What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yield increasing planting method

Binnacas

Man that is a monster of a plant! Which strain was that?

For me stealth isn't an issue. I just don't have too many seeds to put in this project and I want to increase the yield. This technique seems a very effective way to increase yields in outdoor grows.

If you have pics of the ground level I'd like to see some, just to get a real picture of how this works. I do understand how it works, I'd just like to see it being done. Before, during and after planting you know. And surely those mosters have some nice thick stalks in the end of their lifecycle.

G

Hi everybody,

Dignan, it doesn't make a bigger root ball really, just more dispersed rooting sites.

Hindu Killer, your'e right about the soil. just like a regular planting, its only as successful as the dirt you put it in.

Dr. Ponix, you got it goin on dude. Keep on hoeing!

Thanks for the compliment smurf. First, that potatoe peeler. Smurf, a potato peeler in my view is must have technology for the cannabis farmer. My peeler is as important in my cloning box as the scissors and razor knife . Its whole design is to take one layer off at a time. i have 10 thumbs. Its great for cloning/scarification.

Further, the potatoe peeler is a resin scraping miracle. It will peel off some resin glands now with the leaf flat against one hand and the peeler scraping in the other. I take my peeler to my grow and in 10 minutes , Ive scraped up a head ringing bugger with that Peeler from glands on shade and secondary leaves. I suspect you could use it on indoor if you have enough plants. . Honestly, somebody should turn the afghanis on to potato peelers as necessary hash tools.

Smurf, Im rereading your post, Im gonna have questions.

Last edited:

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
lilo said:
Hey Mr Celsius I still don't see how it would be better then planting a cutting. Please, explain. If I take a cutting and root it (I bet it roots faster and with less stress to the mother plant) get say 1 kilo of rootmass versus 1 kilo of rootmass your way. Are you saying your kilo of rootmass will yield more then mine on the clone?

Thats the thing, you're not going to have the same amount of rootmass as this method. The only reason it works is because it does increase the rootmass.

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
G'day fellas,

I'm impressed with what you do with the humble potato peeler silverback! ,,,
never ceases to amaze me the things I pick up from growers here at ICmag.

Sorry Binnacas, I don't have detailed pics, so I scanned a sketch from the book where I first read about this method,, Marijuanna Botany by Robert Clarke.
I must correct myself tho,,the technique is actually called serpentine layering,,, there's also some excellent info on 'air layering' in his book. He also refers to a method called 'tip layering' involving a shallow trench 4 - 6" long etc,, all of which are great reading.
As for the strain, well you have me stumped there, it was gifted to me by a good friend. The other thing about this method is that you can do it to the lower branch/s of a plant with out upsetting the original statue of the plant, even if only for clones.

I hope this helps.

You can find it in Chapter 2 titled "Propagation of Cannabis - Asexual Propagation"

Binnacas

Thank you Smurf, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Do you usually cut the plant into individual parts or leave them together? How long before I can separate them after planting. They do need some time to root, right?

rerooting is awesome bak thru the top. silver back .awesome description man. u break down, understand, and conclude the root zone to an extent as soon as u said horizontal. i frayed branches out in the air as well. i think ile try this too in a few one plant spots. this root method = spider veins on a women gives em good circulation and makes em look buff. haha. no offence to anyones women.
i think ile try a mound and dig a pit/mound/hole/. the better u work wiht it the more lovely it will be. no doubt. kinda like organics.
but dont over do it anyone.
ive begin to notice ppl get more serious and deeper into the ways of the mj plant here.
and to all the OG'S keep it up. specially the og og's ive learned a lot scrollin thru ur shit guys.

Whats the right name of this method? I would like to read additional infos but I don't find anything with "HORIZONTAL PLANTING TECHNIQUE" with google.

G

Hey german aero, Storey Communications . com. They have this book, I checked. Cold weather farming is another book they sell that i have learned from.

thanx for the reading info smurf!. Good diagram.

The potato peeler is a must have tool for ganga growers!

steve green

awsome thread Silverback :wave:

after going trough this thread i was very intrested as ive never seen this done b4. this i a real helpfor people who want to keep plant numbers low. Also for the those who like big ass plants :rasta:

my ghetto self used cereal box with garbage bag for a temperary container until it roots

i really should have taken a photo of the plant b4 i stripped one side off :bashhead: im thinking i should add a bit more soil.. any thoughts /suggestions?
will this ghetto container get this to root..?
I just bought a 20 Gallon rubbermaid-- i hope to fill it up with an organic mix and transfer this soon to be(crosses fingers) horizontaly rooted plant. Am i a pig for wanting to use this big container indoors for one plant? ill be using a 400hps and maybe a 250. anythoughts on veg time for this idea??? i really hope this works-- if so i will deffinetly be doing this more often and will have to try this outdoors .. sorry to keep rambling on your thread silverback...let me know and i will remove any pics/post
thanks for this..

G

Hi Steve green.

You got it goin on buddy. Your right on track . I see at least 4 stems I think plus the main. That will work great. Depending upon strain, that arrangement could get huge. As it begins to grow you will want to do some pruning and training. Try to visualize and keep in mind the future growth as opposed to what my be best for now. Don't top any of the branches as this will create problems. Dont hesitate to prune side branches.

Good knowledge lies straight ahead Steve green, Keep on growing.

Sb

Last edited:

steve green

thanks silverback :joint: just wanted to make sure i was on the right track.
The strain is Pure Power Plant
not the easiest to clone but its been done b4. cant wit to see roots from the stripped side. Ill let you know how she is doing in a bit.
thnks again :wave:

Last edited:
Another great thread silverback!
and a great assist by smurf you two definatly sealed the deal for me!
start training the right girl for the job tomorow.
3 new strains,5 new spots, and now 1 new technique and learning it all from my friends at icmag priceless! JS

JlMH4LPERT

This is a really cool idea, and i have decided to try this with a hydro twist...

Currently that is in a DWC with two spots for clones however one died, now
instead of cloning this plant and having one plant hogging my entire micro and
the other stretching for light, I plan to top her, plant the top back into my
bubbling resevoir, and this should grow a second set of roots into my resevoir.

The side shoots would then be spread across a screen and the plant flowered
under 150w HPS

Anyone ever tried rooting the top of the plant?

little j

i have learned of this trick but what i want to know is if i can bury the stem of a seedling with success. i have major stretching on a couple sprouts and they cant stand up. do you think i can bury that sucker up too the leaves? to young? stem rot??? talk to ya later

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Advantageous roots & Dry farming will yield the most results in a google search.

Most plants in the nightshade family (eggplant, potato, tomato, ect) have fine hairs on the stems and when burned turn into roots. By stripping the skin of the stem and applying Butyric Acid (rooting hormone), we turn the stem into advantageous roots. I know I'm repeating myself a little, but people often don't read.