ppm colloidal silver at a meetup seems like a fine plan.

I believe there is a less toxic method, i saw skunkman sam talked about it, epethon or something like that.

fatigues

Veteran
I believe there is a less toxic method, i saw skunkman sam talked about it, epethon or something like that.

Silver thiosulfate? It's not difficult to make, but colloidal silver is certainly easier.

If you want to use chems (instead of rodelization) colloidal silver is cheap to make, not terribly expensive to buy -- and it will do nicely. You ca buy it too, though the strengths it comes at are often misrepresented.

If you use it, it means the bud you have exposed to it should not be consumed in any form, but the feminized pollen that is produced as a consequence is fine.

And of course, the pollen is used on another fem plant to make seeds. The bud and seeds from that coupling is fine too - as well as whatever is grown from those seeds. It's what most of us use.

Growing a fem and then treating it to collect feminized pollen is time consuming and there is not a great deal of immediate payoff to it. Why not just grow the damn seed and clone it and not take up your grow space with a male, together with all of the ongoing problems of cross-contamination that pollen in an indoor grow space can bring.

Unless you are a breeder, there is not a good reason why those isolated cannabis growing rebels, growing alone in their basements and closets across the land should bother to make seed of any form. Not surprisingly, few do.

Until we aren't alone -- and we aren't hiding in the basement anymore. And somebody made it legal.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Epethon was used to reverse males to females.

Some people used to use gibberelic acid to induce male flowers on females, STS is more reliable from what I have been told.

Making fem seeds have their place imo, have a killer female but no male to match it so you can use that pollen as see if you can make a good hybrid, maybe you want to make sure you can keep the clone alive in the future so you make seeds to store them as back ups.

If you self a plant then self the progeny it will get inbred very quickly and they can start to lose vigour, how fast and how bad things get I cannot say, I think Sam talked about it in one of his threads about viable pollen becoming a problem the more you self or inbred selfing.

Gmack

Sts requires only a few applications where as cs needs many applications to achieve the same effects. @somatek hc told me the opposite of what your saying they told you. Roots or not if it's in medium it counts aginst your plant count. Call them again and confirm if you don't believe me. And cloning is simple btw why fuck with feminized seeds which are far more likely to turn hermie in flower? Clones from proven mother plants are the way to go. Fem seeds will take at least a month longer to get you to the same spot as a clone will. And they can still let you down nothing is guaranteed. I predict anyone who really wants to grow won't care about plant counts or will get medical paperwork if they do care. 4 plants is a joke and not all provinces are allowing home growing anyways. @rider If your medical you can give away clones to anyone really. Nothing illigal about sharing genetics. If the person your giving them to isn't medical they can only take 4 and remain legal if they care about that.

fatigues

Veteran
We could use another member or 2 to bring us to a magic swap number.

If you are on the fence and humming/hawwing over this, drop us a note.

First meeting is planned for end of October.