What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Many Forest Gorillas vs Several Forest and Well Tended Plants

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
hey DTOG i forgot to ask, what were you feeding those monsters with?

Jack's Classic Bloom Booster (10-30-20)

picture.php

Then every once in awhile I gave them a tea of Dr. Earth, this stuff :

picture.php

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
G `day Tycho

K so got a battery drill and an auger .
Took it out over the weekend for trials . 3-4 holes only with the standard 1.3 Amp hr battery .
Off to the hardware to buy some more bigger batteries . I want to be able to finish a plot and have battery to spare . .

Thanks for sharin

EB .
A lot depends on the soil. Some is compact, some you can dig with your hands. Of course the easier it is, the longer your battery lasts. But I've only used up all three batteries once.

I found the smaller 3" auger works best. I rake the old dead grass aside with the auger and drill 3 holes in a tight triangle and ream it out with a circular motion while it's still in the hole. It takes me 15-20 seconds per hole (3 in a triangle). I started drilling 3' deep, then I learned root rarely grow deeper than 2 feet. Roots typically spread out along the drip line. So I only drill 24" deep at most and work sideways a little under ground. Only one hole is deep, the other 2 are shallow. I drill 50 holes, sit and have a smoke and a Pepsi, then put 1/2-3/4 cup of ferts in and the edge of the holes. I let mother nature water this.

Most have sat for about 2-3 weeks and a few for 4 while I wait for the seedlings to grow (3-4 weeks). I'll bring out a bin (square storage bin) of supersoil I made up. A big backpack loaded with soil works too, a small hand spade because the holes tend to collapse a bit, and a few jugs of water with nutes premixed for the initial watering.

When I bring out the seedlings, I make sure I don't water them for about 3 days and let them use up the water in the pots. Why carry more weight than you have to? I use the small garden hand spade to clear the hole a bit, drop a handful of soil in the hole, push the pot in the hole, and top dress with another scoop of soil. Next seedling. Once I have them all in the ground, I water them. Any left over soil gets distributed among them. Then it's time for the rest of my Pepsi and a smoke. I pack everything up in the bin or backpack and bring it to my pickup spot. Sometimes I use my ATV, and sometimes I pick it up with the truck.

Ferts:
Fish meal, Blood & Bone meal, Seaweed meal (kelp), Chicken Manure Pellets
Potash, Epsom Salt, Dolomitic Lime.
I carry this in a small pail (2.5 gal?). This gets dropped in the holes when they're dug.

Supersoil:
I use this recipe. Then mix both bags together, and add a box of Mike and a bag of brown sugar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6TDrMJxWU
I use this when planting and as a top dressing.

I recently discovered an abandoned sand pit with 12" of topsoil. I only have another hundred seedlings to go, so this spot will only get 25 this year. If they do well, I'll drop 2-300 here next year (and drop off supplies over the winter with the snowmobile).

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
After a couple weeks, I finally have all but one tray (18) to put out. I had to resort to stapling dog tick collars around the thighs of my rain pants and tons of deet spray. Also put on a mosquito suit to keep the fuckers off me. Bastard tick infestation this year is driving me mad.

The upside is the plants I put out last week are exploding with growth.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
After a couple weeks, I finally have all but one tray (18) to put out. I had to resort to stapling dog tick collars around the thighs of my rain pants and tons of deet spray. Also put on a mosquito suit to keep the fuckers off me. Bastard tick infestation this year is driving me mad.

The upside is the plants I put out last week are exploding with growth.

Damn guys I keep checking myself for ticks and luckily nothing as of yet ......knock on wood.....prolly end up with 10 on me. I know it's very serious but I'm just gonna keep watching/checking.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Damn guys I keep checking myself for ticks and luckily nothing as of yet ......knock on wood.....prolly end up with 10 on me. I know it's very serious but I'm just gonna keep watching/checking.
I never saw one last year. This year is fucked up.

It's only serious if they burrow into you for 12-24 hrs. I read somewhere that there's a vaccine against lime disease so I'm going to check with my doctor and get it if it's available. I'll be in the bush every two-three weeks all summer.

I'm rural, so I strip at the door and everything goes in the wash. I have a shower by the back door (farmhouse) so I jump in and scrub all the nooks and crannies. Found one at the top of my ear yesterday.

