What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

problem with cuttings??

dabulousesp

im having problems with my cuttings as they seem to after 4 5 days fold over and die? asif it was to hot when i have them in a very cool room and regular open the lid daily so fresh air can come in?? ive never experienced cuttings as a problem so really dont know whats wrong?? could it be that the rockwool cubes and coco pellets wasnt ph and the water used is very high ppm as was just tap water and coming out about 850ppm around 1.7 ec. please could have some advise please

oldbean

im having problems with my cuttings as they seem to after 4 5 days fold over and die? asif it was to hot when i have them in a very cool room and regular open the lid daily so fresh air can come in?? ive never experienced cuttings as a problem so really dont know whats wrong?? could it be that the rockwool cubes and coco pellets wasnt ph and the water used is very high ppm as was just tap water and coming out about 850ppm around 1.7 ec. please could have some advise please

I take the cutting and spray the lid on the first day then don't touch them or at least a week, not even opening the lid for fresh air. They need a consistent environment to root for me opening the lid changes that environment

Best of luck amigo!

rykus

If your domes don't mist up- too cold

If domes fully mist up /drip/ feels hot when opening - too warm

If it's cool, opening the domes is not great as it takes so long to get humidity up, plants will stay in stasis and eventually rot, or fall over...

Most rooting success is temp related... But rockwool needs ph adjust for sure!

dabulousesp

im sure its maybe 2 cool in the room i got them in them cause it doesnt seem to be misting as much as usual then so i will kepp lid close as maybe am opening to often aswel thank you for advise guys

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Cool.....

Like 71....or 65....?

So far I've had the best luck with temps above 75 and having consistently adequate humidity. The less moving misting and disturbing in general the better. My method is to use my veg tent as the dome and use small coco cups. TakeRoot and forget it...

For a while I was losing every cut exactly as you described. I don't know why either, they call it damping off.

T

TreehouseJ

I'll take any chance I can get to promote Oasis cubes. pH perfect and lightly pre-charged. They be kind of 'spensive n' shit, but for an idiot like myself, they are completely indispensable. Wet it, set it, forget it. Try them out. Dry(ish) cubes, soaked cubes, well lit, shaded, warmer, colder; they all throw roots. I have had to cull every extra cutting I have taken from my plants after it had already thrown big pretty roots, ever since I made the switch. I feel bad taking any extra cuttings at this point, knowing full well that I am just going to have to murder them in a week.

I also can't stand those cheap flimsy overpriced propagators that won't make an airtight seal, or house a decent sized clone. Translucent air-locking cereal containers ftw.

..That's all I have to say about that.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
sounds like temp issues. The sweet spot is 78f. Your clones are rotting from the stem up...also make sure to have some air flow. That tap water is crazy. I wouldnt let that water any where near my plants.

Invest in a proper dome/tray and also a thermostat and heat mat. Set it @78. Read up on cloning with Rockwool. Much easier than most things out there. Some people just use coco..seems easy enough..but I have personally never tried it.

Cheers

TpM

oldbean

sounds like temp issues. The sweet spot is 78f. Your clones are rotting from the stem up...also make sure to have some air flow. That tap water is crazy. I wouldnt let that water any where near my plants.

Invest in a proper dome/tray and also a thermostat and heat mat. Set it @78. Read up on cloning with Rockwool. Much easier than most things out there. Some people just use coco..seems easy enough..but I have personally never tried it.

Cheers

TpM

Best advice on this thread Sir:tiphat:

Last edited:

chronosync

Well-stoned member
One thing about cloning in coco is that at low temps say 74 and below you are going to wait. It can take 2 weeks, but if your cut looks good 7 days in you can almost bet its going to root. So far, for me.

oldbean

One thing about cloning in coco is that at low temps say 74 and below you are going to wait. It can take 2 weeks, but if your cut looks good 7 days in you can almost bet its going to root. So far, for me.

I've noticed this myself:tiphat: I use coco thanks for the heads up lolz

Slipnot

i doubt its rotting stem up you problem is humidity end of story either soil or medium is not moist enough effecting equalized pressure in the stem , sterile is key healthy cuttings is key. prior to taking cuttings its best to water only for a week prior to taking cuttings to rid plant of some nitrogen temps are key 78 - 81 is happy zone using a dome is key keeping temps and RH high lighting is key

coldcanna

Veteran
These guys are all spot on.... 78 degrees, spray the dome not the cuttings and do it daily, take large cuttings off healthy moms, sterile equipment, Clonex, 1/4 strength PH'ed nutes. I have also found that using rockwool cubes or coir plugs is better than just putting the cutting into a cup of coir, I find the firm nature of the cloning plugs really helps them stand up and gives some support, and when you transplant its much easier. Also trim back larger leaf tips, don't over crowd the dome...

zizration

my cuttings have been rooting up no problem, but the growth tips sometimes brown out and die after they come out of the domes. the plants eventually regen a growth tip but it slows things down. any ideas?

Latest posts

Latest posts