What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vac Chamber purging heat source

Dabology

right now im using a griddle but the temperatures are very inconsistent looking for the cheapest way to get something thats more controlled as with the griddle im getting temps from 90-130 and would prefer a solid temperature with a +- 5F instead of 40F , i tried searching and found some threads with heat mats and such but im not to sure what i need to get if someone could point me in the right direction looking to buy off ebay so direct links would help me out huge thanks

JointOperation

hey.. what about using water? water bath can hold constant temps better then a griddle.. i have a electric pan.. im going to try to use to keep constant temps. but i got the laser thermometer to make sure the oil gets to the correct temp.. and a water temp gauge to see what i need to get the water to .. to get the oil hot enough.. its good to keep a note pad.. and write down exactly wat u do every run. if u try different things.. especially.. if ur doing the same technique.. just right down temps and times..

djelliott916

hey.. what about using water? water bath can hold constant temps better then a griddle.. i have a electric pan.. im going to try to use to keep constant temps. but i got the laser thermometer to make sure the oil gets to the correct temp.. and a water temp gauge to see what i need to get the water to .. to get the oil hot enough.. its good to keep a note pad.. and write down exactly wat u do every run. if u try different things.. especially.. if ur doing the same technique.. just right down temps and times..

Why do all that when you don't have to? Moisture is your enemy, fawk having water and steam that close to my extracts. Plus, I got tired of having to babysit and top off the water.

touringfunkband

Get a circular electric griddle slightly larger then your chamber and then fill the griddle with sand and place your griddle on top. No water, no moisture, and helps stabilize the temp of the chamber.

Sirdabsalot46n2

Veteran
From the link provided in the second post...

It is capable of controlling temps within 1° increments.
As Sky points outs this could be plugged into a PID.
But it's very accurate in it's simplicity.

Hehe .. Sky.... Always learning a lil something from your posts, again; thank you.

@The OP
View Image

This^ is about the cheapest way to obtain a very consistent & even source of heat.
This setup allows me to nail 115° F perfectly.. I can slightly adjust the rheostat in very small rotations and control the temp in 1° increments.

It holds temp with zero spikes or drops in temps.

The griddle= 16$ Walmart... Rival, Deep Dish model
50 lb bag of All Purpose Sand = 3.50$ Home Depot.
Infrared Point and Shoot Temp Gun = 30$ Home Depot
A nice Digital food thermometer = 20$ish

This setup is strictly for the final vac Purge, LONG after the liquid solvent has dissipated.

As pointed out by SKH ... The heating system does spark when the element is heated.

I simply first empty a generous mound of sand directly into the griddle, then even the sand out flat then nestle the chamber into the sand.. Then I pour more sand around the side wall of the chamber.

I like at least 2.5”-3” layer of sand..this buffers the uneven poorly conducted heat from a cheaply made griddle, it essentially turns a very cheap griddle into a dependable precise source of low heat.

The food thermometer is placed into the sand in a fashion where the probe is touching the bottom of the chamber and the surface of the sand.

For me; the food thermometer allows me to monitor the oil temp without having to stop the vac process open the chamber and verify oil surface temps.

Food thermometer reads 138° F

Oil surface consistently reads 115° after many verification temp checks.
Hope this helps.
Happy oil making.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
On days like today I just put the vac chamber in the sun outdoors.. I think it was 86? Plenty hot for our purposes IMO, I saw a chart a while back posted on here with corresponding heat equivalents under vacuum, once you get near 29hg going past 90f is completely unnecessary imo... I prefer a longer vac with lower heat for maximum terpiness, but I'm also not really all that concerned with having 100% butane free concentrate since I'm not scared of a little tane in my lungs and none of my concentrate leaves me. Little to no reaction from the concentrate under vacuum and I'm satisfied.