I jumped in the pool last week but at 57 degrees, it's just too cold for these old bones. lol.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I never saw one last year. This year is fucked up.

It's only serious if they burrow into you for 12-24 hrs. I read somewhere that there's a vaccine against lime disease so I'm going to check with my doctor and get it if it's available. I'll be in the bush every two-three weeks all summer.

I'm rural, so I strip at the door and everything goes in the wash. I have a shower by the back door (farmhouse) so I jump in and scrub all the nooks and crannies. Found one at the top of my ear yesterday.

I jumped in the pool last week but at 57 degrees, it's just too cold for these old bones. lol.

There was a Lyme's disease vaccine (in the U.S.) but the manufacturer pulled it off the shelf awhile back because of insufficient consumer demand... https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/prev/vaccine.html

Well that sucks. I would totally get it if it was available here. Haven't seen a tick yet this year but I've already gotten mosquito bites and poison ivy.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
The stuff I'm gonna guerilla I'm gonna put a lil marine cuisine and America pride in the hole maybe something else/ a lil top dress.

Easy7

Veteran
Problem with a lot of plants and trying to get so much is all the work. Some of ya all must have crews.

I think too legal minded anymore. About a decade on paper has that effect. But if I smoke, which is rare and far between these days, I get all wet in the boxer shorts to grow a lot. Mostly it's a lot lf work and spend down to get going. Sometimes I wish I had the start up funds and federal permit out at the farm. Before the farm is gone. Be nice to have a few million in the bank legal. I know I could grow a lot these days and that's the concern. It's harder to grow too much indoors because everything is so gear oriented. Outdoors is a lotto and not really known so it's easier to grow too much. Just incase and to get some in. They really do thrive outside when the grower has some years or was a bit sober thinking young.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have to admit growing too much is a worry. But I plan on only picking colas first, and the small stuff if time permits. Best buds get bagged and the rest goes to hash. I'm thinking of doing pre-rolled as well. Hey... if they're selling "pre-ground" weed in dispensaries, why not ride that wagon too. But it could all be moot with a bad season.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
You dont feed weekly or anything in between Tycho? Just top dress veg food at planting and bloom food beginning flower?

I dug the holes with my cordless drill/auger 3-4 weeks ago and dropped a cup of amendments (FBB, chicken, kelp, potash, lime, Myke, etc) in and around the holes. Think of it as making supersoil in every hole.

Then I have a perlite/peat/soil/kelp/chicken mix I use when I plant (bottom of hole and top dressing).

I have a hot mix at flowering for a top dressing. When I open that bin, it smells like a dairy barn. lol.

Water comes from a beaver ponds or bush creeks, but only if it doesn't rain for a couple weeks. Some spots are moist all summer and never dry out.

On another note, I saw my first dragon fly today, and he was a big fucker. Once they come out, it's in clouds and they gobbled up all the black flies and mosquitoes in a couple weeks. Woot!!

Last edited:

Easy7

Veteran
Looks like some of you need the largest bubble bags, and plenty of sets of those.

Do you large growers pretty much know what your growing after harvest? I'd lose track of strains, if more than a few. Given that pheno's can vary quite a lot from plant to plant. Not that people generally know what they smoke around here. Other than brick, way too much brick still to this day.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Bubble bags are too much work. It's good for personal or as a hobby I guess. I go for kief, boil-in-bag, then press. I have to admit, I like 55 gallon pail strainers from CDF Corporation (from 200 to 45 microns @$25 each.) And they're stackable. Add a vibrating platform and it should make nice dry sift.
picture.php

I'm not huge, but I'm large enough for one guy. I track everything. Schedules, sites, strains, experiments, etc.

Schedules in visio using the calendar tool (germination, seedlings, feedings, site/hole prep, amendments, etc)

Excel for strains, experiments, forecasting (advertised yields, expected yields, actual yields), etc.

picture.php

picture.php

Google Earth screenshots and highlighting plots/strains/quantity, soil conditions, etc.

But my systems is haphazard. I've looked at software that does everything, and if I was a commercial grower I might use it, but would probably write my own.

Last edited:

Easy7

Veteran
Hope you keep that software encrypted.

Never ran that much to know best ways to turn so much trim into hash. Seen some personal set ups online for massive ops. Even pulley set ups. If only there was a static hash machine. The concentrate forum barely makes sense to me these days. All sorts of high end fancy devices!

Latest posts

Latest posts