Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > Questions about starting seeds outdoors.

Thread Title Search
Click for great cannabis genetics at Female Seeds!
Questions about starting seeds outdoors. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2019, 03:28 AM #1
Organilush

Organilush is on a distinguished road
Question Questions about starting seeds outdoors.

This upcoming grow season will be my 2nd time growing, and my first time growing from seed.

I live in northern California, along the same latitude as the SF bay area.

Around when is the earliest I can germinate seed outdoors with out having to worry about the plants going into flower early? With out any supplemental lighting.

And how long after germination will the first signs of a male plant be noticeable?

I don't have the space (or lights) to start them early indoors...But I want to give them as early as a start as possible. I mostly just want to know how many males/females I'll end up with as early in the season as I can because any males I'll likely end up replacing with some clones.

I'm just doing a backyard "home grow", sticking to my 6 plant limit...I've got 6 seeds of "Lemon Wookie Glue" from equilibrium genetics. I'm planning on only germinating 3 seeds and hoping at least two of them are girls, but will be happy with just one out of the three. I want to know how many females I get from those seeds as early in the season as I can, that way I can get some clones to fill out the rest of my 6 plant limit.

If I wanted to go the route of providing some supplemental lighting, as a way of starting the plants outdoors early and not have to worry about them going into flower early....

.....Can this be done by hanging up some CFL lights close above the plants, and having these lights on for just two or three hours (or how ever long is needed) right after sunset? Is that little bit of light (relatively comapred to the sun) for a few hours after sunset enough to prevent them from going into flower early?

Organilush is offline Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 05:32 AM #2
aridbud
automeister

aridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivor
Either start them inside now (artificial light not window light) and ~4-5 weeks transplant outside. Or, small hoop/plastic covering....I use for both veggies and other by seed. Plants I start in 1 gallon nursery buckets. Plants acclimate to heat/cold and protected or you can string lights for warmth. I've had seeds pop up (volunteers) from side walk/porch cracks in mid March in SO CO.

Or get a Wall-O-Water ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW3kjZMov3g
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders growing organically in the USA and offer 27 autoflowering strains, 9 photoperiods in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 13 years, and running strong!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:28 AM #3
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to all
You could pop seeds right now with no supplemental lighting and they probably wouldn't flower early. My buddy does it every year in a hoop with no heat or light and open end walls. They grow pretty slow until it warms up so it's less then ideal. But no early flowering
I popped seeds this time last year in a heated house with no lighting and they grew really fast. Didn't flower early. I supplement light for my clones with a few cfls to keep them from flowering. But the end of the greenhouse that has my seeds, i try not to mess with their schedule. The days are always getting a little longer so they don't flip. You start messing with lights and they Will flip if you cut it out to soon.
CrushnYuba is online now Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 12:29 PM #4
Creeperpark

Creeperpark is a jewel in the roughCreeperpark is a jewel in the roughCreeperpark is a jewel in the roughCreeperpark is a jewel in the roughCreeperpark is a jewel in the roughCreeperpark is a jewel in the roughCreeperpark is a jewel in the rough
Hold what you got! You are way too early to be risking your seeds. I did a outdoor test, starting seeds indoors early and planting another plant a month later outside. At the end, the plant planted later, was the same size, as the early planting. Outdoors a month or two doesn't matter if you are growing the whole season. Just Wait and plant after the last frost date, and you will still get the same harvest in the end. If you had a season that was only 3 months it would be different. What I would be doing now, is working the ground adding a little compost or just throw some hay over your beds to get the microbes working. Planting plants early, die due to unexpected frosts. Plus the mixed photo-period will cause hermies or males . Done THAT!

Last edited by Creeperpark; 02-17-2019 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: add on
Creeperpark is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:37 PM #5
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
In 2017 I tried starting about 4 seedlings outdoors in April May. Different varieties. I like Indica-Sativa mixes.

They all went into flowering & would not revert to veg. Or rather, I gave up on all but one of them, after about a month.

Kept one which gave up the seed which was last year's male, a super hardy survivor type plant. She took about 3 months to get back to veg, and then to join the other plants in a normal flowering cycle in August-September-October.

That's at 42 North with a hill reducing sunlight hours to about 6 hours a day, during the spring.

If you can, I would keep a light on them until about June 21, enough to establish the photo-period you want them to have.

A 30 Degree day feels like a 40 Degree Day

(Degrees F)
St. Phatty is offline Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 04:45 PM #6
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivor
Outdoor start in in CA near the bay area...
I'm thinking fairly soon after the equinox should suit you well.
No later than April 20th...
MJPassion is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:52 PM #7
aridbud
automeister

aridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivor
When ground temps are roughly 55F.
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders growing organically in the USA and offer 27 autoflowering strains, 9 photoperiods in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 13 years, and running strong!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:39 PM #8
dufous

dufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nice
Overnight lows above 50 F.
dufous is offline Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 12:42 AM #9
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to all
I think it's a fine time to start seeds for norcal. Just a tiny bit early. I have popped seeds so many times in feb without flowering problems. I am going to wait until March though because plants will be the same size in the end.
If the plant is in a properly sized pot, with proper nutrients and you don't mess with the light schedule they won't flower.

You said you were at the same latitude as sf. But you didn't say you were in the bay. Are you in the valley like around stockton? Or are you further east into the foothills?
If you are in the valley, i would get popping. People don't realize how weather can be in different parts of norcal. I would build a basic hoop house with a few pieces of pvc and clear plastic. Pop the seeds under a light inside until they just get past the surface of the soil. As soon as you see a couple leafs, bring it outside to the hoop house. Baby them for 2 weeks. Once they are established, leave them in the hoop with one end off the plastic up until chances of rain is gone.
No supplemental lighting.
CrushnYuba is online now Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 01:53 AM #10
art.spliff

art.spliff is a jewel in the roughart.spliff is a jewel in the roughart.spliff is a jewel in the roughart.spliff is a jewel in the roughart.spliff is a jewel in the roughart.spliff is a jewel in the roughart.spliff is a jewel in the rough
Some outdoor Mendocino area strains. I'm relatively clueless how much overlap there is among popular norcal varieties.

I'm sure there are more exclusive cuts than what is available at the dispensaries (which is more than people in many states can say) although I'm optimistic with regards to seeds breeding true. Plants will only improve year after year with growing and breeding from seed.

art.spliff is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.