What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guide for Insects and Pest Prevention

PureSativa420

i never had problems with birds in my backyard, i had bird feeders 10ft away from my plants and i never once seen a bird mess with the plants or even the ones out in the wild, maybe every once in awhile find a lil bird crap on the leaves from them flying over the plants to get to the bird feeders, but never ate or picked at the plants themselves

Stoner thats a nice thread you have there , if you want you can post the information in here for all to read buddy as its very useful and shouldnt be ignored!

Stonerguy

Im sure people will click the link here, you have some nice info up.

I have always wanted to know how I could incorporate companion plants to indoor grows :chin: .

BACKCOUNTRY said:
Protecting your plants from Deer can be a hot topic for outdoor growers, so I compiled some good info for those it may concern.

First lets see what some Deer deterrent tests have revealed about their effectivness-

Soap
Bars of soap are used sometimes with varying effectiveness, shavings are spread around the plot or bars are hung from nearby tree branches. Anyone who decides to use this method should avoid soaps with a Coconut oil base, Deer seem to be attracted to them!

I remember my very first grow I was raising some Donkey Dick and ISS in a park. Well i hung like 4 bars of Coast on some tree limbs right,well i went back the next day and something had went and ate 2 of the bars. Not all of them but like 3/4 of each of two. Now there are all kinds of critters roaming the woods. Gopher Tortoises I know didnt get them.
Uh Coons, Squirrels,Gators,Armadillos, big cats Panthers and shit. O yeah Boars also. I'm guessing it probably was the Coons Who knows.Well a few weeks later something got in those Palmetto bushes and dug them up. They were well enough along where I didnt have to visit the site much so they were dried up and lying next to the holes next time i visited.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I got some hot chem spray stuff that says it lasts a long time and makes leaves taste incredably hot, will see how well it works on deer. Got some copper tape to wrap stalks with, slugs dont like the oxide I think. Got some slug poison because they pretty much wiped me out last year.

G

Great thread here, heres a few tips for slugs,
Collect toads & let them out in your garden, they eat more slugs than anything else for the simple reason there active when the slugs are out ( at night time ) Toads are your freinds look after them. A small garden pond could get you a few hundred of these for nothing. Keep your seedbeds as clod free as possible. Slugs will crawl under clods & in the cracks of your flower bed, so try to make it hard for them, leave a fine tilth or seedbed. Clear away all your garden junk, flower pots, ceramics etc leave them no hiding place. Please take care when using slug pellets, they can contain formaldehyde, or metaldehyde, and the pellet can be made of pasta flour, so birds will eat them. there are more environmental alturnatives, but may not be as good. Place pellets under an old roof tile, plastic sack, etc so birds can not get to them. Any dead slugs you find, please pick up & put in the bin, again birds will pick them up & take to their nest, poisoning the next generation of slug predators. Deter Magpies & squirells from your garden, these eat an enormous ammount of song birds eggs, they also kill young birds. The more bird nests you have in your garden the more mouths they have to feed the less slugs you get. Thrushes eat alot of snails, look after them, they suffer more than most birds at the hands of magpies, the reason is they nest at the top of the hedge, tree, wall, There nests are the first to beseen by flying magpies, usually early in the year when there is less cover.They will reward you by singing beautifully in the evening while you tend your plants, and can eat 20 - 30 snails a day. Nest boxes. Kill every slug you see, 1 slug = 25000 slug eggs. You get the message, I dont like slugs,I like song birds.
cheers.

G

Just one thought on deer control, if the size of plot can justiify it an electric fence is cheap very effective & nearly invisible, insulators could be tacked to trees running two strands high. The battery could be buried beneath ground just leaving the terminals sticking out. The condenser could be painted camo. I,ll dig one out tommorow & take some pics. The wire should be sprayed with paint or aged or rusted. You can boil it in tea till it becomes brown. The wire could run 200 meters or more.
cheers.

G

guest123

farmaz2 said:
Just one thought on deer control, if the size of plot can justiify it an electric fence is cheap very effective & nearly invisible, insulators could be tacked to trees running two strands high. The battery could be buried beneath ground just leaving the terminals sticking out. The condenser could be painted camo. I,ll dig one out tommorow & take some pics. The wire should be sprayed with paint or aged or rusted. You can boil it in tea till it becomes brown. The wire could run 200 meters or more.
cheers.

i use electric fences ... they are easy and work well ...

Wow, thanks for all the great info everyone, im currently having a little trouble with insects, i think i will prolly try some of the sprays if things get any worse.

Something else that works for slugs is to wrap copper wire around the base of your plants. Do a couple loops. Slugs wont cross over the wire, and so they cant get to your plants.

Thanks again for all the info, much appreciated.

Budelaire

This is my land - 100 acres in the forest - Ontario Canada

This place is ideal for stealth growing...

I'll be planting NL x Dutch Treat seedlings on July 2nd... Harvesting time: September 5-10th.

G

This thread is great :yes: Always have to be on top of the pest situation because they can ruin a plant in no time.

~SeñorSativa~

hey puresativa, what do you think about a extreme garlic and spice juice right in a container in the heart of your garden or around it.

R

Relik

Nice thread! Regarding slugs and snails, in my experience eggshells work great. You first need to grind them to small pieces, less than 5mm is ideal, as it provides a sharp surface that the critters won't appreciate.
Moreover, eggshells are more than 90% Calcium carbonate (CaCO3) and break down slowly into Calcium and CO2 with time (action of acids in fact, which react with carbonates), often more than a season is needed for total breakdown.

Good luck :joint: peace

little j

thanks to someone around here with the suggestion of using burnt wood charcoal chunks to keep slugs and snails off. i had to try something and it definitely worked. i think it stopped the moles from diggin in the roots also. im impressed.

abuldur

tape

tape

Slugs and leaf hoppers are stoped by a simple pieces of tape applied on the main branches.Ofcourse you have to put them upside down,sticky part out,this is a leathal trap and cheap.
I also enjoy picking up green praying mantis when i go for a walk.Once you put them in your plants they will stay there cause it is a perfect habitat for them .
They will eat anything and wont dammage your crop.

PEACE

Latest posts

Latest posts